Menu

Favorite board games and read alouds with your 8(ish) year old girls?

AimeeM

I'm going to try to get my niece up to visit this summer. I realized, though, that I have either "very young" books and games (think Candy Land) or "much older" books and games. I haven't had an 8 year old girl around longer-term in many, many moons :P

I know she loves to be read aloud to from the Magic Treehouse books, but I'm going to let her come to the bookstore and pick some of those out (her teacher reads them aloud, and I gave her a few I had hanging around when she visited last, so I'm not sure which she has and hasn't read). What other read alouds are good for this age? My daughter loved Harry Potter at 8 (me reading it to her), but I'm not sure it's every little girl's flavor. 

Board games? We love board games :) 

My 8 y/o enjoys the game Headbands. We are also teaching her Rummikub (rummy tile). We do puzzles together as well.

A read aloud we just finished was The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Maybe find out what plays will be going on at the junior playhouse if you have one and read that book aloud and go see the play.

Games: Ticket to Ride, Takenoko, Water Lily, Burg Appenzell, Carcassonne, Zooloretto Mini

Read alouds: The Trumpet of the Swan, Beverly Cleary's Ramona series, 5 Children and It, the Borrowers, All of a Kind Family, Alice in Wonderland, the Oz series

• Like 1

Dd's favorite games at age 8 were Sleeping Queens (a Gamewright card game) and Mancala.

MTH books as read alouds? UGH!!! They are good for beginning readers, but not real literature and tortuous to listen to, IMO.

Let her read them independently and introduce her to something far better! There are zillions of lists here. Pick a classic!

The year Dd was 8 some of her favorites were: The Princess and the Goblin, My Side of the Mountain, Half Magic, Narnia, Caddie Woodlawn, and Misty of Chincoteague.

I asked my almost 8 year old daughter.

Tuesdays at the Castle

The Witches by Roald Dahl

The Night Fairy

Those were the ones that popped into her head but she could have added a dozen more that she loves: Boxcar Children, Wizard of Oz, Betsy-Tacy, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Light Princess, Fortunately the Milk, Nurse Matilda, The Giants and the Joneses.

Dd's favorite games at age 8 were Sleeping Queens (a Gamewright card game) and Mancala.

MTH books as read alouds? UGH!!! They are good for beginning readers, but not real literature and tortuous to listen to, IMO.

Let her read them independently and introduce her to something far better! There are zillions of lists here. Pick a classic!

The year Dd was 8 some of her favorites were: The Princess and the Goblin, My Side of the Mountain, Half Magic, Narnia, Caddie Woodlawn, and Misty of Chincoteague.

I love MTH :) I'm not looking for real literature, per se - just enjoyable for her. She cannot read them on her own; she struggles with reading. I love Caddie Woodlawn! I have and Narnia on my shelves already, I know. 

I've never heard of Sleeping Queens. Off to Amazon!

Games: Sushi Go!, Bohnanza, and Mustache Smash

Read aloud for 8 year old girls? Encyclopedia Brown, Little House books, Amelia Bedelia, EB White books, Roald Dahl books, Shel Silverstein, Beverly Cleary books (Ramona, Mouse and Motorcycle), Mr. and Mrs. Green, George and Martha.

My kids (7 and 9) both love Labyrinth, Zeus on the Loose, and Wildcraft for games.

Read alouds- oh there are so many great ones!  Roald Dahl, Trumpet of the Swan, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Narnia, Little House, The Borrowers, The Oz books, The Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Books.  Right now we are loving the Incorrigible Children books.