Menu

Saying "goodbye" to curriculum favorites

Anyone else happy to be done with a favorite curriculum, but sad to see it go? We have so many books, it's silly to keep things. I'm boxing up an old Sonlight year, Phonics Museum, etc... to bring to a curriculum sale next week. Happy to have the space, but a little sad to say goodbye lol. Silly homeschool mom troubles.

• Like 6

I think I nearly cried when we finished Miquon.

I still wish Miquon went all the way to college. I joked at the time that I wanted a Miquon Turquoise and a Miquon Black and a Miquon Navy to conquer all the other math curricula.

• Like 11

I still wish Miquon went all the way to college. I joked at the time that I wanted a Miquon Turquoise and a Miquon Black and a Miquon Navy to conquer all the other math curricula.

Help me love it!  I have the whole set, and two soon to be 5 year olds.  I have the first grade diary, but I still don't get it. :confused1:

Help me love it!  I have the whole set, and two soon to be 5 year olds.  I have the first grade diary, but I still don't get it. :confused1:

Well, I have to preface by saying that it didn't jibe with one of my boys. Also that I'm sure it wouldn't work for some people as teachers - a program has to fit you, too...

For us the heart of it was the ability to be flexible with what ds was learning. The discovery behind it was really essential for him. Basically, I would do a lesson a couple of times a week with the rods. And then I might assign a certain page. But much of the time, he was just finding a page in the lab books and trying it. My only rule was that he had to work the threads in order - I love the thread system - I wish there were other programs that used such a system - systematic yet allowing kids to move around between topics. So he felt a sense of control and discovery. There are all these great things about it - I love the way that it goes from problems that are really super intuitive, like, say, 1/2 of 10 = 5, to getting kids to things that are less obvious, like 1/3 x 12 = 4, all in just a few exercises.

I'm also not a huge fan of the FGD... I mean, I like it, but it was actually playing with the rods that helped me get it, not reading about kids playing with the rods. I think now that Education Unboxed exists, it's a great resource. The Annotations became more and more important to us as the program advanced. I barely looked at it in Orange or Red, but by Purple, it was something I referred to often for ideas about how to introduce things.

• Like 3

My son got sad that we're leaving MUS to move to a different curric next year. He's 12 and said, "I need to mourn for a minute." We "mourned" for a minute (sitting there thinking with sad looking faces) and then moved on.

• Like 6

My son got sad that we're leaving MUS to move to a different curric next year. He's 12 and said, "I need to mourn for a minute." We "mourned" for a minute (sitting there thinking with sad looking faces) and then moved on.

This made me smile!

I mourned the fact that next year, I will not be using my favorites like SOTW, FLL, AIG, and many others. :(

We are using the BJU DLO to give me a break and help me heal up a bit. 

I am hoping to go back to my faves after this next year, when I am a bit healthier, and I can take more teacher intensive stuff.

Well, I have to preface by saying that it didn't jibe with one of my boys. Also that I'm sure it wouldn't work for some people as teachers - a program has to fit you, too...

For us the heart of it was the ability to be flexible with what ds was learning. The discovery behind it was really essential for him. Basically, I would do a lesson a couple of times a week with the rods. And then I might assign a certain page. But much of the time, he was just finding a page in the lab books and trying it. My only rule was that he had to work the threads in order - I love the thread system - I wish there were other programs that used such a system - systematic yet allowing kids to move around between topics. So he felt a sense of control and discovery. There are all these great things about it - I love the way that it goes from problems that are really super intuitive, like, say, 1/2 of 10 = 5, to getting kids to things that are less obvious, like 1/3 x 12 = 4, all in just a few exercises.

I'm also not a huge fan of the FGD... I mean, I like it, but it was actually playing with the rods that helped me get it, not reading about kids playing with the rods. I think now that Education Unboxed exists, it's a great resource. The Annotations became more and more important to us as the program advanced. I barely looked at it in Orange or Red, but by Purple, it was something I referred to often for ideas about how to introduce things.

Thank you!  I will see about getting the annotations.  We do EU videos, and love them, maybe that will help me see the light.

That's why you have another child. :lol:

I have several things boxed and awaiting the day my little one is ready.  It will not be pretty when she's done with Miquon, Happy Phonics, and Beatrix Potter.

I may decide to open a bookstore when she's older just so I can pet the books and convince the mothers of other cute little ones to try all the lovely things.  

• Like 7

That's why you have another child. :lol:

I have several things boxed and awaiting the day my little one is ready. It will not be pretty when she's done with Miquon, Happy Phonics, and Beatrix Potter.

I may decide to open a bookstore when she's older just so I can pet the books and convince the mothers of other cute little ones to try all the lovely things.

I told my husband I wanted to open a homeschool bookstore when the kids are gone because it sounds like so much fun. He said there aren't enough homeschoolers to make money with a store like that. He's learned a lot since then. ;)

• Like 1

I have no "curriculum" favorites, but I will miss letting him completely lead the way in all things. I read about the struggles members have with math and writing and think "Oh, this is so much easier. Just stay 4 and keep mispronouncing things. It's adorable."

• Like 3

Aha. You know, for me, the spirit if Miquon lives on in whatever we do. Last evening I was working with the boy on the Art of Problem Solving's Prealgebra, and we were discussing how many of the concepts my son was facing (again) were much the same as what we did when he was 4, 5, or 6. We even broke out the C Rods for fun to show some concepts.

I hope the spirit of Miquon never ends for him. I do believe it opened up the world of mathematics for him in a profound and natural way.

I love Miquon.

Bill

• Like 6

Thank you!  I will see about getting the annotations.  We do EU videos, and love them, maybe that will help me see the light.

Unlike Farrar, I loved the First Grade Diary. It helped me "see" how Miquon could work in practice, and helped me see I could develop my own style.

That said, the Lab Annotations book has the wealth of teaching resources. It has notes on the objectives of individual lab-sheets (lessons), but also very important topical information that helps a parent get across the deeper mathematics to students. The Lab Annotations is a must have.

Bill

We just moved back to the US last month and I had to get rid of lots that I just couldn't justify going into a suitcase.  There were lots of teary moments for me over books especially, but even things like Rod & Staff English books.  Now we're using MP Grammar Recitation, but I really liked R&S a lot and was a bit emotional to part with it.

I am sad to have finished The Complete a Tales of Winnie the Pooh for a 2nd and final time. It is difficult to leave the Hundred Acre Wood.

Final??? My nearly 8 year old still requests this one for bedtime or reads it to herself on car trips. It's a copy I received as a gift in my 20's. No one is too old for Pooh.

• Like 2