Menu

Ignore this thread!

Speaking of buying things when you're about to be unemployed and can't afford stuff: I just bought two tickets for my oldest and I to go see The Force Awakens on opening night at 2AM in IMAX 3D. My wife thinks I am insane.

No, that's not insane. It's a new Star Wars movie with Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher in it!!! I mean c'mon hello McFly!!

Insane would be going in full costume as Chewbacca complete with my sound rig. Which I'm probably doing. So OK maybe she's got a point.

• Like 7

Speaking of buying things when you're about to be unemployed and can't afford stuff: I just bought two tickets for my oldest and I to go see The Force Awakens on opening night at 2AM in IMAX 3D. My wife thinks I am insane.

No, that's not insane. It's a new Star Wars movie with Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher in it!!! I mean c'mon hello McFly!!

Insane would be going in full costume as Chewbacca complete with my sound rig. Which I'm probably doing. So OK maybe she's got a point.

Not insane. Even in full costume. It's an integral part of The Star Wars Experience.

Now, if a person chose to have their wedding ceremony on opening night at the theater in full costume, well, I might consider that just a little over-the-top. (You didn't do that, right?) :D

• Like 3

Not insane. Even in full costume. It's an integral part of The Star Wars Experience.

Now, if a person chose to have their wedding ceremony on opening night at the theater in full costume, well, I might consider that just a little over-the-top. (You didn't do that, right?) :D

My husband wanted to wear a tux he saw based on a Jedi thing because he hates tuxedos. It was very handsome. MIL said that was trashy and instead all of the groomsmen should pull light sabers out when we kissed and have star wars music play. Um, no.

• Like 4

So on my lunch break I went and bought Izzy that Millenium Falcon set for Christmas. I blame all of you for bringing it up.

I figure it's probably going to sell out soon, and I can always return it if we decide to go another way.

EDIT - oh and if you spend >$50 on LEGO at Toys R Us right now, you get a free C3PO minifig, apparently. The Episode 7 version of him with a red left arm (no explanation for the red arm yet.)

Maybe he's turning to the dark side.  Previously, anyone who lost his hand was then tempted by the dark side and stared intently at it's replacement in contemplation of their own evil.  <such great acting, right?> 

Eta:  I'm excited for you getting the Millenium Falcon set!  :hurray:

• Like 1

I crossed the road.  Alone.  In the rain.  To go to Kohls.

I successfully exchanged shirt.  I spent Kohls cash on a cute vest for me for Christmas.  I struck out on other Christmas quests, namely nice gloves for me and oldest ds.  I'm convinced that when it comes to gloves there are outrageously expensive gloves.  And then there are these horrible things you settle for, wear once and immediately regret because they are too tight, too wet, and too cold.  #glovesnob 

• Like 3

My husband wanted to wear a tux he saw based on a Jedi thing because he hates tuxedos. It was very handsome. MIL said that was trashy and instead all of the groomsmen should pull light sabers out when we kissed and have star wars music play. Um, no.

My brother and SIL had the Throne Room Theme played as their wedding recessional. It was awesome.

• Like 6

I crossed the road. Alone. In the rain. To go to Kohls.

I successfully exchanged shirt. I spent Kohls cash on a cute vest for me for Christmas. I struck out on other Christmas quests, namely nice gloves for me and oldest ds. I'm convinced that when it comes to gloves there are outrageously expensive gloves. And then there are these horrible things you settle for, wear once and immediately regret because they are too tight, too wet, and too cold. #glovesnob

Why did the turkey cross the road?

It wasn't very funny. Just that if the whole world found out that the chicken was thinking of Kohls when it crossed the road, that would be a lot of free advertising. And so Kohl's stockholders would be so happy to hear of it.

Oh oh oh ooooooh! Yeah, it wasn't very funny.

• Like 3

Maybe he's turning to the dark side.  Previously, anyone who lost his hand was then tempted by the dark side and stared intently at it's replacement in contemplation of their own evil.  <such great acting, right?> 

Eta:  I'm excited for you getting the Millenium Falcon set!  :hurray:

Hey now, it's for Izzy. :P

She really did ask for it. Unprompted.

Actually she wanted the AT-AT which is similar in size/price but I pointed out that the Falcon comes with twice as many figures including BB-8 and then she was all about it.

She also wants some model kits of the other ships, but they're already hard to find except for the really cheap/flimsy ones and the ones you can find are being sold by scalpers. :-/

• Like 1

I crossed the road.  Alone.  In the rain.  To go to Kohls.

I successfully exchanged shirt.  I spent Kohls cash on a cute vest for me for Christmas.  I struck out on other Christmas quests, namely nice gloves for me and oldest ds.  I'm convinced that when it comes to gloves there are outrageously expensive gloves.  And then there are these horrible things you settle for, wear once and immediately regret because they are too tight, too wet, and too cold.  #glovesnob 

I love Hemingway jokes.

To prove he wasn't chicken.

And chicken jokes.

And elephant jokes.  

What animals were the last to leave the ark?

The elephants - they had to pack their trunks.  

• Like 7

Quackers, here's my baby thing I loved so much. http://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=45475486&eESource=CA_DF:45475486:TRUS

I liked having her in with me but I don't put babies in my bed when I sleep. It folds up so we brought it with us when we went to a wedding 4 hours away and stayed in a hotel.

I decided I wouldn't get new clothes or blankets because moms always have so many, but towels wear out and so do bottles.

• Like 2

Quackers, here's my baby thing I loved so much. http://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=45475486&eESource=CA_DF:45475486:TRUS

I liked having her in with me but I don't put babies in my bed when I sleep. It folds up so we brought it with us when we went to a wedding 4 hours away and stayed in a hotel.

I decided I wouldn't get new clothes or blankets because moms always have so many, but towels wear out and so do bottles.

We had one of these with dd5 and we used it a lot.  I think she slept in it for the first year.  (She's bitty.)  One of the best baby items ever!!

We had one of these with dd5 and we used it a lot. I think she slept in it for the first year. (She's bitty.) One of the best baby items ever!!

My all time favorites are the wubanub because they can grab them when they wake up in the middle of the night and you can strap them in the car seat so they don't fall, and the itzbeen timer. I had PPD so I was kinda dumb or tired or something with Mary. The timer helped me to take care of things I didn't care about. I fear that without it I might not have fed her enough or something. It was a really bad time.

Now they both have fevers. Little dd is 102.1 and little ds is 102.3. They have been given 10ml of children's ibuprofen @ 6:15 p.m. They are now eating. Dd is having chicken flavored ramen noodles, and ds is having chicken noodle soup with Ritz crackers. They are also drinking sprite which is a treat since they usually don't have soft drinks. :)

It is going to be a long night, but at least I will know when their last dose of medicine was. I will probably have to alternate with Tylenol at about 8 p.m. if the fevers haven't subsided some.

• Like 2

It is time for my yearly hunt to book decent, reasonably priced hotels in the vicinity of Harrisonburg, VA and Roanoke, VA, before and after Christmas, respectively. I feel I have done well if the room plus tax/fees are $75/night since I have to book 2 rooms in each hotel.

#stillcheaperthanflying

I like that area.  So pretty.  We are a two hotel room family, too.  I would shove us all into one, but dh refuses.

And Aidan + Anai blankets! I get those 3 things for every new mom.

I've never heard of any of those things, and I don't know that brand.  I'm officially too old to have a clue.

• Like 4

Now they both have fevers. Little dd is 102.1 and little ds is 102.3. They have been given 10ml of children's ibuprofen @ 6:15 p.m. They are now eating. Dd is having chicken flavored ramen noodles, and ds is having chicken noodle soup with Ritz crackers. They are also drinking sprite which is a treat since they usually don't have soft drinks. :)

It is going to be a long night, but at least I will know when their last dose of medicine was. I will probably have to alternate with Tylenol at about 8 p.m. if the fevers haven't subsided some.

Hope the fevers come down soon. Hugs.

• Like 1

I like that area. So pretty. We are a two hotel room family, too. I would shove us all into one, but dh refuses.

I've never heard of any of those things, and I don't know that brand. I'm officially too old to have a clue.

A wubanub is a pacifier attached to a beanie baby. They can grab them at a younger age and find them more soothing than pacifiers alone.

An itzbeen timer has 4 buttons you press. 1. ZZZ for when they wake up/go down so you know how long it's been since they've slept/been sleeping, 2.(pic of bottle) so you know how long since they've eaten, 3. (pic of diaper) because... well, anyway, 4. * for whatever, which I used for medication once because she needed it every 4 hours. The timers simply keep counting until reset. I was depressed and not thinking clearly so when she cried I would look at the timer, realize she hadn't eaten in 3 days and feed her instead of wondering why she was crying.

Aidan + Anai muslin blankets are swaddling blankets made by hunters who capture and skin angels. Actually they're an Australian thing, but if you had them you'd believe me. They're 44"×44", stretchy, and THEY DON'T OVERHEAT THE BABY. It's like they can't. If you lived close I would bring one over to show you. They are that awesome.

• Like 3

People keep asking me what the doctor said about ds15's sprained ankle. Do people commonly go to the doctor for sprained ankles? I've had two in the past year and did not go to the doctor because they can't do a thing to help you unless it is broken, and then you get a cast.

It might not be a sprain. People walk around with broken bones all the time they think is a sprain.

• Like 2

A wubanub is a pacifier attached to a beanie baby. They can grab them at a younger age and find them more soothing than pacifiers alone.

An itzbeen timer has 4 buttons you press. 1. ZZZ for when they wake up/go down so you know how long it's been since they've slept/been sleeping, 2.(pic of bottle) so you know how long since they've eaten, 3. (pic of diaper) because... well, anyway, 4. * for whatever, which I used for medication once because she needed it every 4 hours. The timers simply keep counting until reset. I was depressed and not thinking clearly so when she cried I would look at the timer, realize she hadn't eaten in 3 days and feed her instead of wondering why she was crying.

Aidan + Anai muslin blankets are swaddling blankets made by hunters who capture and skin angels. Actually they're an Australian thing, but if you had them you'd believe me. They're 44"×44", streatchy, and THEY DON'T OVERHEAT THE BABY. It's like they can't. If you lived close I would bring one over to show you. They are that awesome.

This is horrifying, and I really need to see this in person.

I could have used a wubanub.  I didn't have any use for an itzbeen because I stuck a boob in their mouths (babies #2-4 anyway) 24/7 and changed them when the pamper was squishy from the front outside the clothes.  A stretchy blanky sounds helpful.  Little dd was in casts and shoes on a bar most of her time the first year of her life so she lived in sleep sacks.  I liked Halo ones.  

Back in my day we had to put the baby in a papoose, wear it on our backs, and get right back to plucking in the rice fields. :lol:

• Like 3

This is horrifying, and I really need to see this in person.

I could have used a wubanub. I didn't have any use for an itzbeen because I stuck a boob in their mouths (babies #2-4 anyway) 24/7 and changed them when the pamper was squishy from the front outside the clothes. A stretchy blanky sounds helpful. Little dd was in casts and shoes on a bar most of her time the first year of her life so she lived in sleep sacks. I liked Halo ones.

Back in my day we had to put the baby in a papoose, wear it on our backs, and get right back to plucking in the rice fields. :lol:

I used the diaper one to keep track of bowel movements because she was under weight.

Doing a quick drive by.

Tex, I have been thinking of you. So many, many hugs.

Lynn, good job on the return.

Dawn, sorry about the small fry. That is sucky.

Slache, so sorry you are feeling so lousy. I wish you no more pukies.

Taking kids to the Museum of Science and Industry tomorrow, so I must rest tonight.

ITT RULES!!

• Like 6

Not true. Depends on the break. My HS boyfriend did the SATs with a broken hand. Many people walk around on broken ankles. It's a big deal.

I do not think he would walk normally with a broken bone five days post-injury.  I don't doubt that someone, somewhere had that happen.

I've had probably 10-12 moderately severe ankle sprains in my life, and I have been to the doctor about one of them.  I was in college so it was free to go to the health center .  I have a bad left ankle.

I used the diaper one to keep track of bowel movements because she was under weight.

I just wrote in on a piece of paper - it was probably papyrus.  None of my babies were underweight, though I had some sleepy ones who needed waking up to eat, and ds15 was slightly jaundiced so I had to pump him full of breastmilk to process it out.

ETA:  Booya(h)!!!  And Susan's song. 

This booya(h) is dedicated to all the old mothers who had to make it work without fancy gadgets.

• Like 10

I do not think he would walk normally with a broken bone five days post-injury. I don't doubt that someone, somewhere had that happen.

I've had probably 10-12 moderately severe ankle sprains in my life, and I have been to the doctor about one of them. I was in college so it was free to go to the health center . I have a bad left ankle.

Probably because you broke it at one point and didn't go to the doctor.