Menu

Any cub scout den leaders? (wolf age)

displace

Our tiger cub den leader is stepping down and DS absolutely loves scouts. Our den has shrunk over the last year but there are still about 5-10 boys that now need a new leader. I don't exactly want the responsibility but I would absolutely do it if no one else steps up (if I could get some help and not run every meeting). I heard that the boys start running their own meetings in wolf age (2nd grade). Is that correct? I have no problem with the weekly meetings (ours are usually every 2 weeks or so), but it's all the official meetings it seems like the leaders have to go to that are restrictive, plus weekend stuff we tend to avoid. I'd have to bring the DC to all that as DH can only commit to once every couple of weeks.

And den leaders that can say whether it's a lot of work or not so bad?

I never heard of Cub Scouts running their own meetings, although Boy Scouts do. Cub Scouts should have a den meeting and a pack meeting. You would be doing the den meeting.

The requirements for Cub Scout advancement are changing, beginning in June, I think. I presume they will have similar resources to the current ones -- a detailed program that you may use for each meeting. Saves a lot of prep work.

Personally, I would want a co-leader. Bounce ideas of each other and take over when one has an emergency. I also like to involve parents as much as possible. For example, a nurse can teach anything to do with first aid, and so on. Most councils also have resources, like special activity days. And print resources for you at local scout shop.

ETA. Here are some den meeting plan currently on the website:

http://www.scouting.org/Home/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide/WolfDenPlans.aspx

• Like 3

I agree with others, but I will add that all the work was so worth it. I started with wolves and "my boys" are now mid level Boy Scouts. It's been a wonderful experience. I'm actually headed back in the fall to lead Webelos, despite not having kids that age. I also work with our troop. It's great see young men grow and develop into leaders.

• Like 2

Cub Scouts don't run their own meetings, but the Boy Scouts do. 

In our pack, it is only the people on the pack committee (cubmaster, treasurer, events coordinator) that attend all those meetings; den leaders generally don't attend unless they also want to serve on the pack committee.

• Like 1

You have to have a co-leader. Two-deep leadership requirement, as per the BSA. You both have to be there at den meetings, but you can trade off who leads the meeting.

The initial training meetings when you first start are required, but may be online. They are in our district. Other than that, I attend a once a month pack planning meeting, and interpret all others as optional.

• Like 2

Ok, it does seem like probably as much work as I'm assuming. I'll have to really consider it. I do appreciate the help.

There are guidelines to the meeting topics but I know a lot of parents can only help peripherally (bring snacks or something). Running meetings has fallen on the den leader mostly. I'm aware of the two person leader role but the second person is just peripheral from what I've seen.

The new books/program are going to quite scripted, with the den meetings laid out.  The theory is that they will take less preparation.  (I haven't really "prepared" much since my first year, since I just filed all materials in a box in my trunk after each den meeting.  I don't usually spend more than fifteen minutes prep time a week anymore.  I just check to see if any consumable items need replacing.)

The previews are here:

Leader guide sampler:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/program_update/pdf/220-852_LO.pdf

Cub scout book sampler:

• Like 1

I've been a den leader twice, and yes it's a lot of work behind the scenes. You have to plan the meeting, gather supplies, and often run the whole meeting with little help from by-standing parents. and then there is after the meeting...you keep track of badges scouts earn....you are the middle man between the pack and the den...so you have to communicate pack info to the den, even if the pack does it too. Often the den leader collects forms,,payments the pack needs. And don't forget all parents are coming to you with questions and concerns cuz they see you as their main contact person. There are monthly meetings for all leaders in the pack...kinda important to go to as a leader so you know what is going on behind the scenes in the pack. And at those meeting, you get wrangled into to helping with things on the pack level....cuz it's almost always the leaders who are doing everything behind the scenes....most parents just show up with no idea what leaders did in prep work. So yes, being a den leader is so much more work that what you see at the hour long den meeting.

• Like 2

The new books/program are going to quite scripted, with the den meetings laid out. The theory is that they will take less preparation. (I haven't really "prepared" much since my first year, since I just filed all materials in a box in my trunk after each den meeting. I don't usually spend more than fifteen minutes prep time a week anymore. I just check to see if any consumable items need replacing.)

The previews are here:

Leader guide sampler:

Cub scout book sampler:

That book looks like a curriculum :).

Easy to follow at least. I'm just concerned that it will mostly be me doing just about everything. There were a couple of parents that helped but moved out of town, and a lot of the parenys show up but don't run meetings.

Since you have to have a co-leader, I would ask if there is anyone who could do it with you, and split the responsibilities. The problem is that in scouts, one is the designated "leader" and the other is indeed the helper, so you would need those split responsibilities clearly stated before you start.

We have been in scouts for 9 years now, my middle son started as a Tiger.  My older son was a Bear.

I have led den meetings but I am the awards chair and I am in charge of uniforms, so I am often running around during meetings doing other things AND my youngest just bridged up to boy scouts 4 weeks ago!  So, I no longer have a cub scout at all.

Scouts is a great program if you have the right pack/troop/unit.

Scouts is a great program if you have the right pack/troop/unit.

Can I just comment on this for a minute.  I've had 4 boys in Boy Scouts and I still love this program.  This week I was at a Court of Honor and the boys were all supposed to stand up and say something they liked about Scouts.  They said things about liking camping, meeting new friends, learning skills, and things you would expect.  The last Scout to go was the oldest.  He was 17 and a tall, skinny, pimply kid who probably doesn't stand out in school as the best looking or most athletic.  He said he'd been in the troop for 6 years and went on to say how much he loved watching annoying little boys turn into men and strong leaders, how much fun he had, how much he had learned over the years.  He started weeping and could barely finish and I looked over to see the Senior Patrol Leader, another teenage boy, quietly make a heart symbol over his chest to encourage his friend.  Boy Scouts really is a great program and if you have to become the den leader to keep your son in it, I encourage you to do it.

• Like 1

Being a den leader is a lot of work. I did it for WEBELOS and Wolf and I love kids and enjoyed it, but I had a lot of help both years and it was still a lot. I spend HOURS laying awake at night thinking about how to get a new boy who just joined his Arrow of Light award with the other boys. His parents never helped or said thank you. Many of the other parents helped a lot, but planning games or activities or crafts or that sort of thing every week is not easy.