Menu

Ignore this thread!

Now, Mom31257, be sure to read THE WHOLE THREAD.

I was afraid someone was going to say this!

Summer project?

Really there's a whole lot of nothing here.  The odd thing about this form of communication is that you're more likely to talk about nothing than something. But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings.

(Points if you can name the movie quoted)

(Is it spectrum-y that I'd rather communicate in movie quotes?)

• Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Really there's a whole lot of nothing here.  The odd thing about this form of communication is that you're more likely to talk about nothing than something. But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings.

You've Got Mail!

• Like 3

Overachiever.  :glare:

My kids accuse me of this, too, especially when they just want to play Minecraft.  At least one of their subjects lets them do exactly this (learning Java coding through Minecraft modding).  But I still insist on other stuff, too.

And it is paying off.  For example, they are getting more and more familiar with subordinating conjunctions, largely because of the new, hit statement I trotted out some months back in response to a typical teen lack-of-response to a question:

"Because" isn't an answer.  It's a subordinating conjunction.

Best concurrent eye-rolling, groaning, and giggling I've been able to trigger in years!  Though I did have to clean up the aftermath of the spit-take the other offspring did....  (And this was in the car, too.)

• Like 4

But there are also a lot of great lessons in how to improve your online forum image (post padding, titles, grandiose signature lines), wonderful sage advice on how to handle life's foibles (seek someplace to whine and vent where you will get lots of hugs and there-theres until you can handle it on your own again), and general fun and entertaining tidbits.  Well worth trolling through!

Oh, and cultural studies, like hula!

• Like 5

DENTAL ALERT

I'm having a tooth removed. It's a molar that has been fine since I was a kid, but is being removed to make way for a wisdom tooth. How long should I expect to be out of commission? I have to watch the kids by myself tomorrow. That's cool, right? Can I do cardio tomorrow? Say no.

• Like 3

Depends on what your tolerance level is for pain.  I was able to have my wisdom teeth removed and only use over the counter meds (even though they prescribed some really good stuff)  but I've known others who were knocked flat by the pain.

• Like 1

Depends on what your tolerance level is for pain.  I was able to have my wisdom teeth removed and only use over the counter meds (even though they prescribed some really good stuff)  but I've known others who were knocked flat by the pain.

I've got a great tolerance, but the fact that it's actually in my mouth makes me nervous. It's a poor location for pain. :(

• Like 1

I just had my wisdom tooth pulled a couple of weeks ago if you remember. I only took tylenol for the first day (or two). I wasn't knocked over by pain, but I was extremely tired the first day. All I wanted to do was lay down and go to sleep. Thankfully, dh was home and took care of 4yo. My mouth was sore for a few days though, making it difficult to eat. So, I ate a lot of soft foods the first week.  And, food kept getting in the darn hole. I had to keep rinsing to make sure it stayed clean. I actually still have that problem.

• Like 1

Oh, forgot to mention: if I had been home alone with 4yo, I would have had Netflix on the laptop on the bed next to me so 4yo would be with me. I'd have easy meals that I could just get up, give to them with a towel or blanket on the bed, and lay back down. With this 4yo, I never truly go completely asleep, she is way too mischievous for that(!), but I'd get some semblance of rest with needed stuff (food, toys, books, other entertainment) nearby.

I just had my wisdom tooth pulled a couple of weeks ago if you remember. I only took tylenol for the first day (or two). I wasn't knocked over by pain, but I was extremely tired the first day. All I wanted to do was lay down and go to sleep. Thankfully, dh was home and took care of 4yo. My mouth was sore for a few days though, making it difficult to eat. So, I ate a lot of soft foods the first week.  And, food kept getting in the darn hole. I had to keep rinsing to make sure it stayed clean. I actually still have that problem.

I posted in here because I knew you'd see it. I don't have the time to deal with another thread right now.  :willy_nilly:

Oh, forgot to mention: if I had been home alone with 4yo, I would have had Netflix on the laptop on the bed next to me so 4yo would be with me. I'd have easy meals that I could just get up, give to them with a towel or blanket on the bed, and lay back down. With this 4yo, I never truly go completely asleep, she is way too mischievous for that(!), but I'd get some semblance of rest with needed stuff (food, toys, books, other entertainment) nearby.

I can have meals ready. I was supposed to have this done on a day that Matt would be home the next day, but the dentist cancelled and it's either do it now or wait a month and I'm in a LOT of pain and it will only get worse.

• Like 3

No, it is def not spectrum-y to communicate in movie quotes or lines from songs.  Dh and I communicate mostly like that, and we are not spectrum-y.

• Like 3

I took Nan to the hair dresser in the rain because her hair looked like poop.  It had been two weeks since it was done.  So I wrangle the kids and Nan and the wheelchair in the rain, with Nan fighting me the whole time.  At the shampoo bowl, she refused to lay back and said she didn't want her hair done.  So I hollered every trick I knew (because she is half deaf) with an audience of  a bunch of shampoo ladies, some customers, two kids, and the hairdresser.  I pulled out the big stops, I tell you.  Then she finally grudgingly submitted to have her hair washed, and I tipped the shampoo lady five bucks.  Then she complained a lot to the hairdresser and I tipped her ten bucks.  (The set was only $25.)  Then I wrangled her back in the car and then wrangled her in the grocery store.  I had to bribe her with chocolate.  I feel like I ran two marathons.

Ain't nobody got time for that.  

• Like 5

Hugs to you, Slache!  And you too, Tex!  

And some more for everybody else!  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I remember doing an Anne of Green Gables marathon when my wisdom teeth were pulled, and was fine in 24 hours.  But no kids or hubby back then, just selfish ole' me. 

• Like 1

Dental Warning

They could only get 1/2 of my tooth out. The root is exposed and I'm in so much pain. I won't have the money for an oral surgeon for months and I don't know what to do. I can't stop crying.

Oh, Slache.   So sorry to hear all this.  Hugs, and tons of prayers, flying your way right now. 

DENTAL ALERT

I'm having a tooth removed. It's a molar that has been fine since I was a kid, but is being removed to make way for a wisdom tooth. How long should I expect to be out of commission? I have to watch the kids by myself tomorrow. That's cool, right? Can I do cardio tomorrow? Say no.

No!  No cardio after a tooth extraction.  You need to sit quietly and be pampered by all who surround you.  Time for your kids to be post-op nurses.

Will I be stupid* or just miserable?

*stupider than usual

You will likely be quite a bit goofier than usual.  Tell the kids that you have had surgery and need to be taken good care of.  You have to sit quietly a lot because they gave you some medication that will make you silly and unsteady, and you could hurt yourself if you move around a lot.

Before you go make sure the house is set up so the kids can fetch things for you, like water or pillows or blankets or tissues -- whatever they might think a recovering patient might need.  They WILL think of stuff, and will be looking for it, so set some things up for them so they can find and bring them.  Then relax, because it will help the pain lessen, and let your kids have a chance to take care of Mommy for a change.  A lot of taking care of Mommy can include sitting and cuddling on the couch while watching TV.

It also depends on how complicated the job gets.  The first wisdom tooth I had out was easy peasy, very little pain.  The next was so horrid I didn't go back to a dentist for 5 years.  After I finally went back I had a few years before my other two wisdom teeth were in far enough to tell they would cause problems, and they told me I would be fine for driving after 10-20 minutes of recovery time in their waiting room.  It did not go as planned.  I had to be fetched by one friend, taken to another friend's couch where I spent the night being taken care of, and then the next day I was finally fit enough to fetch my car, go home, and feed my cat.

The tooth being taken out is not a wisdom tooth and they likely have better images and a better idea of what the task will be like, so I would assume all will be fine.  However, people's tolerances vary, so being prepared at home for feeling worse than expected is a prudent measure, just in case.

It can take a few months for those sockets to fill in.  There shouldn't be pain the whole time, but yes, food getting caught there is an issue to be aware of.

I posted in here because I knew you'd see it. I don't have the time to deal with another thread right now.  :willy_nilly:

I can have meals ready. I was supposed to have this done on a day that Matt would be home the next day, but the dentist cancelled and it's either do it now or wait a month and I'm in a LOT of pain and it will only get worse.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I wish I was there to take care of you and the kids.

Who is driving you to and from?  Any chance they can hang  around for a little while after you get home to make sure all will be okay?

I took Nan to the hair dresser in the rain because her hair looked like poop.  It had been two weeks since it was done.  So I wrangle the kids and Nan and the wheelchair in the rain, with Nan fighting me the whole time.  At the shampoo bowl, she refused to lay back and said she didn't want her hair done.  So I hollered every trick I knew (because she is half deaf) with an audience of  a bunch of shampoo ladies, some customers, two kids, and the hairdresser.  I pulled out the big stops, I tell you.  Then she finally grudgingly submitted to have her hair washed, and I tipped the shampoo lady five bucks.  Then she complained a lot to the hairdresser and I tipped her ten bucks.  (The set was only $25.)  Then I wrangled her back in the car and then wrangled her in the grocery store.  I had to bribe her with chocolate.  I feel like I ran two marathons.

Ain't nobody got time for that.  

:ohmy:

Wow, you are talented!

Dental Warning

They could only get 1/2 of my tooth out. The root is exposed and I'm in so much pain. I won't have the money for an oral surgeon for months and I don't know what to do. I can't stop crying.

I know I already responded to this, but it just makes me so sad!  

Tex is right; they can't just leave it, can they??  

Dental Warning

HUGS!

Today!?!  I thought it was going to be tomorrow!  I am so sorry for you.  We will send all the get-well wishes and energy we can send your way.

Call the dentist about the pain and other possible measures.  They can't just leave you in that condition.

HUGS!

Today!?! I thought it was going to be tomorrow! I am so sorry for you. We will send all the get-well wishes and energy we can send your way.

Call the dentist about the pain and other possible measures. They can't just leave you in that condition.

She just told me to go to the oral surgeon first thing in the morning and when I told her I couldn't afford it she told me to come up with the money. I'm calling my doctor in the morning.

Slashie, DD10 is marshalling all of her stuffed animals to send you healing energy and well-wishes, too.  They will spend their time in Dreamland trying to get you better.

And she wants to know if it would be more considerate of us to NOT call you "Slash" if you are having tooth problems....

• Like 1

She just told me to go to the oral surgeon first thing in the morning and when I told her I couldn't afford it she told me to come up with the money. I'm calling my doctor in the morning.

Yes, absolutely, talk to your own doctor to see what he/she suggests.  This whole situation stinks to high heaven.  I hope you can get it taken care of quickly somehow, and after that part is done perhaps you need to review how the dentist handled your case to see if perhaps further action is warranted.

I can't believe they just sent you home in that condition.

:angry:

Yes, absolutely, talk to your own doctor to see what he/she suggests. This whole situation stinks to high heaven. I hope you can get it taken care of quickly somehow, and after that part is done perhaps you need to review how the dentist handled your case to see if perhaps further action is warranted.

I can't believe they just sent you home in that condition.

:angry:

I thought about that.

DH says you need to contact a lawyer immediately to document the case before it gets fixed (pictures, thorough pictures showing what all is wrong).  This smacks of malpractice.  

You need immediate emergency attention from an oral surgeon.  You also need documentation of the condition the dentist left you in.  Talk to a lawyer first thing in the morning, and talk to an oral surgeon (maybe the lawyer knows of one if you don't).  It could be the dentist might have to foot at least part, if not all, of the oral surgeon bill, since it was the dentist who agreed to take on the job and then botched it.

• Like 2

Maybe it will grow back tonight and everything will be better. That happens, right?

We can hope.  Can your DH take time off work tomorrow for this emergency?  Do you have anyone to help with the kids and to drive you wherever you need to go?

DH says you need to contact a lawyer immediately to document the case before it gets fixed (pictures, thorough pictures showing what all is wrong). This smacks of malpractice.

You need immediate emergency attention from an oral surgeon. You also need documentation of the condition the dentist left you in. Talk to a lawyer first thing in the morning, and talk to an oral surgeon (maybe the lawyer knows of one if you don't). It could be the dentist might have to foot at least part, if not all, of the oral surgeon bill, since it was the dentist who agreed to take on the job and then botched it.

I'll have to think about this tonight. Her husband was just diagnosed with cancer and he doesn't have long. My tooth (jojosmom stop reading) is infected and broke into pieces.

JOJOSMOM IT'S SAFE. I don't think this is really her fault. I think she was in a bad place and I was a bad patient.