Menu

MLM Weight Loss Products--rant

PrairieSong

My niece kept writing cryptic FB statuses about how she was losing weight and was full of energy since beginning her new products. She lost 6.5 lbs in 8 days, her mood was up, and her migraines better. She deleted a question of mine asking if there was any independent medical research on these products and PMed me, "I've done my own research." I urged her to talk to her doctor.

I did some research of my own. The eight day "ignite" diet consists of a starvation diet of 600-800 calories including their shakes and pills. Some of their stuff contains caffeine and an amphetamine like substance. No wonder she has had an upswing in mood and energy!!!

Ugh..I really hope she stops soon..but the excitement of getting thin AND rich have her hooked right now. She won't listen to me when her MLM cheerleaders are doing their bit.

She claims the stuff is natural and even safe for kids!!! But anything can be called natural. One review stated that the products can cause you to fail a military drug test. Red flags all over the place. I hope she doesn't get hooked on this junk.

sigh

People never stop looking for the easy way out. It is a shame. But she's not going to listen to you at this point. If it's upsetting you, honestly, I'd temporarily block her and write yourself a note to unblock her in a month. This is something she has to work through on her own.

• Like 4

The caffeine can legitimately help her migraines. Unfortunately for her, those kinds of diets are hard to sustain and often you gain it all back and then some.

Funny thing is, one post bragged that a relative of hers had given up coffee since starting on these products and had so much energy. Um..it's caffeine. And some kind of substance that affects dopamine levels. So you're off coffee but you're taking caffeine and uppers, basically. Peachy.

• Like 1

sigh

People never stop looking for the easy way out. It is a shame. But she's not going to listen to you at this point. If it's upsetting you, honestly, I'd temporarily block her and write yourself a note to unblock her in a month. This is something she has to work through on her own.

No, she's not listening to me at the moment. That's why I stopped writing to her about it and instead came here to rant. :-)

Funny thing is, one post bragged that a relative of hers had given up coffee since starting on these products and had so much energy. Um..it's caffeine. And some kind of substance that affects dopamine levels. So you're off coffee but you're taking caffeine and uppers, basically. Peachy.

We were posting at the same time!

But what you said-exactly!

• Like 1

Do other people not read ingredients lists? Am I the weird one?

Do other people not read ingredients lists? Am I the weird one?

You're not weird. I think it's weird NOT to read and research what you're putting into your body. I also think it's weird to jump on the train and start posting about how fantastic X product is when you just started using it days ago. Let's see the results after six months or a year.

• Like 2

Why would anyone want to give up coffee!  Definitely a quack diet!

• Like 14

Even my mom who is usually smart about these things had a supplement with caffeine in it and didn't know it. She was like, "it really seems to give me energy!" Let me read you the tiny ingredients, mom... She did a real-life head-smack. 

• Like 1

One of these deals got going at our Y a few months ago. This guy became a member out of nowhere and started really talking up all his products and "fat-releasing" techniques. Next thing you know, he's got himself a rented room at the Y and 40-50 people lined up out the door every single week.

The Y had another program going on at the same time that focused on helping people form healthy eating and exercise habits. DH and I were in it and have lost quite a bit of weight (I've posted that here before). There's a support group, workouts with a personal trainer, etc. That group dropped to less than 10, despite being less than 25% the cost of the "fat-releasing" program. We even lost one of our trainers, who decided she'd rather push the products. :glare:

I grew up with parents in MLM. Don't get me started.

• Like 1