Menu

My first allergic reaction to food today was a little scary

LadyR

So today I had my very first allergic reaction to food and I'm a little scared.  I was eating a quinoa & chic pea salad with cucumber, tomatoes, and red onion.  I've made this salad before and I have eaten these ingredients all my life.  I probably ate about a cup and a half when I started to burn in my face, ears and head and the intensity kept increasing, even on the whole top of my head.  Then my arms started to get itchy. My son said I looked red so I ran to the bathroom mirror and found that It looked like I had a sunburn on my face, neck, shoulders, chest, arms and on my back all the way down to my waist.  Thankfully I did not have any trouble breathing or swallowing at all.  The burning lasted probably just 5 minutes but the red rash lasted about a half hour before slowly disappearing.  I had no Benadryl in the house.  I have never had any food allergies or even seasonal allergies. My husband isn't very concerned and thinks it was just a fluke, but my friends are scaring me into seeing a doctor and asking for an epi pen.  Anybody have an experience like this?

Yes, you need to see an allergist. Each reaction you have potentially gets worse with each exposure. With a reaction like you experienced I think you definitely need to carry an Epi pen. You also should have Benadryl on hand for milder responses.

• Like 4

I had that happen during my first shellfish reaction a year ago, plus massive, er, gastric distress. Given your reaction and that you're not sure which ingredient it was that caused it, I'd get in asap to see a doctor and get an epi pen.  

Were you by any chance drinking alcohol with lunch?  I've had something similar happen when I drink.  In that case, it's not an allergy but something to do with the alcohol causing the blood vessels to dilate rapidly.  It can be so intense it causes a burning sensation and makes me flushed.

Until you know for sure what's going on though, you really ought to carry an epi pen with you.

• Like 2

:grouphug: I would see if your primary care doctor will prescribe an epi pen immediately and refer to an allergist. Anaphylaxis is two systems, and you don't describe two, but it's better to be safe until you have more information. Chickpea has some cross reactions (peanut/legume I believe...I'm not sure), so it might be the most likely culprit if there is a food allergy. But anyone can react to anything, even as an adult. I'd avoid all of them until you can see an allergist.

Three or four years ago my husband suddenly had a mild reaction to buckwheat of all things. It was mild enough that he didn't mention it to me, but had I known I would have been concerned/cautious. We have a wheat allergy in the family, so had eaten buckwheat often for years. The next time he had buckwheat, he had a full anaphylactic reaction. Fortunately, I had epi pens because of my son. On the other hand, MIL had a weird reaction to shellfish (flushing, tightness, itching). It turned out she doesn't actually have an allergy. I can't, for some reason, remember the explanation the allergist gave. But she really isn't allergic. My mother has oral allergy syndrome to fresh fruits. My point is it might not be a food allergy. But it could certainly be. Be cautious until you know either way.

• Like 1

Great advice above -- see an allergist; get an epi-pen.

I have a wheat allergy.  I have never (yet?) needed by epi-pen, but I carry children's benadryl with me everywhere.  I carry the children's version because it is chewable and I can take it even if there is nothing available to drink.

I had my first reaction in January, to Jambalaya. It turned out I became severely allergic to shellfish after my last pregnancy, despite having eaten it up to that point. Unfortunately new allergies have presented and I have hyperpermeable intestines causing most of the problem. So now I'm armed with benedryl for minor, single system reactions and epipens for anaphylaxis or multi system allergic responses.

It sucks.

I'm sorry you're in the same boat :(

I have extremely sensative skin (like allergic to Windex, most all sunscreen, etc) and Benadryll is the worst thing you can give me during a reaction. I break out in hives over the rash. It takes meds to make it go away once my body is on high alert from Benadryll on top of another reaction. I have to use Lanacane or prescription steroids. No Cortizone. No Benadryll. No generics. I am allergic to hydrocortisone. This has been learned though direct experience with well meaning doctors prescribing things that backfired. Go to an allergist, not your normal doctor. When I finally went to one, it was a Godsend! Now I know exactly what to look for and exactly what to do. He told me warning signs. He told me products. It was an hour long visit that was the best money I ever spent.

I am anaphylactic shock allergic to ginger. It is something I have just learned how to avoid. In terms of food issues, there are often warning signs before you put the food in your mouth or before you swallow. An epipen will not work for me if I actually swallow ginger. Go to an allergist and find out exactly what is going on. If you are over reacting, then you feel a little embarrassed and silly. If you are not, then you die.

What would you recommend your child do if they were relaying that this reaction had happened to them?

• Like 2

I learned the hard way most allergists want a referral. I had two urgent cares and an ANP tell me to go, but because nobody wrote it on their stupid little pad and faxed it over I had to pay for another office visit to my GP just to get a referral and be seen by the (ridiculously expensive) allergist. And I won't lie, the bill for my first office visit and the prick and patch testing was $1732.50. Ouch.

If you think you know what caused it you can certainly get a prescription for an epipen and antihistamine from your GP or main health care provider. But if you suspect bigger allergy issues it is helpful to have full panels done. Not everyone needs them, but with new adult onset allergies and a rash of major health issues it was a good choice for me.

I just wish I'd known to have the FIRST doctor who gave me epinephrine write me a referral, so it didn't have to be the fourth visit for anaphylaxis where someone finally got something faxed so I could be seen. I'm a cash paying patient and that hurt big time, because they use GPs to filter patients and refuse to see someone who hasn't jumped through the appropriate hoops. Grrrrrr!