Menu

Rinse Aid

carriede

We just bought a new dishwasher, and I want to make sure I'm using it properly for longevity's sake.

So I know that rinse aid is supposed to help the water run off the dishes and not leave spots. But does rinse aid serve any purpose for the dishwasher itself?

I've never used rinse aid in my old diahwasher... I didn't care about a few water spots. Just want to make sure I'm getting my moneys worth out of my new machine!

I deliberately choose not to use it since I am concerned that it may leave a chemical residue but I am by no means an expert on this. I just pull the door open when the cycle is done so that the dishes dry well since in my simple understanding the rinse agent helps the dishes dry well in dishwashers with no heating element for drying dishes.

• Like 1

I carefully used the rinse aid for about 2 bottles worth. But I noticed the bottle said it had way more washes than it did in reality. So I decided it was too expensive if I had to refill it way more often than advertised. I don't use it and don't notice a problem (other than the wash/dry cycle is about 20 minutes longer).

• Like 1

I use plain citric acid. It keeps the dishwasher really clean, too. You can buy Lemishine brand at Target, but I just bit bulk on Amazon.

So do you do this with every load or just once in a while? And if with every load, where do you put it? I don't see the powder going into my rinse dispenser.

Thanks

I carefully used the rinse aid for about 2 bottles worth. But I noticed the bottle said it had way more washes than it did in reality. So I decided it was too expensive if I had to refill it way more often than advertised. I don't use it and don't notice a problem (other than the wash/dry cycle is about 20 minutes longer).

I also noticed this when we first got our new dishwasher.  I discovered after reading the instruction book carefully that there is an adjustment for the amount for rinse aid dispensed.  The amount needed varies depending on the hardness of your water.  We can get away with the lowest setting.  Once I adjusted this, the bottle lasted as long as it said it would.

I have a very very long discussion with the repair guy at our local independent appliance store.  He has been fixing dishwashers for 40 years.  I was replacing a dishwasher that stopped working well at about two years.  We had been hobbling it along until it was simply not cleaning anything at age 7.  I was disappointed that it was such a dud and was talking to this guy to find out how to not let that happen again.  He said that the number one issue he sees with newer dishwashers in from gunked up sensors from not using rinse aid.  The old dishwashers did not have sensors, they just had a determined cycle and did that every time so rinse aid only helped with spots on dishes.  I never cared about spots so I never bought rinse aid.  He did not get to look at my old dishwasher so could not say for sure that is what happened but the symptoms sounded right.  I'd rather buy a few bottles of rinse aid a year rather than a new dishwasher every 5.

• Like 1

I use a mix of white vinegar/water as rinse aid & it seems to do the trick.

Also, as mentioned, there is often a setting or adjustment you can make so you can have the minimum needed amount of rinse aid dispensed each load. I think, by default, ours was set for the highest setting when we first bought it.

Our rinse aid goes in a separate reservoir beside where you put the detergent.

We have hard water so I use a rinse aide/soap booster by OxyClean.  I fill the rinse dispenser as needed and put a small squirt in the bottom of the dishwasher every load. If I don't I have filmy dishes that are not completely clean. 

We just bought a new dishwasher, and I want to make sure I'm using it properly for longevity's sake.

So I know that rinse aid is supposed to help the water run off the dishes and not leave spots. But does rinse aid serve any purpose for the dishwasher itself?

I've never used rinse aid in my old diahwasher... I didn't care about a few water spots. Just want to make sure I'm getting my moneys worth out of my new machine!

I don't use it.

I do, however, use Amway's automatic dishwasher detergent exclusively, which I believe contributes not only to my sparkly dishes but also to a 10yo dishwasher which looks as good on the inside as it did when I bought it. :-)

Does anyone think that the rinse aide leaves a chemical residue on the dishes? I am curious about this since the thought of a possible chemical residue is unappealing to me.

I haven't researched it, but it seems counter-intuitive to me.  It's supposed to prevent residue, so leaving itself as a residue strikes me as odd.