Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW21: g.k. chesterton

Robin M

Re Lolita - agree on all levels.  The other "teachings" (???!) that have stayed with me over the years (I first encountered it in college) were the differentiation between the narrator and the author -- this is the book that taught me to distinguish between a main character doing monstrous acts vs. an author advocating or sanctioning monstrous acts.... and also, relatedly, what I've come to think of as the Freedom of Unreliable Narrators.

I have long been a sucker for (well done) unreliable narrators, and this was a deceptively brilliantly done one.  There were the obviously unreliable bits, but then there were layers and layers beyond that...

I'm glad you're glad you read it.  Wow, brilliant, and so deeply disturbing were my reactions as well.  I always feel sheepish admitting that it is one of my favorite books of all time, given the content, but the sheer brilliance of the writing and also how he develops the story, the characters - really sets it in a class by itself.  I actually think it's more disturbing, because of how well written it is. I wouldn't be surprised to find a book with this content just being disgusting, or prurient, but it isn't: it's strangely moving.  And sticks with you.

There are parts I found disgusting, but never prurient, and, yes very moving.  Haunting even.  I don't think I could have read this any younger than now and appreciated it, but this year has been a growthful one for me as a reader.  Thank you again, love, for encouraging me.  (and for having the courage to admit to its status as one of your favorite books, that was what gave me the impetus to actually try it!)

Whoever linked to Sir Arthur Rackham, thank you. I've been enjoying his illustrations today because of you. 

I read too many things simultaneously and am too moody this year for good output, but I finished up a bunch of things. A bit of Charles Portis (mostly his non-fiction). A bit of German Romanticism thanks to a rabbit trail from Borge's Labyrinths (Novalis' Hymn to the Night and others). Herland (feminist utopia).

Some photography books. I loved Eudora Welty: Photos more than Ansel Adams: Classic Images...perhaps because it was more unexpected? Or more people/faces focused? Which reminds me of my feelings of Welty (loved beyond reason) vs. Faulkner (respected but not adored)...is it an aspect of the depth of the personal vs. high and majestic contrast? Inner-to-outward? Female vs. male POV? Fun to think about. I do love the faces though. I think Welty and I just live on a similar wavelength. It was fun to read her interview in the front of the book. 

And dh borrowed the next few Saga collections and told me I was safe to read them. I'm kind of disappointed that I did, although it wasn't as edgy as the first book. I'm just a fragile flower in the modern age, I guess. 

Mmm...reading Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time and really enjoying it. The history geek approves. And some Peter Freuchen Eskimo stuff. Best to all of you this week. Read well. 

• Like 5

I read 'The Communist Manifesto' today.

I'm sure glad Marx didn't have access to FB. 

:lol:   Marx had some interesting cameo appearances in Stoppard's Coast of Utopia trilogy of plays... I find him more interesting in his own historical context, especially in juxtaposition with some of the other writings and thinkings and struggles of the times.  

First, I would never have opened Guantanamo Diary without Stacia's encouragement.  <snip>

Eliana, I do think that you too can face this one as I did.

For one thing, Mohameddu Ould Slahi gives a lesson in resilience.  Chance places us where we are--but shift our geography or our decade of birth and any of us could be in other circumstances.  I have often said that I read certain books to keep memory alive.  What shocks me about Guantanamo Diary is that the author does not need me to keep his memory--he remains imprisoned fourteen years after turning himself in to his government's police for questioning.

This book raises questions on how our government acted in the days and months following 9/11.  I cannot help but wonder about the sort of mind that devised a plan to place people on land outside of the US (ironically Cuba) so that US law would not apply despite US control of the facility.  These prisoners were initially denied basic protections of the Geneva Convention.  Fortunately that has changed but as an American I find it mind boggling that we tortured prisoners here.  My friends, we are better than that. 

Guantanamo Diary reminds us that memory is short. Yes, Mohameddu Ould Slahi was a member of al Qaeda--but that was back when the US supported al Qaeda and other Mujahadeen groups in their fight against the Soviet occupation in Afghanistan during the Cold War. 

And Guantanamo Diary provides an amazing lesson in self education.  The author learns his fourth language (English) at Guantanamo.  He polishes his grammar and writes in idioms.  After several years of imprisonment he is given access to books:

Faith in God and curiosity for life are the ingredients that keep Mohameddu Ould Slahi going.  Amazing.

Thank you Stacia for recommending this book

Thank you, Jane (and Stacia!)  I am convinced that a reading experience I am coming to feel is obligatory will be within my range of tolerance.

This sounds as if it is an incredibly important book, and hearing this story feels like (much needed) witnessing.  ...though in this case, it seems there should be something that could be *done* about this... I can't even find the words to encapsulate it...

Stacia, do you know who is still working on Gitmo related activism?

We're celebrating the third and final graduate of the family-centered learning project,

The Subprimes is a satire that read so "true" that it was actually more frightening than funny. Although this thread stays remarkably angst- and controversy-free, the widening gap between "haves" and "have-nots" is discussed vigorously elsewhere on the boards. Folks interested in that divide will love Subprimes.

Congratulations, love!!  Wishing you continued joy from you amazing daughters!  ...and that this next stage of life is a serene and growthful one for you.   :grouphug:   ...and sending you love.  I imagine watching your daughters launch might trigger some bittersweet memories.  :grouphug:

Social justice is an issue very dear to my heart.  I will definitely look into Subprimes, thank you.

I'm supposed to be reading The Invention of Wings, the book I chose for book club. Instead I'm thoroughly enjoying Far From the Madding Crowd, the book I originally wanted to choose. I'm having a hard time putting it down.

I have always admired Hardy's prose (and I'm very fond of some of his poetry), but the novels I read were so intensely depressing, I have never been able to bring myself to continue with his oeuvre or to revisit the ones I'd read.  (With the exception of the, rather slight, Under the Greenwood Tree).  It sounds as if this is less claustrophobic?  Less grimly miserable?  (Perhaps I am being completely unfair to Tess and Jude - I was very young when I read them, and was an even wimpier reader)

I finished No Cause for Indictment: An Autopsy of Newark by Ron Porambo last night. It's a sprawling book, taking on racism, the Newark riots, the Mafia, crooked & militant police, corrupt politicians, feeble justice institutions, failing medical & educational systems, a meek Fourth Estate, & more. Porambo apparently went where others wouldn't, interviewing & pounding the pavement for four years to gather his information for this book (as well as for numerous newspaper articles & series he wrote on the topics). As a piece of journalism, it is not neutral -- not at all; Porambo is angry on behalf of the citizens of Newark & it shows in his acerbic writing. Even though the 40th anniversary reissue was apparently edited more than the original version, there is still plenty of personal vitrol left & he skews strongly against all the people & institutions he takes on; he even skewers Newark's newspapers for being weak & unopinionated when he feels they should have been leading the charge. Since I was not familiar with the Newark riots prior to reading this book, nor was I familiar the local politicians & influential people, I did get a bit bogged down in the sheer numbers of individuals covered in this book. It is sometimes hard to follow along as the book jumps around between topics even though, ultimately, it's all interrelated -- so many factors feeding into the slow & ugly demise of a city & its people, so many deaths that were completely overlooked or ignored. After all of the investigating & work, the afterword covers Porambo himself years later with an odd & bitter ending. Even with its weaknesses, I think it's an important book, a raw piece of American history. Unfortunately, it also shows how little progress we've made in almost 50 years. Despite its flaws, it is a scathing book that is worth reading.

Thank you (again), Stacia.  I've added this to my lists.

I did sit down and watch some youtube clips of the HBO series.  I would definitely *not* want to watch this show.  I don't know what it is exactly about the difference between reading about fictional violence and seeing it on the screen.  Is it that we are just more visual as a species? Or that our brains don't do a good job of knowing that something we see isn't real?  In any event, the show - no thank you.  But I will read the third book.

That's fascinating.  I find books more 'real' than movies in some ways, and can tolerate certain elements better on the screen than in a book... but I'm weird.  

Also re-read Court Duel by Sherwood Smith --- I've re-read this one at least 10x so far  :)

It is a favorite comfort reread for a number of us in my family... 

I assume you've see some of the related short stories (and the scenes from Vidanric's point of view)?

Hello ladies from a long-lost BaWer  :seeya:

:hurray:  Oh, love!  How wonderful to see you here again!!!  

re Jo Walton

:iagree: OK, that is... a tour de force.  Veritable Dalai Lama of compassion, yet with an edge, keepin' it real for those of us a bit closer to the ground...  For some reason despite all your ceaseless nagging I haven't read any Jo at all.  Where to start?

Oh, dear.  Have I been nagging?  I'm sorry.

For you, I'd guess The Just City.  Athena brings together a collection of people across the ages who have prayed to her (in some fashion) to help them establish Plato's just city.  ...and Apollo, just after the Daphne turning into a tree incident, is trying to understand why, and decides to become incarnate and learn about volition and "equal significance".  (Given that strand, this book could be trigger-y for readers).

Or, perhaps, My Real Children which, because of the structure of the story, goes into less depth with each character, but does some really beautiful things.

The only book of hers that hasn't grabbed me is (ironically) her Hugo winning Among Others. 

I have always admired Hardy's prose (and I'm very fond of some of his poetry), but the novels I read were so intensely depressing, I have never been able to bring myself to continue with his oeuvre or to revisit the ones I'd read.  (With the exception of the, rather slight, Under the Greenwood Tree).  It sounds as if this is less claustrophobic?  Less grimly miserable?  (Perhaps I am being completely unfair to Tess and Jude - I was very young when I read them, and was an even wimpier reader)

No, unfortunately it's typical Hardy so far. I do like his prose even though his stories are depressing. I did have to put it aside though because our book club meeting is Tuesday and I'm just over half way through our book. I'll get back to it once I've finished with The Invention of Wings

Jenn W finished it not long ago, last week I think. Maybe she'll chime in. 

• Like 4

Today I was reading An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir.  The story was intriguing; however, I ultimately put it down after 200 pages (out of 464) because it was a little too violent for my taste.  It's a book that has received a lot of favorable press, so others might wish to give it a try.

“[An Ember in the Ashes] thrusts its readers into a world marred by violence and oppression, yet does so with simple prose that can offer moments of loveliness in its clarity. This complexity makes Ember a worthy novel—and one as brave as its characters.†—The New York Times Book Review

“Fast-paced, well-structured and full of twists and turns, An Ember in the Ashes is an evocative debut that has left me invested in knowing what happens next.†—NPR

“Tahir’s deft, polished debut alternates between two very different perspectives on the same brutal world, deepening both in the contrast. In a tale brimming with political intrigue and haunted by supernatural forces, the true tension comes from watching Elias and Laia struggle to decide where their loyalties lie.†—Publishers Weekly, starred review

“This novel is a harrowing, haunting reminder of what it means to be human—and how hope might be kindled in the midst of oppression and fear.†—The Washington Post

"Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

No, unfortunately it's typical Hardy so far. I do like his prose even though his stories are depressing. I did have to put it aside though because our book club meeting is Tuesday and I'm just over half way through our book. I'll get back to it once I've finished with The Invention of Wings.

Jenn W finished it not long ago, last week I think. Maybe she'll chime in.

Not Jenn W, but I also just finished Madding Crowd. I had first read it several decades ago, back when it was on 28 cassette tapes (!). Very sweet, actually, and far less depressing than, say, Return of the Native, which my son and I read last summer. I have since gotten three friends of mine to read it, too, and they're enjoying it. There were several laugh-out-loud passages, and some amusing local color -- with awesome names, almost Dickensian. I'm not saying it's "light," but it's not as dark as much of his other stuff. And I confess to a minor crush on Gabriel Oak ... :)

I'm currently reading GKC's autobiography, which is why I clicked on this thread in the first place (in the past, the words "book a week" have scared me off!). It will take me more than a week, though -- every page has insights I need to chew on ...

• Like 7

Jenn, before I forget your New Mexico trip sounds lovely. Great picture.

i am finally reading a Prachett, just not one of the books dd had intended me to read http://www.npr.org/2015/02/09/383875652/an-early-peek-at-pratchett-in-dragons-at-crumbling-castle. Dragons at a Crumbling Castle is adorable. Most of the stories are rather short. Great illustrations and some are pretty humorous. I may have to buy this for my future grandchildren. It is one I would enjoy reading to little ones.

It has been a stressful week. I managed to find a quick humorous series to cheer myself up but the titles sound really inappropriate (I can't think of a better word). The Naked Nobility series by Sally Mackenzie is simply pretty light even for fluff, quick reads, adult content. The first one is The Naked Duke http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/sally-mackenzie/naked-duke.htm. So far they all start with a scandalous meeting where a nice young lady meets a titled man, who happens to be looking for a wife, who for some reason is less than fully dressed.

• Like 5

Yep, I did read Far from the Madding Crowd this month.  It is decidedly NOT grim or claustrophobic.  Instead it is full of pastoral light and beauty with a strong, complex, flawed yet likeable heroine. I really enjoyed it and was interested in attempting his other novels again until I read some of the comments in this thread! Jude was the last one I tried and I could not endure it!  One motivation for revisiting Jude is that I think there is an audio book version with Alan Rickman as the narrator...   Are all Hardy novels filled with hapless, impulsive and hormonally single-minded men?!  

Wait -- it is Return of the Native that Rickman reads.  You can listen to a sample here on Audible.  

• Like 5

This month passed way too fast. How did your inferno or purgatoria read go? Are you still plugging away, never started or finished?

:bigear:   Uh oh... No news is either good or bad. 

Judicious June's author flavor of the month is Alexander Dumas. I have yet to read any of his books. :svengo: Yes, I know. Thoughts on a read along - Three Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo or Man in the Iron Mask or one of his Less well known (at least to me) ???

Hmmm.  No opinion. Okay - it's a free for all.  Working on Sunday's post.

• Like 4

Not Jenn W, but I also just finished Madding Crowd. I had first read it several decades ago, back when it was on 28 cassette tapes (!). Very sweet, actually, and far less depressing than, say, Return of the Native, which my son and I read last summer. I have since gotten three friends of mine to read it, too, and they're enjoying it. There were several laugh-out-loud passages, and some amusing local color -- with awesome names, almost Dickensian. I'm not saying it's "light," but it's not as dark as much of his other stuff. And I confess to a minor crush on Gabriel Oak ... :)

I'm currently reading GKC's autobiography, which is why I clicked on this thread in the first place (in the past, the words "book a week" have scared me off!). It will take me more than a week, though -- every page has insights I need to chew on ...

Yep, I did read Far from the Madding Crowd this month.  It is decidedly NOT grim or claustrophobic.  Instead it is full of pastoral light and beauty with a strong, complex, flawed yet likeable heroine. I really enjoyed it and was interested in attempting his other novels again until I read some of the comments in this thread! Jude was the last one I tried and I could not endure it!  One motivation for revisiting Jude is that I think there is an audio book version with Alan Rickman as the narrator...   Are all Hardy novels filled with hapless, impulsive and hormonally single-minded men?!  

Wait -- it is Return of the Native that Rickman reads.  You can listen to a sample here on Audible.  

Well, this is good to know. I've already read a few chuckle-worthy passages and am glad to hear they're not uncommon. I don't know about all of Hardy's men, but all of his women I've "met" so far are complex and more independent-minded than you'd expect them to be for that time period.

Hopefully Eliana will see these posts too. 

Laura, don't be afraid. We don't actually have reading requirements. All lovers of reading are welcome. 

Jenn, I haven't read Return of the Native, but if Alan Rickman reads it I'm pretty sure I can handle it. :)

• Like 7

Today I finished Robin D. Owen's Ghost Killer (The Ghost Seer Series) which is the third book in her newest series.  The book seemed a bit more difficult to get into that the previous books; however, I ultimately got caught up in the story and enjoyed it.  I do recommend starting with the first book in the series, Ghost Seer, as the story builds.

Each volume has dealt with a character (the Ghost Seer for which the series is named) who must deal with ghosts from the American Old West.  The books seem well researched, and the author comments at the end of each volume on which details are historically accurate.

Here's the description for this most recent volume:

"Something wicked this way comes…

When her aunt died, level-headed accountant Clare Cermak inherited a fortune—as well as a phantom dog and the power to help ghosts move on. Her new gift led her to Zach Slade, a sexy private investigator with a unique psychic gift of his own, and the man who’s slowly opening her heart. But as they work toward building a future together, a sinister threat emerges.

An evil ghost is ravaging Creede, Colorado, threatening to devour the spirit of an innocent boy. Inexperienced in facing such a powerful ghost—and knowing her spirit, too, could be ripped away—Clare still can't refuse to help. With Zach’s support she uncovers the ghost’s identity, and the ancestral weapon required to slay it. But does Clare dare to use that weapon before the ghost destroys the man she loves—and her own spirit?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Well, this is good to know. I've already read a few chuckle-worthy passages and am glad to hear they're not uncommon. I don't know about all of Hardy's men, but all of his women I've "met" so far are complex and more independent-minded than you'd expect them to be for that time period.

Hopefully Eliana will see these posts too. 

Laura, don't be afraid. We don't actually have reading requirements. All lovers of reading are welcome. 

Jenn, I haven't read Return of the Native, but if Alan Rickman reads it I'm pretty sure I can handle it. :)

I agree about Hardy's women. In fact, I've heard it was the uproar after Jude that made him stop writing stories and concentrate on his poetry. At the end of Madding Crowd he talks about how if women and men could only work at the same jobs, instead of gender-specific roles, there would be more friendship and real love and respect between the sexes. 

Kathy, thank you for the welcome! :) I will hang out here from now on!

I have the Alan Rickman CDs for Return of the Native, and listened to them last summer. Wonderful. I loved the book, and intend to read it again someday, but found it so sad ... I had read it, blithely, as a teenager or young adult, but this time around I found the passages about the mother of the "native," Clym Yeobright, almost unbearable to read, now that I am the mother of two young men who are making their own choices in life :glare: :laugh:  ... The story is full of mixed signals, dropped balls, giving-someone-the-benefit-of-the-doubt-but-it-turns-out-it's-too-late ... sigh ... In the past year I've read three books that have actually caused me to make better day-to-day decisions in my life -- one is Return of the Native (negative examples!), and one is Madding Crowd (positive example of Gabriel Oak. Did I mention I have a mild crush on him?? :) )

So for Return of the Native I listened to Alan Rickman, read the text, and found some wonderful illustrations online to give me an idea of the landscape (a map Hardy himself drew here -- with Hardy's letter here -- and lots of Wessex maps here) and the characters (what does a reddleman look like?! what is furze, anyway?! :) ). SPOILER ALERT! The illustrations accompanied the serialized novel, so don't look at the later ones if you don't want to know what's coming!

Back to Madding Crowd: here is one chuckle-worthy passage I remember (Ch. XXI):

GABRIEL OAK had ceased to feed the Weatherbury flock for about four-and-twenty hours, when on Sunday afternoon the elderly gentlemen Joseph Poorgrass, Matthew Moon, Fray, and half-a-dozen others, came running up to the house of the mistress of the Upper Farm.

"Whatever is the matter, men?" she said, meeting them at the door just as she was coming out on her way to church, and ceasing in a moment from the close compression of her two red lips, with which she had accompanied the exertion of pulling on a tight glove.

"Sixty!" said Joseph Poorgrass.

"Seventy!" said Moon.

"Fifty-nine!" said Susan Tall's husband.

"-- Sheep have broke fence," said Fray.

"-- And got into a field of young clover," said Tall.

"-- Young clover!" said Moon.

"-- Clover!" said Joseph Poorgrass.

"And they be getting blasted," said Henery Fray.

"That they be," said Joseph.

• Like 6

This memoir, currently free to Kindle readers, sounds intriguing. 

Love at the Speed of Email: A Memoir by Lisa McKay

"Lisa looks as if she has it made. She has turned her nomadic childhood and forensic psychology training into a successful career as a stress management trainer for humanitarian aid workers. She lives in Los Angeles, travels the world, and her first novel has just been published to some acclaim... But as she turns 31, Lisa realizes that she is still single and increasingly wondering where home is and what it really means to commit to a person, place, or career. When an intriguing stranger living on the other side of the world emails her out of the blue with an extraordinary proposal, she must decide whether she will risk trying to answer those questions. Her decision will change her life."

Angel, here's a review that might speak to you.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Started Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller last night. Gripping!!! I really love it so far. Here's an excerpt: http://www.npr.org/books/titles/138350982/dont-lets-go-to-the-dogs-tonight-an-african-childhood#excerpt

I want to read Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King soon, so that's going on the list. Still reading What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman, and listening to Jane Eyre with the boys--lovely. 

1 The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

2 The Motivation Manifesto by Burchard

3 The Magic Art of Tidying

4 The One and Only by Giffin

5 One Way Love: Inexhaustible Grace for an Exhausted World

6 Not that Kind of Girl by Dunham

7 The Search for Significance by McGee

8 10% Happier

9 To Kill A Mockingbird--audio book.

10 Unbroken with DS-audio

11 Mastering Tung's Acupuncture--for work

12 You Are A Badass