Menu

Any accompanists here? Questions about music organization and page turning

JeanM

I'm now the accompanist a vocal group, and my pile of music is out of control. I like to copy the music, even if I have book or booklet, so that I can spread out more than 2 pages at a time to minimize page turns. I'm getting overwhelmed though with piles of music that look the same. Any suggestions for organizing this all?

Also I'm wondering if it would be easier to do the page turns if I put the music in a binder or something. That would limit the number of pages in a spread, but maybe it would be quicker to grab and turn the page?

My kids' voice teacher copies sheet music to put in a binder for them.  I find it hard to turn the pages when they are in slick, glossy page protectors. Maybe if they were in matte page protectors it would be easier to grab and flip the page quickly.

Lana

I wonder if you could tape to page protectors together along the 11" side so that you could fold them in accordion style and have a 4 page spread (or 6 page...)?

My kids' voice teacher copies sheet music to put in a binder for them. I find it hard to turn the pages when they are in slick, glossy page protectors. Maybe if they were in matte page protectors it would be easier to grab and flip the page quickly.

Lana

The matte page protectors are better with stage lighting as well. (Less glare)

I wonder if you could tape to page protectors together along the 11" side so that you could fold them in accordion style and have a 4 page spread (or 6 page...)?

The only problem with this is how/where the group performs. If she is going to have to rely on the light from a music stand light or the equivalent she won't be able to see more than a two page spread.

If this group does music that does not allow you to handle page turns, would it be possible to have a page turner?

My dd tapes folders together and glues the music to it so there's this big long strip of music 3-4 pages long across the music stand. They can be folded accordian style and the folders make them stiff so they don't blow over or flop around.. If the music is longer than 3-4 pages, she stacks them in front of one another and tosses them over her head while playing. (very dramatic and funny looking) Her piano teacher taught her this.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm loving all the ideas. I'm stunned by the ipad concept. And an app that could listen and advance the displayed page would be great! Unfortunately I don't have an ipad, so even if the app existed, I couldn't use it right now. Plus it would have to handle complicated things like repeats, D.C. al fine, etc. Although if I could have an app that would jump to the right places, I might be willing to buy an ipad. It is a huge pain to flip back and forth

So far my group has only performed at church, but they're talking about performing soon at a coffee house and a nursing home. Thus I haven't needed a light yet.

I have lots of binders here, so maybe I should buy some matte sheet protectors and try that. It wouldn't cost very much. Actually I might even have some matte sheet protectors already.

My dd tapes folders together and glues the music to it so there's this big long strip of music 3-4 pages long across the music stand. They can be folded accordian style and the folders make them stiff so they don't blow over or flop around.. If the music is longer than 3-4 pages, she stacks them in front of one another and tosses them over her head while playing. (very dramatic and funny looking) Her piano teacher taught her this.

This is the most dramatic page turning yet. I can't imagine doing it myself, but I'd love to see it. I can see how the folders would help to make the music stiffer.

The only problem with this is how/where the group performs. If she is going to have to rely on the light from a music stand light or the equivalent she won't be able to see more than a two page spread.

If this group does music that does not allow you to handle page turns, would it be possible to have a page turner?

In theory I could have a page turner. In reality, I don't have anyone willing to do that. I could persuade one of my dc to do it for a special occasion, but not on a regular basis.

:D  Awesome!  I did this just the other day! :)  I'm accompanying my dd and a small group of friends and they're singing "When I Grow Up" from Matilda.  The music I have is about 12 pages long so I taped copies together in 4 pages chunks.  One of the other moms was supposed to take away the chunks as we were practicing but she kept getting wrapped up in listening to the kids.  I'd start to "psssst" her, louder and louder, and then ended up grabbing and flinging the music over my head when I couldn't get her attention. :D

I just spread out the pages and fasen them together with paper clips (sometimes I have to attach them to a file folder or thin board so they stand up). I have the problem that some of my music is landscape orientated, so a binder doesn't work.  I store the music in a folder and/or binder. 

Yup. Me too.

I haven't done accompanying for many years (unless you count accompanying my kids) but I used to use manila folders with the score taped in on both sides so that you could have up to four pages in front of you at once. Depending on how long the piece is, you can fold bits in and out a bit like a lapbook and vary the number of pages so that turns come in the least inconvenient places. Then you can fold each one away and write the title on the front of the folder. For an important or potentially nerve-wracking performance, you can also put large numbers on the front in case of forgetting the program order.