Menu

Ignore this thread!

We are all struggling with the fact that today is NOT Saturday.  And now we are distracted by a thunderstorm that is blowing through. We at least got storytime and W&R done.  The girls need to do their Uncle Sam and then we'll practice quartet music and maybe tonight after dinner we will go to the rec center.

It's a NOT Saturday Booyah!

ITT presents: Math'n'Grammarville

*All Rights Reserved*  

Except for those to the tune and original lyrics, which are obviously held by Jimmy Buffet or whatever company it is that owns him, LOL.

Livin' on twaddle,

I was happy to dawdle,

Until Mom told me my work must be done.

Now here it is sunset, 

And she won't let me drop it,

I'll be here all night and I never had fun!

Refrain:

Wasting away again in Math‘n’Grammarville
Hoping that there's a whole hour of art
Some people say that there is knowledge to gain
But I know, of it I want no part

It sure isn't pleasin',

All this logic and reason,

Gettin' shoved down my throat with these dusty old books!

When I could be skatin'

Building forts and be playin'

So I'm giving my teacher these disgusted looks! 

Refrain:

But you can’t force me to take part!

I've stalled and I've grumbled

Dropped my pencil and fumbled

Lost my place and my temper and spilled all the glue,

But Mom isn't buying,

All these tricks that I'm trying,

And I'll just have it all tomorrow to do.

Refrain:

And so I must play the part  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't know which way to react here. Yay for good blood sugar levels. Sad for lousy sleep. Cry for possibly 26 more days of lousy sleep. Yay for knowing that better days are coming.

4 reactions X 1 post = 🙃

Ain’t nobody got time for tears. What I need is some “you can do its”.  Good blood sugars are good for me even if I still don’t lose weight (though of course I am hoping that I will lose weight too). I really like my meals. I just find myself wanting to sabotage myself by adding chocolate etc even though my body has had enough fuel. (I do have two squares of dark chocolate per day so I am not completely deprived). 

And as for getting used to this, I went through this before when I first lowered my sugars from a much higher level. It might not even take as long as a month this time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My kids (5 and almost 4) want to do school on Saturdays. I'm the one who's like "do I have to...". Also, my eldest is weirdly afraid of being sent to a B&M school. Now that I think of it maybe it's because his B&M school friends celebrate the weekend because they don't have school and he totally doesn't understand because he's over there wanting school 7 days a week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Clarita said:

My kids (5 and almost 4) want to do school on Saturdays. I'm the one who's like "do I have to...". Also, my eldest is weirdly afraid of being sent to a B&M school. Now that I think of it maybe it's because his B&M school friends celebrate the weekend because they don't have school and he totally doesn't understand because he's over there wanting school 7 days a week.

My kids were the same. Especially the fear of B&M school.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Slache said:

Now they like having Saturdays off.

It probably changes too because it's more work as they get older and more information. I could imagine kids need the processing time and break from the amount of information they take in each week. 

I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything super exciting over here just mostly flipping to the next page.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Clarita said:

It probably changes too because it's more work as they get older and more information. I could imagine kids need the processing time and break from the amount of information they take in each week. 

I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything super exciting over here just mostly flipping to the next page.

Also, the things they learn transfer to skills they'd rather practice on their own. I have a writer and a painter and they'd prefer to not follow curriculum all of the time. They acknowledge that curriculum got them where they are and don't complain, but sometimes you just want to paint the tree you want to paint and you wanna do it your way and you don't want a durn lesson attached to it!

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Neither you nor I are 65 years old. 

Gug!

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Wait.  I read that wrong.  36 years old.  Maybe you are that old.  Oops. 

Yay! I win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Slache said:

San ju roku sai.

I hate romanji.

It's so unnatural - that romanji stuff. Just like pinyin for simplified Chinese. 

That sentence is similar to the Chinese version: (Wo) San shi liu sui. [ (I) 3 10 6 age.]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Renai, what's going on in your massive state bonfires?

I saw that one fire is pretty close to the Philmont Scout Ranch where dd15 and I were last summer and ds17 is supposed to go in July.

It's closer to the Cook's Peak fire, which is practically contained. https://nmfireinfo.com/2022/05/05/colfax-county-evacuation-update-for-cooks-peak-fire-5-5-22-at-5pm/

• Like 3

Edpo. Updates to yearly curriculum threads:

FAMILY
Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, Training Hearts; Teaching Minds
History: Our 50 States
Science: Apologia Earth Science and Botany Science In The Beginning
Arts: Artistic Pursuits ES-B2

DS11
Math: Saxon 7/6
LA: WWS 1, TTC, VFCR A Cover Story, Our Mother Tongue
FL: Hey Andrew 6, KGWL, ULAT Spanish, Minna no Nihongo (this isn't my fault, I'm not a bad mom)
Bible: One Year Bible
History: Uncle Sam & You
Science: Tiner Biographies Apologia Earth Science and Botany
Arts: Piano, Violin

DD9
Math: Beast Academy Online, XtraMath
LA: IEW, RLTL
FL: Hey Andrew 4, Spanish For Children A, Japanese From Zero
Bible: One Year Bible
Arts: Piano, Violin

DS6
Bible: What's In The Bible?
Math: Ray's Primary
LA: RLTL, HLTL
FL: Hey Andrew 1
Arts: Home Art Studio

• Like 2

Oh! Another edpo. I spaced out lessons for next year and there are like 8 empty days of one curriculum and 6 of another, etc., so I'm giving coupons for "No Math Today" for however many empty days there are. Has anyone done this?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Pretty much the only place where I use romaji is in language study. I have to think harder to convert the sounds to romaji since I have to spell out each syllable. 

Yes. And I'm dyslexic in Romanji but not Kana.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Pretty much the only place where I use romaji is in language study. I have to think harder to convert the sounds to romaji since I have to spell out each syllable. 

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Yes. And I'm dyslexic in Romanji but not Kana.

Is it necessary for texting, or on the computer? Pinyin is taught in Chinese schools because of this, but after they've been taught a few hundred hanzi (like kanji). When I use my pinyin keyboard on the computer and phone, I spell it out, then have to pick the correct character, so character knowledge is still needed. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Renai said:

Is it necessary for texting, or on the computer? Pinyin is taught in Chinese schools because of this, but after they've been taught a few hundred hanzi (like kanji). When I use my pinyin keyboard on the computer and phone, I spell it out, then have to pick the correct character, so character knowledge is still needed. 

I do use it when texting. It converts to hiragana, katakana and kanji but yes, I have to pick out the kanji with the right meaning. The biggest pain is there are a couple of hiragana syllables (especially the superscript ones) which don’t tend to pop up as suggestions. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Mine missed that part of the memo. 

Long story. Edpo. Parentpo. Stuffs.

So, I was really sick for a long time and was letting school slide and that became a habit for the kids. I kept trying to figure out how to get everything done when what I expect of them was an acceptable amount of work, and it became very aggravating when I caught them playing and messing around at 10:00 every day. I finally decided to make my problem their problem by saying you either have to get your work done or you don't get your video games on Saturday. As a result they started getting everything done, but they complained that they don't have as much time to play. I started letting the big two get up at 7:00 instead of 8:00 and work for an hour before the little boys were up and now they get everything done buy 1:00. So now, every Saturday and Sunday they go on and on for hours about how nice it is to sleep in until 8:00. Like their life is so hard!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2