Menu

Frustration with clear plastic retainers

mom2hunangirls

My kids have these too & my 20yo dd has cracked hers too. She gets a couple free replacements as part of the brace package & they made the new ones out of thicker plastic (more like the anti grinding mouthguards) so I'm hoping these will last.

Our orthos tried to explain that it was because they wanted them to be worn 24/7 at first & they thought these were better looking but both my kids thought they were kind of yucky & would have preferred a wire retainer. They're both just wearing at night now so it's not very relevant.

My daughter chewed/ground teethed her way through one of those clear plastic retainers in less than a month.  The previous one lasted 2 months.  After the second one, they made her a pretty thick plastic and wire retainer - very old school.  They didn't charge us.  It was part of the all-in-one cost of my daughter's weird mouth.  She grinds her teeth and has the habit of chewing on these things like gum.  She's only 7 though (yes, she needed orthodontics due to a cleft lip/palate - there's no way I would put braces on a child this young!).