Menu

Math for 1st grader that hates worksheets?

December

Ray's Arithmetics don't have worksheets.

Hunter posted some links to vintage math books that don't use worksheets. Maybe she'll pop in and post those again. :-)

I never wrote in a workbook the whole time I was in school, which is to say that the whole thing with workbooks is a fairly new phenomena.

You might consider Rod and Staff. Although there are worksheets, they only reinforce the oral classtime, which is where the actual instruction takes place.

• Like 2

I know you already know about it, but I LOVE Right Start B for first grade!  There are also a lot of good activities in MEP 1a and 1b.  YOu could do the activities without doing the writing on the worksheets.  I would think most first grade math programs could be done orally.

• Like 1

My digital native didn't use the worksheets for Saxon, just the Meeting (Morning Time) and the games.

It was a huge improvement.

Numerals have been a regular part of handwriting practice and his are much neater than his siblings' were at this age.

We are doing Saxon this year (1 and 2) and it is SOOOO boring for my son.  So, eventually I looked at the lesson and figured out a way to teach it while making it fun.  So, for some lessons I would use mini m&m as our manipulatives.  A lot of days instead of the boring drills of adding endlessly I had them roll a dice and it together.  roll it twice to make a two-digit number, add them together.  One day my son was really struggling with the worksheet, whining, crying, etc (adding two-digit numbers), when he finished I told him I had an activity for him: put numbers from our foam number puzzle in a big box full of rice and pasta and beans (sensory bin), find the numbers to make two-digit number, add them together....he was SO excited.  When it was the exact same activity he had been complaining about .5 seconds before.  We also do uno adding or subtracting.  Roll a dice or draw a card and put it in the 100s, 10s and 1s place.  after doing that 6-8 times, which is your largest number?  which is your smallest?  we still use a curriculum that does have worksheets, but adding in those fun extras makes them excited and way more cooperative!

Everyone in our family, including myself, learned pretty much all math through second grade, month four, through Lego alone... I'm not suggesting it without a lot of discussion, but I personally think that building using bricks with clearly delineated studs does wonders for a child's math sense. Just a thought. :)

Have you looked at Spielgaben? It's a bit pricey, but then again, so is Right Start. If you end up buying more than one level of RS, it'd be the same as the cost of Spielgaben, I think. It does come with guides, including math guides. I also like Math Lessons for a Living Education (which is free online).

• Like 1

One more idea. How about doing MEP as just the lessons except on Friday do the worksheet (the pages that are multiples of 5 review the entire week's work). You could put some parts on a white board, but it also includes some kinesthetic things at that age like lots of clapping out or stomping out the numbers.

• Like 1