Menu

Overnighter young kids I need opinions

Soror

I'm in charge of an event and it seems that I am at odds with how it was done previously. If your child was staying overnight at an event (indoor) and were(are) 5-9 years old how late would you think they should be staying up? Parents will be there but bedtime will be universal as with that kind of space one kid can keep up all of them.

I'd expect somewhere between 10-11, but I'd figure the last hour or so would be movies or other winding-down activities. For 9yo, I could see midnight. Of course, I stayed up past midnight at a New Years sleepover when I was 7, so there's that, too. I would be surprised if they were supposed to go to sleep before 9 or much after midnight, I guess. Eta: to me there's also a big difference between 5yo and 9yo when it comes to "staying up late", too - I'd be far more strict with getting 5yos to bed at a not-too-unreasonable time than I would be with 9yos.

• Like 2

If I were in charge of said event, I would not want to be the buzzkill that moves bedtime to 8 or 9 p.m. Even if that's normal for my family. Any moves toward an earlier bedtime than last year will likely be an unpopular one and since it's a FUN event I just wouldn't go there. Rearranging the activities, however, so that there is a progressive wind-down should be fine as long as the kids have had adequate large motor movement in the afternoon.

• Like 3

When my kids were 5 and 6, I probably would have said 9:00, though I would have known that my kids needed their bedtime more than others. But by the time they were 8 yo, I would have been fine with 10 or 10:30 or maybe even 11:00 or later... basically, I wouldn't have cared much. I think if there's an issue it may be in part because there's a pretty big difference in that age range and their needs.

• Like 1

If my child is going to an overnight thing, I expect them to get less sleep than normal.  It's a special event.  If my child can't handle that, then I wouldn't let them go (and my children weren't able to handle that at 5 and 6).  I wouldn't expect all the children to go to bed early to accommodate the 5-year-olds.  I think 10-10:30 is reasonable.  

• Like 4