Menu

Swimsuit question for my 15yo

amyinva

Is there such a thing as an athletic swimsuit with a little bit of support or at east some extra lining? My daughter wants to wear a speedo-like suit like her friends, but she is too busty to not have at least a little extra lining. Most of the womens suits with support (like lands end) we have seen are either not very youthful, or they accentuate the bust too much. Thank you!

Do you live near a specialty swimsuit or swimsuit/bra store? Would there be any way to include one in your next trip somewhere? When I went to Chicago last I deliberately went to a swimsuit store that sold suits in bra sizing because I knew a standard suit was never going to fit + support me.

What you're looking for is a bra-sized swimsuit.  If she wears a D or less, she'll be able to find it easily online.  If she needs a larger cup, expect to pay more.  If you're going to order online a bra-sized swimsuit, I suggest you make sure you have a fresh fitting, where she has been professionally fitted to know the size.  My dd wears a, well honestly I forget, but let's just say it's a size you don't find easily.  I just ordered her  http://www.barenecessities.com/freya-jelly-bean-active-swimsuit-as3991_product.htm?pf_id=FreyaAS3991and it fits well and is cute.  She wears it with swim shorts and a swim shirt.  (just stickin in that disclaimer)  You have to be careful and read the details, because Freya is UK cup sizes.  So you have to know your cup and band size accurately (like go to a department store and get fitted) and then you have to convert to UK accurately.  But it finally fits right!  

A good tailor can add a soft cup bra to any suit to give it the support you want.  I had this done every year while nursing babies because I could never find anything that would give me the support I needed without looking frumpy (I needed a LOT of support).

The bustier girls I've seen in swim team type suits layer them either over a sports bra or another suit. 

The only time I have ever seen this on a swim team was on the high school team (ie. not a year round competitive swimmer) whose suit should have been tossed long ago. She wasn't even that large, but the suit had long since past it's useful life. And it's against the rules so the officials wouldn't let her compete in it.

Speedo type suits provide support when they are TIGHT (not after they have lost all their elasticity or if bought too large).  The "Endurance" Speedo suits are not elastic enough.  Lycra and tech suits are.