Menu

Memoria Press Online Courses vs. Veritas Press Online Courses

We are fairly new to the classical education way of homeschooling, so we decided to get our feet wet with MP. After enjoying the curriculum this year, we decided to continue using them next year. Our DS will be starting 6th grade in the fall and we were pretty set on enrolling him in MP's online Middle School Composition course, with the intention of increasing his MP online course load as he moves into high school. Then we learned about Veritas Press and their Omnibus track. Now, we're questioning our original plan. 

Does anyone have any experience with either MP's online courses or VP's online courses? We're having a hard time deciding which one to choose. 

Also, this fall, we have a child who will enter 1st grade and a child who will enter 3rd grade. If we decided that we will choose VP for middle and high school should we teach begin teaching them with VP materials? If we stay with MP will they still be ready to start VP's Omnibus track in 7th grade?  

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this. We really appreciate any insight you may share! 

• Like 1

After using Veritas Press for 11 years, I suggest Memoria Press.

You can also look at Wilson Hill for middle and High School classes in the future. They don't have as many options as VP, but what they offer is better. We made the switch from VP and we couldn't be happier.

The Potters School has a classical track as well.

Could you please share reasons why you feel MP is better than VP? Thanks!

• Like 2

VP had what I would call "Master Teachers" in all disciplines. These teachers are not only "Master Teachers," but have mastered the art of teaching in an online format. 2-3 years ago, they started leaving in droves due to leadership/admin issues. There are a few still there for next year, but I would estimate 70-80% have left to other places, many seeking legal counsel as they do.

OP, Wilson Hill offers Omnibus classes. Another option is the WTM Academy. They offer composition and rhetoric as well as lit and history classes. Landry Academy has a classical high school track. I have personally used a WTM composition class and Landry English class with good results. My dd will be continuing with both schools next year doing WTM's Writing With Skill 2 class and Ancient Lit at LA.

Another option is Roman Roads Media's Old World Civilization courses. There are both taped/self-paced and flipped classroom models available. It's not the same scope and sequence as Omnibus, but it is a very similar idea. They have their complete workbooks/art books/tests on their website so you can get a good feel for what they cover. I'm planning on using their Greek Historians and Roman Historians quarters in conjunction with the LA lit class next year.

There are lots of options now and more coming on line every year. I've been really pleased with the quality of the classes my dd did this year and I have no doubt we can put together a customized education with enthusiastic, knowledgeable teachers for high school.

I'm not sure that writing negative reviews of a product or service offered can result in a slander accusation :)

It absolutely would NOT qualify as "slander."

If you pay for a product or service, you can (and SHOULD) speak openly about the quality of that service.

Just don't repeat gossip about the personal lives of teachers or administrators. Talk about your experience, and you are absolutely within your rights.

We used Veritas's online school for pre-calculus this year and had an excellent experience with that particular teacher.

And then this just happened...

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/pennsylvania/paedce/5:2015cv02278/503943

and

http://pennrecord.com/news/16157-lancaster-education-company-suing-texas-private-school-over-faculty-list

which I hate to see, for all parties concerned.

SWB

It absolutely would NOT qualify as "slander."

If you pay for a product or service, you can (and SHOULD) speak openly about the quality of that service.

Just don't repeat gossip about the personal lives of teachers or administrators. Talk about your experience, and you are absolutely within your rights.

We used Veritas's online school for pre-calculus this year and had an excellent experience with that particular teacher.

And then this just happened...

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/pennsylvania/paedce/5:2015cv02278/503943

and

http://pennrecord.com/news/16157-lancaster-education-company-suing-texas-private-school-over-faculty-list

which I hate to see, for all parties concerned.

SWB

It's sad enough to see this in the homeschool community, but two Christian organizations- worse.

• Like 1

Wow, we had no idea there were so many options out there! We have a lot to think about before we make any final decisions about next years curriculum. We appreciate the insight all of you have offered.  

Thanks so much!