Menu

Update on dh

Debbi in Texas

About a week or so ago, I posted about dh having soreness in his right side and a low grade temp. Last Wednesday he had a CT scan and Thursday he got a call that he had appendicitis and to go to ER.

He did not have classic symptoms of appendicitis!! As a matter of fact, he thought he had just overdid it exercising.

Dr. said from the looks of it after he got in there, it had burst about a week before. Who knew? This is the most bizarre case of appendicitis I ever heard of.

We got home from the hospital today and he is resting now, although he has had a painful day-trip home, probably.

• Like 13

Oh my! It's amazing that it burst and he lived to tell about it. My mom once told me my dad's burst and it was bad--emergency surgery for him. I had mine out when I was 19yo but I had classic symptoms and it didn't burst. Back then they made me stay in the hospital 4 days, though. I was easily tired for about 2 weeks post-surgery so make sure he takes it easy for a bit.

Hugs to you both. That must be scary thinking of what might have been. :grouphug:

• Like 2

My husband had one (not burst) and thought he had gotten food poisoning.  He even told me to go to an all day activity with 3 of our children because he would just lay around and take care of our oldest.  Before we left, I said, "Please tell me you're not going to call me from the hospital".  He assured me it was food poisoning so we left.  Sure enough, 3 hours later, he calls from the hospital with appendicitis.  Mommy sense rules!

My son also didn't have classic symptoms.  He had what I thought was the flu.  The next day, he was in a lot of pain because the stupid thing had burst apparently 24 hours before.  Absolutely no symptoms beyond what I thought was a 24 hour flu.  He had no tender spots and no pain before the thing had spread infection all throughout his abdomen.

Two kids with appy's so far.  Our pediatrician teased us by saying, "Well, you knew enough this second time to get to the hospital before it ruptured." 

I now will always jump to the conclusion that it's appendicitis.  :-)

I wasn't surprised when he gave me the diagnosis. The CT scan didn't even show the rupture-they waited til the next day for the surgery.

Thanks to everyone for the prayers and good wishes. Now got to get him mended with no infection. He wants to go back to work Monday, but I don't see that happening.