Menu

Ignore this thread!

Yup. Ds is not on the spectrum, so his SPD doesn't qualify him for anything at the moment (SPD isn't a stand-alone condition in the DSM right now).  The team that diagnosed him was actually happy I was planning on homeschooling him, since I can provide for him.  Thankfully it's a mild case.  Acquaintances of mine had a severe case, minus ASD, and ended up taking out a second mortgage on their home just to get OT for their child.

Good grief!  That is terrible.

We got amazing SPD services from the OT at the public school district.  I will be forever grateful to her for what she did for my child.  Two years post goodbye to services from her, we still keep in touch.  :)

• Like 1

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

bang!

(and no, I'm not going to use a capital.  because she's not MY boss)

ETA: oops.  someone beat me to it.  see what happens when I try to pay attention to my job?

Thank you, too.  It was so painful I needed to be shot twice.

And welcome to the thread, ikslo.

But if you want to be an ignore-amus, you need to work on your priorities.

• Like 4

Good grief!  That is terrible.

We got amazing SPD services from the OT at the public school district.  I will be forever grateful to her for what she did for my child.  Two years post goodbye to services from her, we still keep in touch.   :)

Thankfully they had amazing results too, and say it was worth it.   We haven't sought out OT yet for Ds, but we've toyed with the idea on and off.  I've just read everything I can get my hands on and implemented different strategies at home.  

Thankfully they had amazing results too, and say it was worth it.   We haven't sought out OT yet for Ds, but we've toyed with the idea on and off.  I've just read everything I can get my hands on and implemented different strategies at home.  

Our OT used a curricula called Ready Bodies, Learning Minds.  It could easily be implemented by a well-informed parent at home.

• Like 1

Tuna salad with colby jack cheese in a Trader Joe's Habanero Lime wrap.  And blue corn chips.  And an Oreo cookie.  (Okay okay. Four oreo cookies for me.  It was a long morning.)

Nummers. I had quinoa with red bell pepper, mozzarella, grape tomatoes and diced spinach with recovery drink. :)

Oh, and in the "Earth Shattering News" department:

It is my birthday.  I am old.

Happy anniversary on your escape from the womb.

So, do mommies of an only get limited to one package?

Yes.

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!  (Quoting Darth Vader when he's told he killed Padme.)

Never seen it.  :coolgleamA:

Our OT used a curricula called Ready Bodies, Learning Minds.  It could easily be implemented by a well-informed parent at home.

Looking into this!

I just emailed this link to DD under the title "I don't love you this much."

No.

• Like 1

People are ignoring this thread. That's not ok.

Not me. I've been lazy all day and hoping for someone to chat with.  But now I have to go put on decent clothes so Nana and DH can take me out to dinner for my birthday.  DD ditched me for a trip to an amusement park with a friend. (It was a special event and a BIG deal for little friend, so I am totally okay with it. Mostly.)

(And can I be really evil and say that what I would really like would be to crash on the couch with a glass of wine, a bowl of smoked almonds, and unlimited episodes of House Hunters International?  Please don't tell Nana; she loves taking me out for my birthday and I love her, so out we go.)

:auto:

• Like 5

Thank you darling.

My pleasure.  :)

I heard the author speak at an autism conference.  Tony Attwood and Temple Grandin also spoke.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I hugged the author of the book and cried and told her how much she had helped me to understand my son.  She was a lovely woman.  I have a photo with her somewhere.  :)

• Like 1

My pleasure. :)

I heard the author speak at an autism conference. Tony Attwood and Temple Grandin also spoke. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hugged the author of the book and cried and told her how much she had helped me to understand my son. She was a lovely woman. I have a photo with her somewhere. :)

You are absolutely determined that I admit to being autistic aren't you? :P

• Like 2

You are absolutely determined that I admit to being autistic aren't you? :p

I think that everyone should join Team Autism if at all possible.

Okay, not really because there are some challenges involved.  

But no, I am really not determined.  I don't see ASD everywhere - I promise.  And maybe you just have SPD without ASD.  Some folks do!  

I will say that I loved, loved, loved hearing Temple Grandin speak, and I really enjoyed the movie staring Claire Danes (I think?) of her life.  So fascinating.  She is a cool lady, and she credited her mother with her success.  She is completely uninterested in human relationships except as a means to an end in her career, which is designing livestock equipment.  She is very successful at that.  She said that she learned to make nice with people in order to further her career, but she has no interest in relationships.  That must be so freeing in some ways.  As a person who is overly interested in relationships, I listened with rapt attention.

• Like 2

You're hot for 42. That's funny that you say don't see ASD everywhere because I do.

I know, right???  But then menopause hit, and I am not hot anymore.  <sob>

I see ASD pretty clearly when it exists (in person) because I have a lot of experience with it personally and professionally.  But I don't think everyone has it.  

• Like 1

I know, right??? But then menopause hit, and I am not hot anymore. <sob>

I see ASD pretty clearly when it exists (in person) because I have a lot of experience with it personally and professionally. But I don't think everyone has it.

I've just read SO much about it because it was the closest thing to what I seemed to have, so I'm constantly seeing people with autistic tendencies.

• Like 1

I've just read SO much about it because it was the closest thing to what I seemed to have, so I'm constantly seeing people with autistic tendencies.

ASD has a lot of overlap with other dx. Also, often ADHD and anxiety are co morbid with ASD. I missed ASD in my own kid for a long time because he didn't quite fit the profile I was most familiar with. There is a lot of variation. It is a broad spectrum.
  • Like 1

I know, right???  But then menopause hit, and I am not hot anymore.  <sob>

I see ASD pretty clearly when it exists (in person) because I have a lot of experience with it personally and professionally.  But I don't think everyone has it.  

I don't think it is possible for a woman like you to lose your hotness. I think you're still hot (sight unseen, but when I see you for a visit, I will confirm here on the boards that you are still hot).

• Like 7

I am outta likes.  So happy for you Slashaboo!

arghhhhh.  arghhhh. arghhhhhhhhh.  

And all y'all are hot babes regardless of age or height.  Plus I'm so envious about that Temple Grandin/Carol Kranowitz thingy you attended, Tex.  Grandin was three miles away from me not too long ago, and.I.missed.out.    

What a loser I am.  

But I've read The Autistic Brain, and Out-of-Sync Child.  Loved both.  Out-of-Sync really helped me understand my son.  

• Like 2

I'm talking into my phone so the typos should be hilarious. I tried to drive once in a parking lot at 17 and knew I couldn't do it so I never tried again. Years later my mother in law told me that I was a selfish wife and that she was determined that I learn how to drive. She took me out and after I knocked the mailbox down we headed out to the freeway. I nearly hit two cars before we pulled into an RV lot to turn around. I hit the same RV twice. I legitimately didn't see it. She legitimately didn't believe me. We took the back roads home and for some reason she still has me driving. Part of the town that we went through always had people walking in the streets that didn't move out of the way for cars. I always found that very irritating. She expected me to slow down, though I don't know why because she knows me better than that, so as I laid on my horn driving the speed limit she screamed at me to stop and hit me in the arm repeatedly until everyone ran out of the way. I think at this point she started driving and told me I never had to drive again.

• Like 4

I'm talking into my phone so the typos should be hilarious. I tried to drive once in a parking lot at 17 and knew I couldn't do it so I never tried again. Years later my mother in law told me that I was a selfish wife and that she was determined that I learn how to drive. She took me out and after I knocked the mailbox down we headed out to the freeway. I nearly hit two cars before we pulled into an RV lot to turn around. I hit the same RV twice. I legitimately didn't see it. She legitimately didn't believe me. We took the back roads home and for some reason she still has me driving. Part of the town that we went through always had people walking in the streets that didn't move out of the way for cars. I always found that very irritating. She expected me to slow down, though I don't know why because she knows me better than that, so as I laid on my horn driving the speed limit she screamed at me to stop and hit me in the arm repeatedly until everyone ran out of the way. I think at this point she started driving and told me I never had to drive again.

Yeee haw!  :smilielol5:

That was worth staying up for!!  

You and JoJosmom are lucky though.  I was just about to break into some elevator muzac while waiting.  You Light Up My Life was top on my list.  

• Like 3