Menu

Requesting a birth certificate

DawnM

I need a birth certificate copy for my son.  We can't locate the copy we had.

Would it be better to request it through the county or the state?   (it is Los Angeles County if it matters.)

UGH.  Short of hopping on a plane, I am subjected to the slowness of ordering by mail.

Dawn

• Like 1

In CA, birth certificates are issued by the county. My boys were born in northern CA, and I have ordered replacement "orginal" (certified) birth certificates for at least two of them since we moved here. I was able to do it online. The fee for expediting the process wasn't bad at all, and I did get the one very quickly when I did that.

Start by googling birth certificate and the name of the county. Good luck!

• Like 1

I've had to request a few birth certificate copies from LA County and have done it on line, with them mailing it directly to me.  It's cheaper than buying a plane ticket and I do think you can request it overnight [or maybe it's 2-day] for an extra fee

I've had to request a few birth certificate copies from LA County and have done it on line, with them mailing it directly to me.  It's cheaper than buying a plane ticket and I do think you can request it overnight [or maybe it's 2-day] for an extra fee

I didn't see a place to do it 2 day, I saw expedited, which is still a 10 day turn around plus mail service time

Do you have a link to something faster?

In CA, birth certificates are issued by the county. My boys were born in northern CA, and I have ordered replacement "orginal" (certified) birth certificates for at least two of them since we moved here. I was able to do it online. The fee for expediting the process wasn't bad at all, and I did get the one very quickly when I did that.

Start by googling birth certificate and the name of the county. Good luck!

I do see a place to order from the state (Sacramento.)

Online applications still require a motorized copy and scanning.  

It has changed since the last time I ordered a birth certificate a few years ago!

Just a suggestion...  When we did that, it was just a little more to order two.  So, we ordered two, one for my son to keep and one for me.  I can't believe the number of times he has had to show his birth certificate over the years! 

• Like 2

In MD, we were able to go to any county's department of health, pay, and have one printed right there. (PA sends you the birth certificate right after the birth is registered, for free, and you can request replacements online , I think; MD merely registers the birth and sends you a notification of that, but you have to pay and request an actual cert. We didn't have one for DS1 until he was almost two, and only then because we needed a new copy of DH's so he could get a new social security card because his had been lost. Since they were both born in MD, and we had just moved back to PA, we ran down to MD one day to get DH's and figured we'd go ahead and get DS1's at the same time.)

In MD, we were able to go to any county's department of health, pay, and have one printed right there. (PA sends you the birth certificate right after the birth is registered, for free, and you can request replacements online , I think; MD merely registers the birth and sends you a notification of that, but you have to pay and request an actual cert. We didn't have one for DS1 until he was almost two, and only then because we needed a new copy of DH's so he could get a new social security card because his had been lost. Since they were both born in MD, and we had just moved back to PA, we ran down to MD one day to get DH's and figured we'd go ahead and get DS1's at the same time.)

Right, but I live in NC and they were born in CA.

Just a suggestion...  When we did that, it was just a little more to order two.  So, we ordered two, one for my son to keep and one for me.  I can't believe the number of times he has had to show his birth certificate over the years! 

This is what we did too.  We ordered each child a copy for when they move out and one for us to keep.  Each time I have needed the official copy, it has caught me off guard and I was happy to have it on hand.  I thought it would be nice for them to have one so they don't have to figure out a way to get it from me and visa versa. 

We are ordering two.  One has to go off to the passport agency (they rejected our last one) and is ordered expedited.  The other will stay with us as we may not get the passport one back soon enough so we need to get a state issued ID.

UGH.

Dawn

• Like 1

Vital statistics is where we have always gotten ours. Borough by borough (or county by county, in another state).

We have always had to wait anywhere from 3-6 weeks. They can expedite them for a fee in two weeks, but it's dodgy.

I did.  They said I need to go through VitalChek.com and it is a 10 day min. wait.

EEK....  Here in Colombia birth certificates and many other things (real estate transactions, etc.) are done by a Notary Public. Nothing like a Notary Public in the USA.  Since DD is a minor, we needed a new (certified) copy  of her birth certificate issued within 90 days for her application for a new Colombian Passport.  I was lucky. I went in there and walked out of there about 20 minutes later with the new copy.  You might be at the same disadvantage even if you were in the L.A. area, trying to get this. A PITA....

Just a suggestion... When we did that, it was just a little more to order two. So, we ordered two, one for my son to keep and one for me. I can't believe the number of times he has had to show his birth certificate over the years!

This is such a great idea!