Menu

Going to San Francisco - recommendations?

lgliser

DH and I will be in San Francisco for a few days next week.  He's doing some training and I'm tagging along.  We will be near Union Square.  What are some great places to eat?  What else should we do?  We won't have a TON of time... just the evenings mostly!

ETA: I'd particularly love some great seafood and sushi!

Just remember: no matter how warm it gets during the day, it is likely to be quite chilly as the sun goes down. There are vendors who make a very good living selling overpriced sweatshirts and jackets to tourists who aren't prepared. 

I have no idea what is still there, so I don't have specific recommendations to make. The most incredible salmon dinner I ever had was at Dimaggio's, but I'm pretty sure it is long gone.

• Like 2

Oooh - I can answer this one! I went to San Francisco about a month ago with my sister and nieces and we ate at a fabulous sushi place called Sushi Toni. It's about two blocks up from Union Square on Bush St. It's a tiny little place that a little bit looks like a hole in the wall, but was the best sushi I have ever had. As a bonus, the prices were completely reasonable - I want to say most rolls were in the $10-15 range.

Another fun thing to do if you have time is to rent bikes at the Ferry Building, which is about a 10-15 minute walk from Union Square. We rode along the Embarcadero and then across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. (They give you a detailed map - it's very easy to not get lost). Get some lunch and Lappert's Ice Cream, and then take the ferry across the bay back to the Ferry Building. So much fun!

• Like 1

We'll be there 4 days and I'm looking for seafood, Chinese (like someone mentioned-yum), sushi, or just any local favorite!

I'm open to all price ranges.  We are staying near Union Square and walking is ideal, but we can totally travel.  Day one we will be doing a tour of Alcatraz so we'll be in that area....

Legion of Honor Museum.  You. Must. Go.  It is one of my favorite places in the whole world. 

http://legionofhonor.famsf.org/

The Blue Mermaid chowder house at the Argonaut hotel is nice 

http://www.argonauthotel.com/fishermans-wharf/seafood-restaurants/index.html

The Argonaut Hotel is also part of a maritime national historical park with a small natural history museum just off the lobby.

Try out the Boudin Bakery for authentic SF sourdough

https://www.boudinbakery.com/index.cfm?page_id=6

The Crab House on pier 39 is to die for.  DH & I split a whole crab and an order of garlic bread.

http://www.crabhouse39.com/

The original chocolate factory at Ghiradelli Square has incredible hot fudge sundaes

http://www.ghirardelli.com/locator/northpoint-original-san-francisco-ca

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

We'll be there 4 days and I'm looking for seafood, Chinese (like someone mentioned-yum), sushi, or just any local favorite!

I'm open to all price ranges.  We are staying near Union Square and walking is ideal, but we can totally travel.  Day one we will be doing a tour of Alcatraz so we'll be in that area....

The audio tour of Alcatraz is excellent. Don't miss it.

Even my big kids love the Musee Mechanique at Pier 45

de Young Fine Arts Museum is excellent. The views are beautiful, too.  The main exhibit through July is High Style: The Brooklyn Museum Costume Collection. :)

Pier 39 has the carousel, the sea lions, and a little aquarium that is nice for younger kids. (I recommend nothing else re Pier 39.)

Best Mexican is actually in West Berkeley at La Mission.  Just thinking about their mole is making me drool.

Best Pizza is at Little Star. Deep dish veggie is amazing.(I am not kidding that it is the best pizza I have ever had.) They have thin crust as well; my kids like the White Pie. (I don't particularly.)  Little Star meatballs are incredible.

Dim sum in Chinatown. Sfweekly rates this place #1:

1. Hong Kong Lounge

5322 Geary (at 17th Ave.)

Hong Kong Lounge is not for novices. Most of the large crowd trying to jostle ahead of you on the waiting list speaks Chinese; the waiters are arrogant; it's noisy. But the food quality is superb and varied. The baked pork buns are the best in town, with a crunchy top that contrasts the soft interior and meaty, savory filling. The coffee pork ribs are a must; they're served with a dollop of whipped cream, an unusual touch that accentuates the coffee. The shrimp dumplings are also excellent, and the bean tamale is a fascinating Chinese take on the dish. Prepare to wait an hour on weekends at prime time, but it's worth it.

If you are there on a Saturday morning, the Farmers Market at the Ferry Building is festive and fun. Really good food trucks.

I highly recommend the double decker tour buses. They are not cheesy. You learn some fun history, and the ticket is good for two days. You can jump on and off, go most everywhere. Across the GGB, GG Park etc. Well worth $16.

My dh is a big fan of the steak house Izzy's.  The atmosphere is nice, low key, excellent food, although I'm not a steak fan, I l  enjoy the place.  

Do you like to hike?

And yes, dress in layers. If you're not in the sun, it's cold.

Print below linked map and have fun walking :)

http://campuslifeservices.ucsf.edu/upload/transportation/files/Biking_Routes_SanFrancisco_2012_0801.pdf

We'll be in SF tomorrow actually to visit my consultate for my passport. Crissy Fields has a nice beachfront which is less crowded. Sausalito/Fort Baker has lovely views of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The wind chill is really chilly in the mornings and evenings. Traffic is typically big city crazy.

• Like 1

If you have a few moment to luxuriate (and a caffeine habit) I'd suggest going into the St Francis Hotel (on Union Square) and ordering coffee in your own personal French Press. It is an elegant hotel and a nice way to enjoy the good life in a beautiful lobby.

Bill

• Like 2

Spy Car, on 09 Apr 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:snapback.png

If you have a few moment to luxuriate (and a caffeine habit) I'd suggest going into the St Francis Hotel (on Union Square) and ordering coffee in your own personal French Press. It is an elegant hotel and a nice way to enjoy the good life in a beautiful lobby.

Bill

Yes. I nearly forgot. I love that place...and not just because it's my favorite public bathroom. lol Seriously. How many times have I escaped the busyness, and gone downstairs to have a class of wine, in peace, just to use the facilities without guilt. ;)

Oh cool, I am not a coffee drinker (DH is though)! but I was hoping to find a nice hotel lobby to grab a drink at one evening!  It's our tradition to have an amaretto sour together.  We're silly....

I'm loving the recommendations - thanks SO much, everyone!!

The "Top of the Mark" is another elegant spot to have an evening's cocktail. That is in the Mark Hopkins Hotel. Old money type place.

The Buena Vista down in the Marina is the classic place to have an Irish Coffee. Casual, noisy, and fun.

The Italian cafes in North Beach are great places to have espressos or drinks if you're feeling more in a bohemian state of mind. Often good music too. The Italian restaurant in the neighborhood are cosy and good as well.

Bill

The "Top of the Mark" is another elegant spot to have an evening's cocktail. That is in the Mark Hopkins Hotel. Old money type place.

So we'd want to be dressed up for this, yes?

How about at the St. Francis?  Dressy?  (Would just be going for a cocktail).

So we'd want to be dressed up for this, yes?

How about at the St. Francis?  Dressy?  (Would just be going for a cocktail).

If you were going to the St Francis in the daytime for coffee one could be more casual, in the evening for cocktails I think the gentleman would feel more comfortable in a coat and tie.

Bill

If you were going to the St Francis in the daytime for coffee one could be more casual, in the evening for cocktails I think the gentleman would feel more comfortable in a coat and tie.

Cool, thanks!  Also if it makes a difference, this will be a weeknight, not a weekend. 

Love all of your recommendations - and yes we enjoy a hike!

Then if you have time during the day, go to the Legion of Honor as someone else recommended and then do one of the Land's End hikes.

We were in San Francisco during Spring Break and stayed in a great Airbnb out in El Cerrito. The first day we were there, we took one of Dylan's Famous Tours and had a blast. DS and I had driven down (ten hour drive) and wanted to not have to do a lot of thinking our first day. The minibus tour gave us a great overview, and then we picked the things we really enjoyed and took my dh out to see those things when he arrived in town. We knew he would want to see where the Grateful Dead stayed in Haight-Ashbury. :D

Our guide, Rolando, recommended El Farolito in the Mission for burritos. OMG!  If you go, be sure to get one of the super burritos. So good and so cheap.  The Napa Valley Burger Co. in Sausalito has probably the best (and most expensive) hamburgers I have ever had. They are half pounders so you might want to split them.

I think we took every form of transportation SF has to offer from BART, to ferry, to muni buses and cable cars. You will run out of time before you run out of things to do. We are madly in love with SF for the weather, the views, the architecture, the museums, the outdoor opportunities like Muir Woods and Marin Headlands, to the vintage boats down at Fisherman's Wharf, oh, and of course, the food. I am a huge fan of WPA and enjoyed the murals at Coit Tower.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Near Union Square I would recommend Cockscomb, Cafe Claude, Liholiho Yacht Club.

For more traditional SF seafood, you could trek to Swan's Oyster Depot (prepare to wait in line and eat at a counter) or Tadich Grill. The seafood at Tadich can be hit or miss but the sand dabs are great and are local to SF bay. The cioppino is an SF classic as well.

Another SF classic (but you'll have to travel a bit) is Zuni Cafe.

Lastly, if you want a bit of an adventure I would try State Bird Provisions. People line up early (4:30ish) but it's a bit of a camaraderie in line. It's a cart-based dim sum style dining, but with American dishes. The CA state bird is quail and that's their signature dish.

Keep in mind SF is a real food city. There are more than 4,000 restaurants and probably half of those are within a mile of Union Square.

Have fun!