Menu

What oil do you use for cooking and salads?

I keep an arsenal of ever changing oil in my cupboards. I have come to believe we need to eat a variety of fatty acids, just as we should fruits and veggies, etc...

Coconut oil - abbr = CNO

Palm Oil - red - lots of carotenoids and tocopherols

Palm oil - white - "trans fat free shortening"

walnut oil - omega 3s

sesame oil

rice bran oil

sunflower oil

peanut oil - as an add-in to coconut and palm when I pop popcorn or fry something

grapeseed oil - where most people would use olive oil but I'm allergic

Butter - almost the only thing I use in baking unless I add in a little of CNO or Palm

avocado oil

macadamia nut oil

I really dislike canola oil - I think it has an off taste and I wish it wasn't pushed on us so hard up here in the northern plains. - Jill

1. Olive

2. Peanut for chinese

3. Grapeseed for flavorless oil

4. a drip of toasted sesame in some dishes

5. Toasted walnut for some salad dressings

All of the above except for peanut (allergy), in addition to sunflower, coconut, avacado, and any other kind we can get our hands on.

I mix and match for frying, putting on popcorn, or cooking. I like to use as wide of variety as I can. I don't ever use canola or corn oil, again due to allergies, etc.

Have you used mustard seed oil for Indian cooking? I came across some at our local fruit stand the other day, and wondered how to use it.

LB

I have some unscented coconut I am using for cooking. I also use ghee (clarified butter)- love the flavour. I do a lot of Indian vegetarian cooking and ghee is essential.

Mostly however we use virgin cold pressed good quality olive oil for cooking and salad dressing. Occasionally a drop or two of toasted sesame oil for flavour.

I believe most other oils to be fairly toxic to some degree. We certainly don't touch canola.

Have you used mustard seed oil for Indian cooking? I came across some at our local fruit stand the other day, and wondered how to use it.

LB

If it says it is for food, it is highly watered down. If it says it is for "external use only" it is the real stuff that has been legally imported. There is some evidence that mustard oil is carcinogenic (I think....I think that was the concern). When I was married to my Panjabi ex, he'd bring some fresh stuff back from India, or some the Indian penpals I got on cooking sites would send me some. There are a few dishes it is de rigour.