Menu

Phone Calls from Windows Defender? PSA!

Cottonwood

I installed Windows Defender on my computer when I got it a year ago.  Within the last few weeks, a guy with a strong accent has called a few times, at times when I couldn't talk, to let me know that they, at the Windows Defender Tech Support center, have been getting messages sent from my computer indicating security issues.  At first I told him to call back later, intending to research it, then I went out of town 3 times and forgot.  I just got another call and let him go ahead and tell me what I needed to do to address these security issues. 

Now, first of all, I have been getting friends telling me that they are getting fishy/spammy/inappropriate emails from me so I've had to change my email password a couple times.  I have the Norton Suite also running and have checked and double checked that the email/spam protection is running.  It has been.  I also run my Adaware and Spybot type scanners once a week.  All of my Norton stuff looks good to me.

So, just now this guy had me go to my C: prompt and type in 'cmd', some files popped up and one showed a very extensive number that he says is my computer ID ..something...number with Windows.  He rattled it off, showing that he was a Windows Defender tech and prepared to make my computer secure.  He then had me type in www.support.me which brought this site up.   He gave me a code to type in so the download could start.  I stopped him there and said I need to research this more before I was comfortable going any further.  I have been extremely suspicious from the beginning, but I am suspicious of everyone.   :laugh:   Originally he told me if I wanted, I could write down the steps so I could do this on my own, but once he said that, he started instructing me to do these steps as he's on the phone.  

Does anyone use Windows Defender and have you gotten similar phone calls?  I have to go try to look up what 'services' came with that program.  In no way am I comfortable with someone instructing me in ways that looks into my internal system.  He said he could not access anything, and he was trying to help me correct several security issues on my own.  I was tempted to unplug my router while he told me the steps but then he wanted me to download something from that site, so I just stopped him.

When I stopped him, he was polite but sounded shocked.  He said he'd call back in a few days to finish walking me through this and said 'by all means' do some research into Windows Defender services so I could become more comfortable.

:huh:  :confused1:  :confused1:  :confused1:  :confused1:

ETA:  It's not looking good. !! He just called back and I sweetly asked for his name and number, his supervisor's name and a number to contact him/her.  He gave me some info and then said if I would like to speak to her, he would connect me.  I said yes and instead of getting put on hold, I heard the phone being passed, or dropped and when she came on, I told her I was reporting them to the feds and they hung up on me.  

I've never heard it coming from Windows Defender, but there is a scam of "Windows help desk" calling people in a similar way. The instructions they give allow them access to your computer files. I'm not sure that this is the same thing, but the help desk one has been warned about in our local paper and I'm sure you can find it if you google it.

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

Microsoft is a big company.  Unless you are a large corporation, they will NEVER call you and even then it will be a call from the sales department.

DO NOT FALL FOR IT.  DO NOT DO ANYTHING THEY SUGGEST. LAUGH AND HANG UP.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/received-phone-call-from-someone-claiming-to-be-a/0df5e937-b24c-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Seriously.  Windows Defender has nothing to do with it.  It's just a scam.  They want to hack stuff off your computer like passwords and accounts and gosh it would be nice if you would just run this software and let them hack you!

• Like 4

How would Microsoft get your phone number? I believe that you have been the victim of criminals. Yes, we have used Windows Defender. I believe my wife has it installed now, or that she has used it in the past.  I don't think I have it installed at this time. Not sure if DD has it installed on her Desktop or Laptop.   I do not think there is *any* way Microsoft got your phone number, unless you gave it to them. Doubtful Microsoft would contact a Home user IMHO.  Or, that Microsoft would permit a Home user to contact them...  Be careful...

this sounds strikingly like the "this is the windows technical dept.  your computer is sending error messages" (always a *heavily* accented indian voice)  scam.

which computer?   "your windows computer".  I have eight - which one?   "your windows computer"

dd's friend had lots of fun when they told him his server was sending messages.  "I have 100 servers here - which one?"  your windows server. 

I've hung up on them,  let them talk, I've yelled at them that I'm on the do-not-call-list and don't ever call me again (he argued about that one), I've laid the phone down and walked away.  (if they're talking to dead air - they're not scamming someone else.)

ftr: my dd is a blue-badge MS ops nerd.  her friends are MS ops/tech nerds.  ds is a tech nerd. 

people from windows don't call you on a phone.

eta: the timing was pure coincidence - they do random dials.  just like any other scam.

Scam!  Yup, he was making you give him remote access.  Usually they say they are with Windows or Microsoft but something they say some other software.  The hope is people who do have whatever they say they are with will believe them.  Never ever do what someone who calls you says to do.

• Like 1

There are YouTubes of people who have fun w/ these callers. 

We used to get them all the time.  Sometimes I would respond with, "that's amazing!  We don't even have a computer!"  Sometimes I would play along and have them repeat the directions over and over... and over.

• Like 3

I'm sure they aren't in the US.

Yep and apparently they are impossible to find or track down.  I filed an online complaint with the FCC and there is a form on the Microsoft site as well.

oh oo,  going to look up.  must. have. entertainment.  :leaving:   and ideas for stringing them along . . . . .

There are YouTubes of people who have fun w/ these callers. 

I don't know anything about Window Defender.  But I've been getting calls lately from people with strong accents claiming to work for "Window's support".  As if they are the "windows" company.  Which is very odd because the company is called Microsoft and not Windows.  I just hang up.  When my husband answers he chews them out for being frauds.  

I get these calls frequently although I can say for sure if it's Windows Defender or just Windows Help.  It's usually Kevin or Larry, and I have a hard time understanding them due to their English speaking skills.  My responses range from hanging up abruptly to laughing and asking if they really think I'm falling for their scam. I have on occasion suggested they get a legitimate job.  At that point, they hang up. 

I'm not normally rude, but without fail, they call when I'm in the middle of an algebra lesson or something equally mentally taxing.  After the tenth or twentieth time, I've absolutely no patience left.

I'm sure they aren't in the US.

oh oo,  going to look up.  must. have. entertainment.  :leaving:   and ideas for stringing them along . . . . .

I'm sure they are not.  But the number that showed up today was a Texas number and others are reporting the calls from US numbers in a few states.  I'm pretty sure they are routed in the US in an impossible way to trace.  But I reported it anyway.  Surely nothing will come of it but if everybody reported stuff like this, I think more would get done about it.  There is already legislation going into place in different countries because of this very scam, if you are to believe all the complaints surfacing and a few news reports.  I spent too much time reading this morning. LOL  

• Like 1

I'm sure they are not.  But the number that showed up today was a Texas number and others are reporting the calls from US numbers in a few states.  I'm pretty sure they are routed in the US in an impossible way to trace.  But I reported it anyway.  Surely nothing will come of it but if everybody reported stuff like this, I think more would get done about it.  There is already legislation going into place in different countries because of this very scam, if you are to believe all the complaints surfacing and a few news reports.  I spent too much time reading this morning. LOL  

It could be that they have a VOIP service like a magicJack.  magicJack is one provider, there are others. We live overseas, but I have a phone on my desk that has a phone number in FL, USA.   If I called you, your Caller ID would show you my magicJack phone number.  If you called the FL number, it would ring here...

Search the phone number that called you and see who the provider is. If it is magicJack, or another reputable company, report to them that the number is being used by criminals.

The sad side of what I just suggested to you is that it is incredibly easy to make a phone call and have some other number, including the number that is receiving the call, shown on the Caller ID of the person who was called. Criminals know how to do that. I don't know how they do it, but there have been threads on WTM about that.  Probably they have a device programmed to show that each outgoing call they make is shown as originating from a different phone number.

oh. my. goodness. . . . . :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I have tears  . . . . . :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

playing stupid can be so much fun!

the scammer finally hung up on him.

That led to watching others... for 45 minutes...

• Like 1

"Windows Technical Support" spoofs US numbers along with Rachel and Bridget from "Cardholder Services" and a million other scams. One company even spoofed my phone number so it looked like I was calling myself.  At one point we were getting back to back phone calls from these people--12-15 calls a day.  I turned off the answering machine and refuse to answer any calls that don't look legit.  I keep a log as well and googled every number that called. If you answer, even if its a dropped call and no one is on the line,  they somehow record it as a valid number and never stop calling.  Cutting off the answering machine has been super helpful--most days we don't get any calls at all anymore. 

• Like 1