Menu

BBC's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

stephanier.1765

I'm so excited about it too. I hope they air it here soon thereafter. I know it's one of those very British things that they may think us Yanks aren't going to be super into, but I for one have been looking forward to it for awhile.

• Like 2

Just saw this on FB this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/jonathanstrangeandmrnorrellofficialpage/photos/a.1409292692654494.1073741829.1385217401728690/1583300208587074/?type=1&theater

"Clear your diaries!    Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell begins on BBC1 at 9pm on Sunday, May 17"

I don't know when it will start in the US or Australia, but I'm going to start checking BBC America's website.

I haven't heard of it...would it be possible to enjoy the show (movie? mini-series?) without having read the book?

yes, I think it might... sometimes it's worth it to watch the move/mini-series beforehand anyway, since writers tend to have a bad habit of "tweeking" things.  :rolleyes:  very occasionally it's worth it to read first because the movie is confusing (such as Cloud Atlas - great, great book - but confusing movie)

My standard rule is always read first and then possibly watch the movie. I often don't, lol.  But you are all so excited that it  makes me want to break my rule!  I wanna see it and I know I won't get to read the book in time.  I did hustle through all 700 pages of "bring up the bodies" in time to see Wolf Hall, but like I said, I daren't stop reading The Golden Notebook.

aaaand I can't believe I just used daren't in a sentence. I think I am reading too much British literature. I also said 'whilst' the other day. I'm going to need an intervention

• Like 2

This is one of the only books that I've ever not finished because I found it to be the most boring book EVER!  

I guess I won't be watching it on BBC!  

There are certainly a lot of people who hated the LOTR series for similar reasons but enjoyed watching the movies.   I know I have trouble getting through a Jane Austen book (so long-winded and boring!) but thoroughly enjoy most of the movie adaptations I've seen.

How far did you get?  It *does* have a slow beginning (by that I mean first 70 -100 pages): about the time Lady Pole (Miss Wintertowne) dies is when it picks up to me. 

There are certainly a lot of people who hated the LOTR series for similar reasons but enjoyed watching the movies.   I know I have trouble getting through a Jane Austen book (so long-winded and boring!) but thoroughly enjoy most of the movie adaptations I've seen.

How far did you get?  It *does* have a slow beginning (by that I mean first 70 -100 pages): about the time Lady Pole (Miss Wintertowne) dies is when it picks up to me. 

I think I put it down around page 50.  

This is one of the only books that I've ever not finished because I found it to be the most boring book EVER!  

I guess I won't be watching it on BBC!  

WHAT?!?!

What do you normally read? 

I admit I have a high tolerance for when things get a bit dry, I do like to read non-fiction and it the writing is dull but has good information I will still read it.  I don't recall JS&MN being dull, I thought it was very funny. You didn't skip the footnotes did you? The footnotes are very funny.

• Like 1

WHAT?!?!

I admit I have a high tolerance for when things get a bit dry, I do like to read non-fiction and it the writing is dull but has good information I will still read it.  I don't recall JS&MN being dull, I thought it was very funny. You didn't skip the footnotes did you? The footnotes are very funny.

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books.  So is Les Miserables so I do have a high tolerance for books that can have dry spots!  For some reason Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell just didn't do it for me.  My brother, who recommended it to me, absolutely loved it.  

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books.  So is Les Miserables so I do have a high tolerance for books that can have dry spots!  For some reason Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell just didn't do it for me.  My brother, who recommended it to me, absolutely loved it.  

Maybe it was just the wrong type of humor? Maybe you could try the first episode and see if you like it.

• Like 1

That's so funny Jean.  I hated Moby... I think I made it about 2/3-3/4 of the way through and just couldn't go on... it was SO dull. 

If you'd really like to give try maybe the audio version would be helpful.  I cannot praise the narrator, Simon Prebble, enough.   He made the book come alive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

WHAT?!?!

The footnotes were the best part!  But, admittedly, JS&Mr.N is not the easiest read..... but enjoyable WITH footnotes!

• Like 1

I had the same reaction to the book.  It went into my mental category of 'not well enough written'.  I think I got to the end - I was on holiday and didn't have another book with me - but I just couldn't work out where the buzz about it came from.

FWIW, I just finished Moby Dick and ended up really enjoying it.

I didn't watch the show.

• Like 1

Ok, is anyone else watching this?? I watched episode 3 last night. I am really enjoying it!!

My dh and I are enjoying.  It's moving at a very fast pace, which is quite unlike the books.  some of the characters do not look the way I thought they would in my head - Vinculus and Childermass especially...but I'll deal with it.    My only big disappointment was the way Vinculus gave the prophesy.  It was too, too fast and hard to understand.    It was also very different when he gave it to Norrell in the book.  He had gotten into his home & found Norrell alone in his study.  No one could get into Norrell's study (magic) to save him.  It was very exciting in the book.

I love Stephen Black, Lady Pole, and Arabella Strange.   I just wish they had kept Stephen's lady friend (Mrs. Brandy) in the movie.  It's not that she is all that important to the books, but she does bring a tender human element to Stephen Black that made him even more sympathetic.    He, Vinculus, and Childermass are my favorite characters from the books.

Otherwise I've been okay with some of the changes and differences... which is surprising for me since I tend to be a book purest.

I agree with you about the prophesy - I wish it had been clearer. I do think most of the changes they made have worked well. I love the feel of the series, and the casting is working really well for me, especially Strange and Childermass. Mr. Thistledown is sufficiently creepy.

I laughed and laughed at the Neopolitan zombies...they were perfect.

I thought the first episode seemed a bit slow. Things got more interesting in the second and by the third I was on the edge of my seat, even though I know what happens next. Just like the book I guess, it took about 150 pages to hook me. Dh is enjoying it too despite never having read the book.