Menu

I've been selected for "verification" and can't get my tax transcript until MAY

Joanne

It is not fair. Not fair. Not fair.

I submitted by taxes, but owe and didn't pay in full. (I requested a payment plan).

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Transcript-Availability

My poor is so anxious. She "gets it" only to a point. How do you explain Financial Aid, IRS, and  bureaucracy to an 18 year old college Senior who just wants to know where she is going?

I had to do verification last year, it was requested by the school but I think they are required to do verification for a certain number of students each year.  All the information had to be official transcripts.  I was able to get ours even though we were doing a payment plan.  I hope you are able to get it worked out soon.

Joanne, forgive me, but I guess I'm not understanding... Is this for FAFSA aid? Can't the school just use your estimated tax that you gave them?

But still, I really wish things could go easy for you, you know? You and your kids so deserve it.

I am really surprised that the financial aid offices cannot take your submitted tax forms and receipt and verification docs for an offer!! That is awful. Did you have a chance to call them yet?

A rather large percentage of FAFSa submissions are required to go through a verification process. So, no, they will not just take what you submitted online. The preferred method of proof is generally using the data retrieval tool once it is available for your info. However, I have recently had that come back (for last year's info/which it turns out ds doesn't need afterall) as unusable for me. No idea why. Next step is getting official transcripts from the IRS.

I thought her taxes were subject to verification, not FAFSA. I get it now. Joanne I am so, so sorry. So no aid package until verified, not even tentative? Can she accept at both schools and let them know what is going on?

Joanne, forgive me, but I guess I'm not understanding... Is this for FAFSA aid? Can't the school just use your estimated tax that you gave them?

But still, I really wish things could go easy for you, you know? You and your kids so deserve it.

Yes, for Financial/FAFSA aid. Some colleges will give an estimate/unofficial. Some won't. One wants us to come down with my dd's ss card!

I filed my FAFSA with my actual tax informaltion, but it won't link and I can't get a tax transcript. The tax transcript is what they need for the verification (was well as other stuff, which I've done.)

We just had to do Verification also.  Thankfully, I was able to go straight into the financial aid office and they helped tremendously.  It’s still frustrating though and I can understand your panic.  I was feeling it too.

I hope you can get things handled with a little stress as possible.

• Like 1

It is not fair. Not fair. Not fair.

I submitted by taxes, but owe and didn't pay in full. (I requested a payment plan).

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Transcript-Availability

My poor is so anxious. She "gets it" only to a point. How do you explain Financial Aid, IRS, and  bureaucracy to an 18 year old college Senior who just wants to know where she is going?

I have a senior in state college and a freshman in private college. I've never had to verify anything for the senior, but got picked this year for the freshman. I was able to use the DRT and then email the forms to the finaid office. Fortunately, the whole thing only took me a half hour. I'm sorry it's not working out smoothly for you. :-(

I have a senior in state college and a freshman in private college. I've never had to verify anything for the senior, but got picked this year for the freshman. I was able to use the DRT and then email the forms to the finaid office. Fortunately, the whole thing only took me a half hour. I'm sorry it's not working out smoothly for you. :-(

The delay is due to my income tax filing status. I've filed, but because I owe and haven't paid in full, I can't get the tax transcript until mid May.

We had this happen to us last year when we needed verification for buying a house. We owed and paid our taxes in full and still couldn't get a transcript until mid-May. We sat in the local IRS office weekly and were told that if you owe the government, even if you pay them early (which we did) they still won't begin to process the returns until early May. So honestly, I don't think you've lost anything at all by using a payment plan. This is one of the issues created by the recession/housing & bank meltdown/IRS cutbacks and I swear it is only hurting hard-working people who actually pay their taxes. I've never been so frustrated in my whole life but it did eventually work out in our favor. I hope the same happens for you.

• Like 2

It's all a big complicated mess, all right.  

I barely survived the FAFSA.  I lost count how many tries it took.  I'm not sure if it was busy or what it was.  I had some really odd errors occur.

The college financial application was a breeze in comparison, even with having to do the final touches on the transcript at the last minute.

One cycle down. More to come...

I'm not clear: Is this one college or all of them that want the transcript? 

If it is a college, you may simply need to point the director of financial aid to the IRS information and say that it is impossible to give them this information at this time, what is the next best thing I can give you?

If it is the FAFSA and the IRS, that's two separate branches of the federal government. I would still try asking a college director of financial aid for advice, since maybe they have seen this problem before, but if that doesn't work, I would try calling the constituent affairs people for your senator or representative in DC.

• 2 weeks later...

I work at a university and we are accepting copies of tax return for now to award students financial aid who owe. Eventually when tax transcripts become available, you'll still need to submit it in order to verify nothing has changed. Contact the financial aid office to see if that is an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hate that you had this complication pop up in the middle of the already complicated senior year. I hope the school(s) were able to work with you until you can get the tax transcript. It seems like they would have had to see this situation previously and know what to do.