Menu

me: MM ds: NO

alisha

I finally found the math I like-Math Mammoth. DS doesn't. (we've done Singapore, Miquon, Mathematical Reasoning, Daily word problems, some Evan More Basic Math Skills)

We started 2nd grade MM worktext A in January, and are working through the summer to complete both A & B of 2nd grade so we can move on to 3rd in the fall.

However, ds8 has been dragging his feet for the last few months saying can we just skip math today? etc. I don't have him do every problem, and we stop as soon as I'm sure he "gets" the concept. He's very strong on the word problems and actually seems to enjoy them (we do them orally). So, we had a conversation today about why he doesn't like math. He doesn't want to do math every day (that's semi non-negotiable meaning we will do math 4 days/week) we've skipped a full day before just to see what happens. Well, the following day it starts again. "I don't want to do math today? Can we just skip it?" He wants a "funner math" (meaning not something he has to take time to do much with).

So basically, he's good at math, but doesn't want to take the time to learn and do it. We do 1 lesson a day which takes 10-15 min since we don't do every problem. 

My question is in planning for next year: Do I plan to do MM 3 and just explain that sometimes we have to do things we don't like, while adding in some "fun" math games and such? Or do I start exploring other math curriculums, and what? He might like Teaching Textbooks because it's on the computer, but I've heard it's not as up to grade level as I'd like. I'm trying to figure out Khan, but it's confusing. What else might fit the bill?

I so LOVE MM as I thought I'd finally found what I was looking for, but I guess it might not be if DS starts to dislike math because of it.

Thanks.

I like many things about MM. But it's not an interesting presentation, it's not challenging or creative for most kids, it's dense looking, it's repetitive for some kids who get the concept before MM is willing to teach the algorithm...

Is he bored maybe? I mean, 15 minutes to do the WHOLE lesson? Like, the several pages worth (it's been awhile since we did MM2, but IIRC most of the lessons were 2-5 pages) whole lesson? He's beyond it. It's too easy. If you want to keep using MM, maybe take a placement test and move him way up. Or consider trying something else... like Beast Academy.

• Like 4

It might not be the most exciting curriculum, but the puzzle corners and word problems are good. It sounds like you have tried a lot of stuff in a short time. Doing the entire grade over the summer is major overkill IMHO. Doing all the problems as written over the course of 9 months is also a little on the heavy side. I would go through the chapters, having him do only the chapter reviews. When you get to a chapter he doesn't understand, start there (yay for mastery programs!). Skip the drill sections in favor of games. Don't skip puzzle corner or word problems, but feel free to pare down the incremental steps at the beginning of each lesson.

• Like 5

Thanks all, I'll look into BA seriously. But thanks for your tips on MM, Syllieann! I should have thought of doing the reviews at the end to see if he already knew the stuff. Instead, I had him do half or less of each section problems depending on how much he knew. I'll try that as we work a little longer this school year. I'll also test him on the end of the year test and see how he does sometime in the near future. Thanks so much.

• Like 1

If you decide this is the curriculum (and I don't believe every kid will love every subject) maybe you supplement. My child loves LOF, and I use that as a carrot. Get them all right, and you can do LOF. I explain the goals we are working toward...mastery of multiplication by the end of the year, etc. When they understand the goals and the steps to get there with an exciting accomplishment at the end, that also helps. Some days they don't feel it. My oldest has never said yay math! Except with LOF because he loves the story.

One of the things that strikes me about the OP is how she feels the curriculum is the right one for her. But the right curriculum will be a compromise between what the teacher can teach and what the student can learn from. Or, at least, that's what I've always felt.

• Like 3

None of my kids love MM, but they tolerate it because I omit problems as needed (and occasionally entire lessons) and do other things as a break whenever they seem to be getting too bored with it. I have a whole shelf of "math break" books, plus we do computer game learning/drill, and sometimes practical activities. This week we studied the history of counting, so yesterday we did sums with "body counting" and today we wrote them out in Sumerian numerals, for example. I also bribe the kids by awarding them lunch out with me and dh every time they successfully complete a MM book.

Having said that, I am finding that it isn't a great fit for my youngest, who is faster than her siblings at grasping concepts. We have been through part of 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B in 3/4 of a year (we'd already covered a bit of 1A by afterschooling), with almost no effort on her part. I'm going to see how we go wtih 3A and 3B, as i'm hoping that she will slow down and start learning things she doesn't already know as soon as we can find the right level for her. But it's possible that the incremental instructional style just doesn't suit her. She will often be working things out several steps ahead of where we're at.

My kids will do things that are easy for them without complaint because the time spent goes quickly & is short.

I realize it can be different for various children. When my children don't want to do something, like your son, it is usually due to one of the following:

- they don't have the necessary skills to do the new skill being presented. Some part of the material is overly challenging, or usually beyond their skill abilities.

- the material really is being presented in a way that doesn't teach the skill being asked for.

- the material is presented in a way that is overly simplistic and a bit condescending.

- the material is non engaging in presentation for where they are at in maturity. Thus, they are either bored or don't get it.

After sampling too many math curriculums we have settled into Bob Jones and it works beautifully for all 3 for different reasons. It has enough conceptual & word problems for me, it makes them think, the amount of practice is enough, and it does an excellent job with math facts and review. My kids get math easily, and this has been a better fit and education for us then Singapore since it is a full curriculum on its own.

It helps a lot to find a math niche. When I found BJU though it worked well for all of us. I think it helps immensly if it works for both mom & the children.

• Like 1

For fun but challenging, check out Beast Academy. He may find he loves math after all, or he may decide that Math Mammoth is easy by comparison :P

Yup, this. We've hit our stride with BA, but we're with MM just before and many were the time I heard "I'll do two lessons of MM a day if we don't have to do BA." This after whining about MM. Sometimes I think we just like to whine. ;)

Please take this as I mean it - very gently. You have a second grader and you're on your sixth math curriculum (or supplement). If it were me, I'd pick a math - one you like the scope, presentation, etc and one you can teach. Then, implement it. Every day. No skipping, no days off. Do it. Daily. The more doing math becomes the norm, the more kids give up the fight. For mine, there were consequences for whining or asking to get out of work. Others treat it differently. We still have the rule, "If you ask if it's a full day, I promise you it will be". Now my kids are older they have a lot of input in curriculum, but at 8...nope. Sorry.

• Like 14

My son was like that, and we tried so many curriculums. Singapore, Math Mammoth, CLE, Horizons, Saxon, Beast Academy, Rod and Staff, Math U See... I think that's all. He could do it, and was good at it, but hated doing the actual work and would cry, moan, etc. I decided I didn't start homeschooling to make it drudgery, but to instill a love of learning. We switched to Life of Fred exclusively. He loves it! Doesn't complain about doing math anymore, and is doing stuff way over my head (and I got straight As in math in school!). I pulled out our MM worksheet to do some extra work on multiplication (because we have it, all 6 levels!) and he literally burst out crying over it. We do Big Brainz for fact practice and I just bought Dragon Box for this summer. This is just our experience, and I hope some of that helps!

• Like 2

The first chapter of MM 3A is addition and subtraction and it's really long. If he's very comfortable with this from 2A and 2B, you might be able to just pick a few problems and move through that quickly. The 2nd chapter is multiplication and the 3rd chapter is multiplication tables. The usual money and time chapters are in there somewhere along with geometry and an intro to division.

• 1 month later...

"Please take this as I mean it - very gently. You have a second grader and you're on your sixth math curriculum (or supplement). If it were me, I'd pick a math - one you like the scope, presentation, etc and one you can teach. Then, implement it. Every day. No skipping, no days off. Do it. Daily. The more doing math becomes the norm, the more kids give up the fight. For mine, there were consequences for whining or asking to get out of work. Others treat it differently. We still have the rule, "If you ask if it's a full day, I promise you it will be". Now my kids are older they have a lot of input in curriculum, but at 8...nope. Sorry."

This. I was homeschooled K-12 and am now homeschooling my own. My education was very much about the joy of learning and that's my goal with my kids. But I am thankful that there were things that my Mom decided were a fit for our HS and that she just required. I never liked math and science as much as literature (I'm a language person through and through). That influenced curriculum choices and directions in later grades. But I'm thankful for the solid base of skill I acquired through learning to be disciplined about math even though I didn't love it. In my experience, a math attitude issue can actually turn out to be a character issue that needs to be addressed (I am not talking about LDs, etc).

Just a thought. If he's good at what you're doing and it fits well for you to teach it, then maybe the attitude is the thing to work on?

• Like 2

I agree with those who have gently pointed out that perhaps he thinks if he keeps whining, math will go away. Math needs to be a non-negotiable, even if the 5th day is math games.

However, if you want to try one more (*heh*), look at McRuffy. It is fun, short, and yet absolutely does the trick. The bad thing is that it only goes to fifth grade, so you'd only be in it for about three years before having to switch again.

• Like 3

In general, I think it's more important that a curriculum be a good fit for the TEACHER than for the student.  If you are comfortable teaching MM, and your son just doesn't like math, stick with MM.  

My son is a year ahead in math.  He knows his facts forwards and backwards.  He grasps new concepts quickly.  And yet math is always met with a groan.  Some kids just are like that.  :-)

• Like 2