Menu

How is the best way to educate a ballerina that wants to leave Public School because of hours?

I need advice.  You can see by the ages of my own children I have no experience with this.

At our dance studio, there is a young lady who will be a sophomore next year and needs to devote much more time to her ballet instruction/practice than public school schedule allows.  Cyber school does not seem to be a good option for her because of the time requirements.  Her mother works and does not feel comfortable leaving the young lady alone everyday at home.

I would be willing to oversee her education, with her mother still being considered the homeschool supervisor on paper. j But I would need a high school curriculum (secular) that can pretty much be self-driven.  I'm ofcourse, willing to teach, help, advise, but I'm going to be way out of my league without a very good curriculum. Online classes would NOT be a good option because of specific time slot commitments.  She is bright and advanced compared to public school standards. 

What are some options for companies/curricula bor building a very flexible sophomore program?

Thank you so much for your help.

• Like 1

No expertise here but I was wondering if you knew where she was at in her studies?  What did she complete this year?  

What does she need to achieve for a high school diploma in your state?  And more importantly, does she intend to go to college?  If so, does she have any idea which one?  What are their requirements for admission?

Oak Meadows might work....

Maybe Teaching Textbooks for math...

• Like 2

No expertise here but I was wondering if you knew where she was at in her studies?  What did she complete this year?  

What does she need to achieve for a high school diploma in your state?  And more importantly, does she intend to go to college?  If so, does she have any idea which one?  What are their requirements for admission?

Oak Meadows might work....

Maybe Teaching Textbooks for math...

Thanks for responding!

I am familiar with our state requirements and the road to a homeschool diploma for our state.  I have not fully engaged to ask questions about where she is at exactly, mostly because I'm mostly just generally exploring what are the possiblities.  I don't believe she is looking to go to college at this time.  I think she is looking to dance, but wants to make sure she has educational options in the future since a dancing career probably will not last forever.

I'm mostly looking for her choices with or without me in the picture.

• Like 1

Is she pretty self-motivated?  If she were given a textbook/workbook/some DVDs/required reading for something like World History and World Literature could she do those on her own with you just checking output?

Science might be trickier.  Does she have to have science with labs?  I know you said secular, but if she could do some sort of self-paced Science material written to the student then maybe she could do lab work through a Landry Academy 2 day science intensive.  Two days and it covers a years' worth of labs.  Not secular, but definitely covers a lot of ground.  They occur all over the country at different locations at different times of the year.  One might be near enough and at a time that would work for her schedule.  

• Like 1

There are also asynchronous online classes, and classes like the WTM Academy that allow a student to watch the recorded class on their own timing.

I think Calvert now has a high school program? Perhaps something like that could be an option.

• Like 1

Are you sure cyber school wouldn't be flexible enough for her? You may have already checked into it, but the impression I got from another friend who uses cyber school was that it was more flexible than I thought. Otherwise, I don't know. I do know that Saxon math is pretty independent for my DD; I do generally go over the material with her, but it's also written so that she could teach herself. Since she checks it herself too and just asks me for help as needed, there's a lot she could do without me at all. I second the Teaching Textbooks idea too; a friend showed me how it works one day, and it was very independent.

I was just looking at the History of the Ancient World study guide, and it looks like it could be easy to implement and do independently.

You're a dear to help them out! (But you knew I already thought that!)

• Like 1

We have known several athletes who use Laurel Springs for High School.  They have a couple of different options and work really well for the non-traditional schedule (traveling or practice hours).  http://laurelsprings.com/high-school/

We have also used NDCDE and the classes are very good.  The teachers have published office hours and are available by phone or chat as well as email.  They have both print and online class options.  http://www.ndcde.org/Home.aspx

• Like 1

I thought there was a conversation about this topic just a few weeks ago -- people were talking about what their kids did when they dropped out of school to pursue hours of special classes for dance.  But now I can't find it.  I remember talking to my dd about it since she's quite interested in ballet.  I'll ask for her help coming up with keywords for searching once she's available. (I could've sworn they were discussing Vaganova classes, but google gives me no hits on that term on this site for the past year.)

In the meantime, just a note that the girls I know who are intent on pursuing dance are all planning to go to college.  They spend time discussing which colleges are good for what type of dance, what type of dance career that college will prepare them for, etc. Dd believes it's actually about 50-50 whether people actually go to college first, or else join a company and THEN start college (one of dd's teachers is doing the latter).  But, yes, best to keep those options open.

• Like 1

I thought there was a conversation about this topic just a few weeks ago -- people were talking about what their kids did when they dropped out of school to pursue hours of special classes for dance. But now I can't find it. I remember talking to my dd about it since she's quite interested in ballet. I'll ask for her help coming up with keywords for searching once she's available. (I could've sworn they were discussing Vaganova classes, but google gives me no hits on that term on this site for the past year.)

In the meantime, just a note that the girls I know who are intent on pursuing dance are all planning to go to college. They spend time discussing which colleges are good for what type of dance, what type of dance career that college will prepare them for, etc. Dd believes it's actually about 50-50 whether people actually go to college first, or else join a company and THEN start college (one of dd's teachers is doing the latter). But, yes, best to keep those options open.

This thread? http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/547465-online-schooling-for-ballerina-in-training-need-thoughts/?hl=%2Brussian&do=findComment&comment=6281323

• Like 2

My dd is also a dancer, currently attending a performing arts high school (state charter, so free). We're considering going back to homeschooling next year. Do y'all know about the Ballet Talk forums? There is a lot of discussion there about different school options and how they work out for different people.

TTUISD is one possible option for her. Although the courses are shown as "Online", they are actually Asynchronous, which is what this girl must have, to do what she wants to do.   Her schedule would be flexible, but there are plenty of hours of work that need to be put in. There are Actors, Athletes, Dancers, etc., among TTUISD students..

A much easier thing would be a school like American School, Penn Foster, etc. There are some threads here on WTM and on HomeSchoolReviews you can check out.   However, if she plans to apply to universities, I am not sure how their Admissions people  will look at someone with a Diploma from a school like that.

GL to her!

• Like 1