Menu

Do you ever feel like there's more that you want to learn about than there are hours in the day?

First, I love reading the Bible and doing Bible studies so I have quite the collection of Bible study materials, many that I have done, but still quite a few waiting to be done.

Ever since my husband was diagnosed with cancer last year, I've been learning about links between food and cancer. I find it fascinating and also important in order to improve my own health and get my kids on better eating habits. So that's another subject that I'm trying to learn more about.

Then I've been reading about foreign missions as I'm working on a project related to that.

And I've been trying to learn Spanish with ds, though not as much this year because I finally managed to find a tutor for him. But there's still something in me that wants to learn the language. I've learned bits and pieces of many languages, but never been able to master any - unless you count British English as another language - I got pretty good at that. ;-)

And since starting homeschooling I've been fascinated with history and love reading as much about history as I can, as well as other homeschooling topics and subjects like worldview and logic.

And now I have a ds who will be doing an economics course next year. I started a thread on the high school board looking for suggestions and ended up finding several books that I really want to read.

When am I going to have time? I have no idea. All that I know is that I own far more books than I have time to read and there is far more in this world that I want to know about than I have time to learn. Please tell me that I'm not alone!

• Like 7

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, YES! I was just thinking this last week, planning next year. So much I want to learn, so much I want my kids to learn, so much I want us to share in the joy of learning together. If I'm lucky, they will all come out with enough love of learning for its own sake to keep it up on their own, because I sigh at all we will never get to.

• Like 5

Well, yes...

But it is tempered by knowing that I absolutely need time to chew on things before I move on to something new. Otherwise the reading dances off the top of my head like so many raindrops. You can almost see the thoughts bouncing off. :laugh:

I simply can't get to everything. If I could it wouldn't stick. I'm far better off pacing myself and taking on a few things at a time.

• Like 3

Well, let's see.  I want to take some more math courses in preparation for both doing my own research and beginning a PhD program.  I want to learn Latin (and probably Spanish, and German, and Klingon, and...).  I have a list of literary classics where I'm slowly crossing things off as I read them.  I have plenty of unread books about education, history, and theology.

Oh, and I just took over as church librarian and am creating an online catalog of our books, meaning I am looking at every single one (I'm guessing we have somewhere in the 2000-2500 range).  I want to READ ALL THE THINGS!

So no, I can't identify at all. ;)

• Like 1

Yes, but then my energy levels die out, or I get busy or distracted, and I just compile the ideas for some future dates.  I'm going to have a wonderful retirement mapped out for me. ;)

I'm really loving the history, science and math I do with my dc. I've also tried to learn the violin along with them, but they left me in the dust years ago and I just don't have the time to practice. I may try again later.

• Like 1

Yes, but then my energy levels die out, or I get busy or distracted, and I just compile the ideas for some future dates.  I'm going to have a wonderful retirement mapped out for me. ;)

That's how I feel about my unfinished craft projects. They will keep me busy for years during retirement. But I'm not patient enough to wait that long to learn everything that interests me.

Absolutely!  But with my kids' ages (especially the busy toddler), I don't get a lot of time to myself so my reading time is limited.  I keep reserving books from the library only to return them only partially finished.  One of these days I'll have more time to read, craft, etc.  Right??  :)

• Like 1

Yes. Especially things I want my kids to learn. Lol! It's a little like dealing with Tapestry. We just can't do it all. We must pick something to focus on and do that. :) And, if we freeze and never begin that...we'll never get anywhere. But if we start, maybe before it's over we'll get to "all" of it.

There's always the retirement home for independent reading time. ;)

• Like 1

Yes! I'm working on becoming fluent in Spanish, but I'd also love to learn French, Italian, and German someday. Maybe Arabic... I'm not so successfully teaching myself to play the fiddle... I want to learn to dance better... I love geography... I need to learn bookkeeping for our new nonprofit... And I love to read!

So not enough time in the day!

• Like 1

Yes, but then my energy levels die out, or I get busy or distracted, and I just compile the ideas for some future dates. I'm going to have a wonderful retirement mapped out for me. ;).

I always say I don't know how retired people can be bored - there's so much to do and learn!

• Like 1

DH and I decided they need to open a college just for retirees.  You'd have a small, private apartment, you'd have a cafeteria plan in case you didn't want to make your own food, and you'd have all the time in the world to take whatever classes intrigued you and to discuss your new findings with your classmates and neighbors.  College was such a glorious time of learning and socializing (for DH and I, at least).

I've already been trying to figure out how to work the things I want to learn into my kids' education.  Then my prep time can also be enjoyable self-education time.  :-)

• Like 5

DH and I decided they need to open a college just for retirees.  You'd have a small, private apartment, you'd have a cafeteria plan in case you didn't want to make your own food, and you'd have all the time in the world to take whatever classes intrigued you and to discuss your new findings with your classmates and neighbors.  College was such a glorious time of learning and socializing (for DH and I, at least).

I've already been trying to figure out how to work the things I want to learn into my kids' education.  Then my prep time can also be enjoyable self-education time.  :-)

I love this idea! I'd register.

• Like 1

That's what I do. 

It's fun that way and I get to buy curriculum for myself. :laugh:

• Like 2