Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Wait, what? Some kids aren't on summer break yet?

I know, right?  Maybe year-round school system?

Nice!  It's a Puzzlement School System Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends  

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends

Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps

But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in

That what seems a little nuts might actually save me

From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I have the quiche lorraine filling all ready to go for the morning.  It's my oldest's birthday tomorrow - 28 years old!  We bought a Carvel ice cream cake and then I remembered that I don't like them.  I should have had dd14 make a cake. Oh well.

Pup has been thoroughly bathed and groomed.  We had a pretty severe thunderstorm blow through earlier.  Some big branches blew down and they had fire trucks and police SUV's blocking a bunch of roads on my way to pick up Chester.  Probably downed power lines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Junie said:

Wait, what? Some kids aren't on summer break yet?

Some finished up this week.    It's not uncommon around here.    It's only been in the past year or two that I've heard of any local schools starting before Labor Day.  Most start after.  So with the late Labor Days the past couple years, end of year ends up being late June.    Last day of school often falls (and did for me 40 years ago and dd 15 years ago) around June 25/26th. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I know, right?  Maybe year-round school system?

Nice!  It's a Puzzlement School System Booyah!

I don't know of any districts that do year-round around here.

Just late starts (last week of August or after Labor Day), snow days built in, Winter/Holiday Break and Mid-Winter Break in February and Spring Break in March/April plus different religious and/or ethnic holidays depending on the local population and school runs long.  

• Like 3

I'm only here for a minute. I have no brain to keep up with y'all; my new endo (soon to be my ex-endo) cut my thyroid meds by 2/3, and now I'm a walking dictionary entry of "hypthyroid." Brain fog, fatigue, depression. I can hardly get out of bed daily, and I just haven't been able to keep up with you.

On the up side, I went in to see my primary care physician; I looked so pitiful that he offered to increase my thyroid meds despite the endo, bless his heart, so I may be out of this in a few weeks (you can't jump right up to the final big dose; you have to work your way up in increments, every 10 days to 2 weeks; today I started increment #2). I expect at least one more, maybe 2).

That is all.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Ellie said:

I'm only here for a minute. I have no brain to keep up with y'all; my new endo (soon to be my ex-endo) cut my thyroid meds by 2/3, and now I'm a walking dictionary entry of "hypthyroid." Brain fog, fatigue, depression. I can hardly get out of bed daily, and I just haven't been able to keep up with you.

On the up side, I went in to see my primary care physician; I looked so pitiful that he offered to increase my thyroid meds despite the endo, bless his heart, so I may be out of this in a few weeks (you can't jump right up to the final big dose; you have to work your way up in increments, every 10 days to 2 weeks; today I started increment #2). I expect at least one more, maybe 2).

That is all.

(((Ellie)))  so glad your PCP has a bit of sense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

Today my oldest is 28.  Imma go get the quiche crusts ready for Birthday Breakfast.  We don't have any major plans today except to go out for dinner, but tomorrow we are going to see the new Spiderman movie.  I have to go to the library and get my library card renewed - today is the deadline.

Also, dd14 and I decided we would try making a lemon poppyseed pound cake with lemon glaze and raspberry sauce.

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I have to go to the library and get my library card renewed - today is the deadline.

Wow. Our library cards don't expire. DS's still has his name in his little 6yo-writing-on-plastic handwriting.

Anyway, happy Friday to all. 2023 is half over today.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday!!

The plumber is coming today!!

The plumber is coming today!!

Stuff to do.

Tonight our town is doing a food truck/fireworks type of event, so I guess we will go to that. We never get involved in things our town puts on, but the girls want to go.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Our library cards don't expire but they check your address every year or so to make sure you still live there.   That may only be my situation because I don't have a library branch in my town so have to go through the main country branch to get a card, or right now I have one in the town my business is located in.  I had to show them a utility bill with an address in the town.   So I may have a special type of card, I'm not sure.

Happy Friday!  Last day of camp and then I'm off until August.   

I think our first summer field trip is going to be to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  

• Like 3

Ugh. I have been awake from over an hour since just after five am. I DO NOT get up at five am. But I’m wrestling with a camp issue that has been simmering for over a year. A difference in opinion on the purpose of camp between me and my chairman of the board. I have been trying to thread the needle and placate everyone but I don’t think that it’s going to work. I think that it’s a line in the sand issue for me.  I hate this. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

(((Ellie)))  so glad your PCP has a bit of sense.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed, as he does NOT understand Hashimoto's and why we don't treat TSH but Free T3 and Free T4 instead, and he'd never heard of Reverse T3 and refuses to test that. But he really rose to the occasion when it was necessary. ::loud applause::

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 73349 said:

Wow. Our library cards don't expire. DS's still has his name in his little 6yo-writing-on-plastic handwriting.

Anyway, happy Friday to all. 2023 is half over today.

We have to go to a library branch in person to verify our address and stuff.  Every two years, I think, so it's not terrible.  I didn't have to do this when I lived in The Big City.

FWIW, the NY Times Quiche Lorraine recipe is excellent.  I sautéed some fresh spinach with the onion and did not pre-bake the crusts. 

INGREDIENTS
Pastry for a one-crust 9-inch pie
4 strips bacon
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 cup Gruyère or Swiss cheese, cubed
1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups heavy cream or 1 cup each milk and cream
1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg    
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper   
Tabasco sauce to taste  

Step 1   
preheat oven to 400 degrees.   
Step 2
Line a nine-inch pie plate with the pastry. By all means build a rim with the pastry and flute it. This is essential for the amount of custard indicated in this recipe.
Step 3
Cover the bottom of the pastry with a round of parchment paper and add enough dried beans or peas to partly fill the shell. Bake 10 minutes.
Step 4
Reduce the oven heat to 375 degrees. Remove and discard the beans and parchment paper and set the pastry-lined pie plate aside.
Step 5
Cook the bacon until crisp and remove it from skillet. Pour off all but one tablespoon of the fat remaining in the skillet. Cook the onion in the remaining fat until the onion is transparent.
Step 6
Combine the eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce.
Step 7
Crumble the bacon and sprinkle the bacon, onion and cheeses over the inside of the partly baked pastry. Strain the cream mixture over the onion- cheese mixture. Slide the pie onto a baking sheet.
Step 8
Bake the pie until a knife inserted one inch from the pastry edge comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Let stand 5 or 10 minutes before serving.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Nobody is doing anything outside today.  The sun is shining bright and it's 94*.  The humidity isn't too bad, though, which helps.  It supposed to cool down a bit next week which will be nice for the girls at scout camp.

Last summer dd14 had to go to the medical station twice for heat exhaustion and heat rash.  She is going to work harder on preventative measures this time.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

Still staying off my foot because of the steroid injections, plus our air quality isn't great for my asthma.  I have a feeling I'm not doing much today except visiting with our lovely houseguest. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!

Things went a bit haywire last night as our power was off for a bit. An hour the first time.  Then annoying blinking off and on, and then off for 3 hours.  Finally came back on for good a bit after 1 and I got to sleep. 

Dd20 works this morning and then we are going to the Spiderman matinee. 

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Saturday!!

Everyone went hiking this morning except me. Not everyone had been planning to, so I didn’t plan to, and then, at the last minute, the stragglers changed their mind. So…. I have the day to myself.  Not gonna complain about that.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Morning, Happy Saturday.

I'm going to be super lazy today.   The air quality is bad enough for me to feel it.  Plus not super hot but extra sticky outside.    

I do have all next week off so even the few things I need to get done before the next camp, I have plenty of time to do them.   And it's really not much, just putting away things that were exclusive to the camp theme we just finished, make sure all the stuff needed for the next camp are pulled out, a little cleaning/organizing (which is eternal).  

• Like 4

I copied and pasted this from the July Goals thread out in the Sea.  I thought that I would share it with you since you've been along for the journey of my clearing the fence of the Giant Gravel Pile of Doom: 

Today I came up with a new goal. I don’t like to put time limits on goals though so I hope to get it done this year or next. So I have been working on freeing a fence section from a gravel pile that was pushing it down. It is finally free enough that I can see plainly that the fence section is irreparably bowed. Dh was talking about replacing it and I told him that I would like to do it myself. I will need step by step instructions but I am excited about learning new skills. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!

The Olders have gone to church to work / play for services.  I am driving the youngers and some of their fellow scouts and gear to summer camp in a little while.  I have to remember to get gas in the van.  It's just an hour drive to get there, and possibly a long, slow crawl to get to the place to drop them off, and then the drive home.  The girls are super excited.  They puffy heart love camp.

Coffee!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Sunday!!!

Church!!

Hot!!🥵☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️

We watched “Dead Poets Society” last night for our Summer Family Film Festival offering. That was such a good movie. Oldest DD really liked it.

• Like 3

Useless trivia:

The harpist playing on the soundtrack of Dead Poets Society is Sylvia Woods, who has been a teacher and promoter of folk harp playing for, oh, a whole lotta years.  She is from CA but now lives in Hawaii.  She wrote Teach Yourself to Play The Folk Harp, which was my first book and eventually I learned the harp theme from the movie.  It's so beautiful!

The story was based on a real teacher and prestigious boys school - Montgomery Bell Academy in The Big City.  I've been there several times and it's a beautiful place.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Whelp, the girls and their gear have been safely deposited at camp.  There were 4 parents driving in addition to me so I was very surprised when everyone piled into the van.  The oldest, slowest, and least comfortable vehicle, lol.  But it was a fun ride with 10 excited girls playing the alphabet game and Mad Libs.     

Now I'm home and have filled the grackle feeder.  A squirrel is on the grackle feeder and a grackle is on the Little Bird feeder.  I suppose I should refill the squirrel feeder.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Now I'm home and have filled the grackle feeder.  A squirrel is on the grackle feeder and a grackle is on the Little Bird feeder.  I suppose I should refill the squirrel feeder.

Book 2 in the “Adventures in Susan’s Backyard Series”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Useless trivia:

The harpist playing on the soundtrack of Dead Poets Society is Sylvia Woods, who has been a teacher and promoter of folk harp playing for, oh, a whole lotta years.  She is from CA but now lives in Hawaii.  She wrote Teach Yourself to Play The Folk Harp, which was my first book and eventually I learned the harp theme from the movie.  It's so beautiful!

The story was based on a real teacher and prestigious boys school - Montgomery Bell Academy in The Big City.  I've been there several times and it's a beautiful place.

I thought it was based off ( or maybe it wad filmed at) st Andrew's school for boys. I knew a boy that went there. He was the son of a priest which confused me until he explained Episcopalian not catholic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dianthus said:

I thought it was based off ( or maybe it wad filmed at) st Andrew's school for boys. I knew a boy that went there. He was the son of a priest which confused me until he explained Episcopalian not catholic.

I think it was filmed at St. Andrews.

• Like 1