• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

So, what counts as being in a state? Does driving through count? Or do you have to stay at least one night? Or it be your actual destination?

I count anything that feels like an experience.  So no airport,  no drive through without stopping.  I suppose I would count a drive through if you were deliberately sightseeing by car. I've never done that. For me it's always been doing several things in that state or "We were in Delaware?" 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Junie said:

So, what counts as being in a state? Does driving through count? Or do you have to stay at least one night? Or it be your actual destination?

I count everything. Airplane layovers... everything. Getting out of California is next to impossible, so I take everything I can get.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

You can drive for two days and still be in California. When we were on our East Coast trip we were crossing state lines all the time.

If you are at the top of Trxas there is a six mile difference between driving to Canada and driving to Mexico. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

To be fair, Delaware is basically an 11 mile drive between New Jersey/Pennsylvania and Maryland.  It's pretty easy to miss completely.  

When we say Carolina, do we mean North Carolina or South Carolina?  As opposed to saying the Carolinas, where we mean both?

I'm not sure how many states I've been in.  All the ones from Maine to Florida on the East Coast (I guess I should write them out if I want to count:  Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida) Pennsylvania, Texas, California, Michigan, Illinois, Louisiana, West Virginia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Ohio.  That may be it.   22 states. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

To be fair, Delaware is basically an 11 mile drive between New Jersey/Pennsylvania and Maryland.  It's pretty easy to miss completely.  

When we say Carolina, do we mean North Carolina or South Carolina?  As opposed to saying the Carolinas, where we mean both?

I'm not sure how many states I've been in.  All the ones from Maine to Florida on the East Coast (I guess I should write them out if I want to count:  Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida) Pennsylvania, Texas, California, Michigan, Illinois, Louisiana, West Virginia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Ohio.  That may be it.   22 states. 

Ask James Taylor about "Carolina". 

I've driven across the US a number of times as a child.  I'm sure that we stopped at various places.  But I have very little memory.  My only memory (from when I was 3) was stopping at a Navaho souvenir stand and begging my mom to buy me a Native American dolly.  I immediately took off the clothes and my mom was upset to see "Made in China" stamped on the doll's body!  (The latter part I probably don't actually remember but my mom told the story often enough.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Weeded for 40 minutes. Got the last retaining wall swoosh done. This swoosh was hard. I had to dig Xena deep to force myself to finish. Ironically it has the fewest weeds but the weeds it has were the hardest to remove. Plus, I think that today is muggier. (Which is nothing compared to the Midwest, but I don’t do muggy well.).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 3:41 PM, luuknam said:

Failing to ignore this thread, yet again.

Hey girl!  It the best kind of failure!

On 6/2/2023 at 7:36 AM, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday!!

Work!!

I can’t believe it’s June. Well, yesterday started June, but still….

I have to say, parenting has really sucked the last several months. #Isaidsucks.  Whoever said, “Little kids, little problems; big kids, big problems” really knew what they were talking about. I’m sorry I’m being cryptic, but this is a public forum. It’s just….you think you raise your kids right and then they go off and do stupid things.

(((Krissi)))  yep.

On 6/5/2023 at 12:18 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have never been to Carolina.

It's nice there.  I've now been in both Carolinas, because I include airports.

4 hours ago, Slache said:

I thought this said cows. So confused. 

Same here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good evening!

Is it Tuesday?  My brain is still on "Island Time".  So many wonderful things about our trip, some of which I will share and will probably not mean much out of context, but that's part of the ITT burden, lol.

My back and arm and butt and neck and shoulder muscles are still sore from yesterday's paddle back to base camp. The winds and currents were unexpectedly  against us the whole way but we dug in and made it back.

Here are the girls at the first sunset on the island.

(I said butt)

IMG_0395.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Coolest thing all week:

Several of us had the Extremely Rare opportunity to witness a loggerhead sea turtle lay eggs on the beach.  It was the middle of the night and I happened to be awake because of leg cramp and I heard someone running up and down the beach yelling "turtle on the beach! turtle on the beach! Backyard campsite one!"  

My tentmate woke up and it took me half a minute to figure out why that guy was yelling about turtles (just the week before another sea turtle laid eggs on the beach right next to our campsite which was blocked off with caution tape) and so we got our shoes on (already had clothes on) and managed to find our way along the paths to the campsite (yay for full moon) and there she was!  

Shortly after we got there she started flopping her feet to cover the eggs with sand and gradually made her way back to the Atlantic.  It was amazing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

My grandmother's church burned down. 😕 It's where she grew up, where she raised her daughters, and where I was christened. She's sad. From what the news article said, they might not rebuild--they've already been sharing a pastor with a neighboring church. The congregation was founded in 1743.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 6

Morning, Happy Humph Day.

We are getting a ton of smoke from the Canadian wildfires (and maybe one more local one and one in PA).  The air is smokey, it smells like something is burning, and the sun looks more like the moon in the sky except neon orange.   

I have asthma so this is super fun.   

And I still don't have air conditioning at work so that will be fun too.   Fans and air purifiers will hopefully be enough to keep the air quality okay inside.  

• Sad 5

Struggling to make an appointment (for dd18 who goes to college out of state):

1. no openings until September

2. no openings until the end of August

3. we need paperwork from previous doctors first

4. oh, this is a location in a city an hour plus away

5. no openings until October

• Sad 2

Just now, Junie said:

Struggling to make an appointment (for dd18 who goes to college out of state):

1. no openings until September

2. no openings until the end of August

3. we need paperwork from previous doctors first

4. oh, this is a location in a city an hour plus away

5. no openings until October

Can she get an appointment near the college? Maybe your insurance company could help.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 73349 said:

Can she get an appointment near the college? Maybe your insurance company could help.

She doesn't have a vehicle.

Dd16 has the same (long term) problem that we are trying to find treatment for, so I may just have to find a doctor for dd16 first and then try to take dd18 at Christmas.

• Like 3

Good Evening!

What the carp!  I must still be on Island Time!

(((Junie)))  That stinks.    

So my toilet is still dripping water onto the floor.  I noticed it just before we left last week and was hoping it would just go away.  Alas.  However, unlike making a dr. appt, I found a plumber who will be here tomorrow morning.

I was able to go to string quartet today.  We read through a Mozart to warm up, then made our way through Debussy, and ended with Haydn.

Shark Tales from the Island: Dd16 caught a lemon shark, but it was let go.  For catch and release fishing, the BSA uses special fish hooks that dissolve in 3 to 4 days.  Later we swam and snorkeled at Looe Key coral reef and there were sharks there but they ignored us, and then when dd16 was in the water cleaning the fish-cleaning table some sharks came around to check out the delicious fish-gut smells, but did not bite anyone.    

Coffee!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!

The plumber is supposed to come this morning.  I need to make a couple of phone calls - we'll see if I feel up to it.  Today would have been late dh's and my 32nd anniversary.  

Interesting facts about Key Deer: they are very friendly and comfortable around people.  They are good swimmers.  Their main predators are sharks and Honda Civics.  They love love love to drink bleach.  Their name is Steve.

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2