Menu

Need literature suggestions for WW1 and WW2

world war 2 era:

Animal Farm-Russian Revolution

Parallel Journeys, Eleanor Ayer-  This is about a women and a young man (teenager), the woman goes eventually goes to a concentration camp and the boy becomes a solider in the Germany army.  It give tons of history about the war as well.

The Book Thief ,  Markus Zusak-( i have only gotten 1/2 way through the book but it is good so far) The narrator in this book is Death, and he (or she??) tells the story of a young child whose mother gives her up to a German family during the war-she can't take care of her any longer.  The girl forms a close attachment to the kind husband and the wife is a mean woman.  Many events in the story are centered around the war.

• Like 1

Well, I have time now so here are a few more to consider:

WW1

Goodbye to all that - memoir Robert Graves

Rilla of Ingleside - the last Anne of Green Gables book set during the 4 years of the war

Poetry - Brooke, McRae, Sassoon, Owen, others

Testament of Youth - Brittain - memoir

In between

Mein Kampf

WW2

All My Sons - Miller - play

Night - Wiesel

A Bell for Adano - Hersey

Hiroshima - Hersey

Catch-22 - Heller

• Like 1

The Case of Comrade Tulayev by Victor Serge and Darkness at Noon by Koestler are very interesting and would pair well - they cover the 1930s-era Stalin purges in Russia and offer a lot of insight into the establishment of the dictatorship in post-revolutionary Russia.  Darkness at Noon would also pair very well with 1984 - kind of a "real life" version of what Orwell was imagining.

Nonfiction WW2

Hitler Youth: Growing Up In Hitler's Shadow http://www.amazon.com/Hitler-Youth-Growing-Hitlers-Nonfiction/dp/0439353793/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427377080&sr=8-1&keywords=hitler+youth+growing+up+in+hitler%27s+shadow

Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Courage-Untold-Resistance-Holocaust/dp/0763669288/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427378081&sr=1-2&keywords=jewish+resistance

The combination of both books was stunning. We paired chapters about similar regions/times/events as much as possible, reading one from HY and one from BC. The books focus on teens and young adults, so dd was able to relate to them on a more personal level. They were emotionally difficult reads at times.

Highly recommended

And dd's other favorite book from that era was mentioned above, Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Courage-Untold-Resistance-Holocaust/dp/0763669288/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427378081&sr=1-2&keywords=jewish+resistance Dd was so fascinated she read it in one sitting.

• Like 2

WW2

Catch-22 - Heller

Gosh, I thought Catch 22 - was set during the Korean War...

What about Nisei Daughter? (by Monica Itoi Sone) A wonderful memoir of a second-generation American Japanese girl living in Seattle pre-WWII through internment camp and beyond.  My son and I really enjoyed it.

Edited - I guess I get Catch 22 and MASH mixed up.  Yep, WWII.

Gosh, I thought Catch 22 - was set during the Korean War...

What about Nisei Daughter? (by Monica Itoi Sone) A wonderful memoir of a second-generation American Japanese girl living in Seattle pre-WWII through internment camp and beyond.  My son and I really enjoyed it.

Edited - I guess I get Catch 22 and MASH mixed up.  Yep, WWII.

Catch-22 wasn't published until 1961 and he wrote it during the Korean War years - maybe that's why you though it was Korean War era?

I've never read it but my husband told me to have my son read it, so I will be reading it with him next year!

DD14 and I are doing a survey of WW2 for history this year. Like your daughter, she loves this era.

To name a few -

Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow,

The Book Thief (daughter's favorite),

Night (I could not put this down until I was done),

Flora: I Was But a Child,

Unbroken,

The Girls of Room 28,

Defiance: The Belski Partisans,

Code Talker: A Novel About Navajo Marines,

The Last Jew of Treblinka,

The Glass Menagerie (written in 1944 but has nothing to do with WW2. Daughter cannot put it down.),

The Zookeeper's Wife,

The Hiding Place,

The Woman Who Could not Forget,

Dear God Have You Ever Gone Hungry,

The Abandonment of the Jews:???,

Flag of Our Fathers,

Iwo,

Barefoot Gen,

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (we both loved this and has proven to be unforgettable)

We've watched lots of great movies and documentaries too, if you are interested in that list.

• Like 2

I've been on a personal dive into nonfiction about the World Wars, so in roughly reverse chronological order:

Hunting Eichmann.  This would be a great ending, as it involves the Mossad's hunting down Adolph Eichmann in the 60s and how that seared the Holocaust into the world's consciousness.  Really amazing story.  I just finished this over the weekend and have been thinking about it ever since.

The Boys in the Boat, which takes place just before WW II and addresses Hitler's attempts to sell the Nazi regime to the world.

The Secret Lives of Codebreakers about Bletchley Park, which I followed up with the more personal My Secret Life in Hut Sixwhich was one Welch Bletchley Park codebreaker's experience before, during and just after WW II.

Unbroken, of course.  Other survival stories from WW II:  The Forgotten 500Ghost Soldiers.  All three of these do a great job of putting the events into their historical context, not just telling a good story.

Dark Invasion about German spies on U.S. soil during WWI, which helped put into perspective the U.S. actions as to Japanese Americans during WW II.

For lighter fictional fare, I confess that I enjoyed War Horse.

I am really fascinated by the British experience during WW II.  The TV series Foyle's War is great for this and is available on Netflix.  It's very clean and suitable for all ages except for a couple of episodes that briefly show badly-wounded bodies and might offend very sensitive tykes.

I am really fascinated by the British experience during WW II.  The TV series Foyle's War is great for this and is available on Netflix.  It's very clean and suitable for all ages except for a couple of episodes that briefly show badly-wounded bodies and might offend very sensitive tykes.

One of my favorite series, ever.

• Like 2

WW1

Lord of the Nutcracker Men (f)

The Yanks are Coming by Albert Marrin (nf)

WW2

They Thought They Were Free (nf)

Biographies and History books by Albert Marrin :Stalin, Hitler, Victory in the Pacific  (nf)

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denysovich(SP?) by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (f)

• Like 1

DD14 and I are doing a survey of WW2 for history this year. Like your daughter, she loves this era.

To name a few -

Unbroken,

The Girls of Room 28,

The Glass Menagerie (written in 1944 but has nothing to do with WW2. Daughter cannot put it down.),

The Zookeeper's Wife,

The Hiding Place,

Flag of Our Fathers,

Iwo,

Barefoot Gen,

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (we both loved this and has proven to be unforgettable)

We've watched lots of great movies and documentaries too, if you are interested in that list.

I would love a list of movies and documentaries!  thanks!

• Like 1

To name a few -

Unbroken,

The Girls of Room 28,

The Zookeeper's Wife,

The Hiding Place,

Flag of Our Fathers,

Iwo,

Barefoot Gen,

Which translation of Night did you read?