• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Sooo....the largest fire is at over 200,000 acres, and they're pretty much letting it burn. I mean, they are putting water and retardant on the ground, but to prevent spread and not to put out the fire. There are a lot of rural villages and communities out that way, and over 30,000-50,000 people displaced right now. It's jumped a couple of roads, that were evacuation routes. The 2nd largest fire, that strategy isn't working. There is a lot of sacred land belonging to ... I think... 5 Native American pueblos, and that policy of "let it burn" is unacceptable to those communities. Well, it's not acceptable anywhere, considering so many displaced families and burned houses.

• Sad 7

58 minutes ago, Renai said:

Sooo....the largest fire is at over 200,000 acres, and they're pretty much letting it burn. I mean, they are putting water and retardant on the ground, but to prevent spread and not to put out the fire. There are a lot of rural villages and communities out that way, and over 30,000-50,000 people displaced right now. It's jumped a couple of roads, that were evacuation routes. The 2nd largest fire, that strategy isn't working. There is a lot of sacred land belonging to ... I think... 5 Native American pueblos, and that policy of "let it burn" is unacceptable to those communities. Well, it's not acceptable anywhere, considering so many displaced families and burned houses.

That sounds horrible. Fire season is coming here. We did have a late rain storm, so I think it’s delayed a bit, but it’s coming.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Taking some birthday presents to UPS today, to be wrapped and sent off to the Left Coast. I would wrap and mail them myself, except one of them is odd-shaped and will need a bespoke box. And then I don't have to think about mailing gifts until November. Woohoo!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The opera house will have Family Nights again this summer with discounted tickets (still expensive!), and I told Gymnast we can probably attend two of them: one in July, one in August. 

What do you know of these? I will do my own research, of course, eventually. Or, I may just take your word for it...

July: "The Barber of Seville," or "Carmen"

August: "Falstaff," or "Tristan und Isolde," or "M. Butterfly"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renai said:

The opera house will have Family Nights again this summer with discounted tickets (still expensive!), and I told Gymnast we can probably attend two of them: one in July, one in August. 

What do you know of these? I will do my own research, of course, eventually. Or, I may just take your word for it...

July: "The Barber of Seville," or "Carmen"

August: "Falstaff," or "Tristan und Isolde," or "M. Butterfly"

I have a soft spot for Carmen.  It was my first opera and I was mesmerized.  (It was also being conducted by Seiji Ozawa and he's amazing.)  I don't know if you care, but Carmen is a prostitute.

I also have a soft spot for Madame Butterfly.  She also was a prostitute / concubine.

I'm not sure what this says about me. . . .  

• Haha 4

Swimming a few laps can do wonders for anxiety levels.  In other news, we have been looking for a counselor/therapist for months and finally may have a lead on someone who might be willing to take on a new client.  I'm not getting my hopes up.  That's not true.  Hope springs eternal.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ellie said:

Taking some birthday presents to UPS today, to be wrapped and sent off to the Left Coast. I would wrap and mail them myself, except one of them is odd-shaped and will need a bespoke box. And then I don't have to think about mailing gifts until November. Woohoo!

DONE!!! I'd love a nap, but a friend is coming over, so I have to stay pantzed and awake for at least the next two hours. **heavy sigh** Also, I'm doing a Zoom meeting tonight, so I have to at least keep my upper parts clothed. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Slache said:

4th.

We never made it to book 4. We are in the middle of book 3 now and I am hybridizing it with History Odyssey.  So we read, but the girls also outline Kingfisher and HO has some neat analysis type activities I like.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have a soft spot for Carmen.  It was my first opera and I was mesmerized.  (It was also being conducted by Seiji Ozawa and he's amazing.)  I don't know if you care, but Carmen is a prostitute.

I also have a soft spot for Madame Butterfly.  She also was a prostitute / concubine.

I'm not sure what this says about me. . . .  

Well, Rahab was also a prostitute, and Gymnast participated in a play about her, so... what does that say about me? 😂

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I vote Barber of Seville because Bugs Bunny.  Or Tristan & Isolde, I suppose, because also Bugs Bunny, though I hate Wagner.

#bugsbunny    
#thatsalligot

Oh, yeah, Bugs. Hmmm. I guess I should listen to Tristan & Isolde because I have no idea who or what that is off the top of my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

SOTW has been long. I look forward to doing geography next year.

Yeah, I got the book from the library, and promptly waited for the audio version. I knew we wouldn't have the time (or maybe even inclination) to get through it...

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ellie said:

DONE!!! I'd love a nap, but a friend is coming over, so I have to stay pantzed and awake for at least the next two hours. **heavy sigh** Also, I'm doing a Zoom meeting tonight, so I have to at least keep my upper parts clothed. 🙂

See, if I was coming over we would both be in PJs.

2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We never made it to book 4. We are in the middle of book 3 now and I am hybridizing it with History Odyssey.  So we read, but the girls also outline Kingfisher and HO has some neat analysis type activities I like.

We read SOTW and then we do the mapping and narration and then we read SOTW and then we do the mapping and narration and then we read SOTW and then we do the mapping and narration and then we read SOTW and then we do the mapping and narration...

The kids like it it least.

1 minute ago, Renai said:

Well, Rahab was also a prostitute, and Gymnast participated in a play about her, so... what does that say about me? 😂

So unchristian!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slache said:

So unchristian!

I tell my friend who is very much interested in why I believe what I believe even after some of the trials this life has thrown my way that the Bible is so much better than any of the literal thousands of books on her kindle or bookshelf. It has everything in it! Then I pull out my Bible and read some jaw-dropping story to her and we discuss it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

See, if I was coming over we would both be in PJs.

We read SOTW and then we do the mapping and narration and then we read SOTW and then we do the mapping and narration and then we read SOTW and then we do the mapping and narration and then we read SOTW and then we do the mapping and narration...

The kids like it it least.

So unchristian!

😁🙄

16 minutes ago, Slache said:

It took 3 years to do all 4.

It would take us 6. I have enough to read, with my dyslexic daughter just taking off being more independent, and still have classes morning, afternoon, and evening to teach or tutor. Nah. We got through most of it in the car the past month. Only have a couple more discs to go for SOTW 1. We'd be finished if we hadn't brought them in the house to listen to...

• Haha 2

Turns out that today is Wednesday, not Thursday, so I don't have to stay pantzed all evening. Tomorrow (which, as you'll deduce, actually is Thursday) is when I have the Zoom meeting and so have to stay presentable after 7 p.m. As of right now, I'm in my comfy lounging clothes, ready to go watch something with dinosaurs or otherwise big guns and mayhem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

SOTW- The only way we got through it was DD and DS 16 read it to themselves. We did narration, map, drawing, color the card. DD and I did Vols. 1-2 in a year then took a year to recover before doing Vol 3. Vol. 4 is slated for this year, if I get around to ordering it.

The first time I tried was my first year homeschooling. I have since learned it is better to wait until 9-10 before trying history. Before then, they just did not have an interest.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ellie said:

You are welcome to visit and stay at my house any time. 🙂

@Servant4Christ She's not joking.

14 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

SOTW- The only way we got through it was DD and DS 16 read it to themselves. We did narration, map, drawing, color the card. DD and I did Vols. 1-2 in a year then took a year to recover before doing Vol 3. Vol. 4 is slated for this year, if I get around to ordering it.

The first time I tried was my first year homeschooling. I have since learned it is better to wait until 9-10 before trying history. Before then, they just did not have an interest.

Feeling like it's a slog makes me wonder if my plan of doing HOTW is akin to child abuse. He loves the free sample and wants to start now and it's only 3X a week, but it's 3X a week FOR SIX YEARS. That might be child abuse. I'm not sure.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

EdPoing: Once again, I wish there was a home study guide for K12’s Human Odyssey series. It’s a great series, but I never know what to do with it.

Yeah, Slache, I’m looking at the sample now. I don’t know. I see bits of things I like, but it’s pretty deep. Susan writes a great book, that is for sure! Have you looked at the CLE middle grade books? 

• Like 1

Since my gift book excel file is hiding in who knows what back-up thumbdrive somewhere in the house, I recreated it from a couple of old photos and inscription notes from my phone.  It's all rainbow colored and beautiful again.  Now I feel like I can get to work figuring out and ordering end-of-year gift books. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

EdPoing: Once again, I wish there was a home study guide for K12’s Human Odyssey series. It’s a great series, but I never know what to do with it.

Yeah, Slache, I’m looking at the sample now. I don’t know. I see bits of things I like, but it’s pretty deep. Susan writes a great book, that is for sure! Have you looked at the CLE middle grade books? 

But I WANT to do it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1