Menu

So excited for dd!

We have been trying to find a French tutor for dd. She met with one and that tutor was not a good fit at all. She was ok for simple conversation, but she was not able to really answer a lot of dd's questions and would speak to dd mostly in English.

Someone recommended a new tutor. Dd met with her today. She is not a teacher, but she moved here from France in Dec. She and her dh moved here for his job and they will be here for the next 3-5 yrs. She doesn't speak much English at all. She and dd hit it off immediately. It was exciting to see dd sitting and conversing only in French! She told dd that she would love to work with her on composition and conversational skills and told dd that she was so fun to work with that she refused to accept the $30 an hour she had told us. She finally took $20!

This was a total answer to prayer. I am so relieved to have finally found someone for her to work with. I think her dream of being completely conversant and writing at a high level by the end of high school is now a very realistic goal! So, so happy for her!

• Like 47

That is huge!!

Ds never did find a good French Tutor here.  He took 5 years of French, but he really could have benefited from one-to-one discussions.

He is heading to college in the fall, majoring in International Business and minoring in French.  He is not registered for a French class his first semester.  He definitely needs to stay up on the language.  Hopefully, they will have a French club or some sort of discussions he can attend.

• Like 2

That is so wonderful! It sounds like a very good fit.

I need to begin to look for a tutor in French also.  My daughter is now in the 4th month of her French exchange, near Paris, France.  She is speaking fluently, with good vocabulary. She is still working on grammar, conjugation and sentence structure.  She will need to converse regularly in French when she arrives home in August, in order to stay bilingual.  

• Like 1

That is wonderful news. I know how much I treasure our foreign language tutor and how hard it was to find her :)

Finding a local tutor was crazy hard. We contacted the local Alliance Francaise hoping to find someone willing to tutor. Every person we contacted referred her to the one tutor we tried who was a disaster. (She is an unemployed high school French teacher. Dd would ask her questions about specific grammatical constructions and the tutor would give her a blank stare. Dd would have to explain via sentence examples the grammatical form she was asking about. Definitely a teacher who reflects modern American education.)

I think that when they heard that dd taught herself that They thought she was going to be a low level beginner. ;) The new tutor complimented dd a lot and told her that her accent was better than most of the AF members. :) Dd loves her languages and she takes them seriously.

• Like 3