• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

None of my short people are taller than me yet, but I'm very sure they weill eventually. I need to be nice to them now for when that time comes. ;)

Be nice? No, you instill the Fear of Mom into them! My grandma is short and told me that when she had 8, she stood in a chair one day and let them know that no matter how big they (her kids) get, she will always be as big as when she's in that chair. Her kids never crossed her. Grandkids either, for that matter. Or great grandkids, lol!

• Like 7

My shortest short person was taking a bath after having played in a lot mud/dirt. As she watched the black wash off her feet, she sadly told me that she wasn't going to be my color anymore. I let her know that what she had wasn't color, but dirt, and she's beautiful as she is - when clean. She was still sad, as she said she wanted to be my color. She was satisfied when I told her that maybe as she gets older she'll be closer to my color. I hate lying, but she gets obsessed over issues. Like the time she spent days on end crying and lamenting of how she wanted to be married and be a mom but didn't want to leave me. She finally settled down after I told her that she and her husband could live with me. I have a weird kid.

I recall having to tell my oldest that she can live with me as long as she wants.  I tell all the kids that.  I mean it.   :)

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

Be nice? No, you instill the Fear of Mom into them! My grandma is short and told me that when she had 8, she stood in a chair one day and let them know that no matter how big they (her kids) get, she will always be as big as when she's in that chair. Her kids never crossed her. Grandkids either, for that matter. Or great grandkids, lol!

(Actually, I do the fear-thing pretty much, but didn't want to get into a parenting philosophy debate here among my ITT friends.)   :o

• Like 5

We just got home from going to Army Reserves drill with dh.  They were doing a change of command ceremony as he was passing command to a new commander.  They had a dozen roses for me and unit medallions for the kids in thanks to us for his 7+ years as commander.  He spoke, his battalion commander spoke.  And the new commander spoke.  It was very nice.  And then we went to lunch.   :patriot:  

• Like 5

:grouphug:   Oh, Tex, that is awful!  They should not do the lights!  And poor ds!  I'm guessing he's going to need more medication?

Thank you!  I wish they would get rid of the flashing lights, too.  I am waiting a couple of days and then if ds is still not improved after the Zpack has fully kicked in, I will give a call to the doc.  Once, as an adult, I needed prednisone to clear the fluid out of my ears. 

We just got home from going to Army Reserves drill with dh.  They were doing a change of command ceremony as he was passing command to a new commander.  They had a dozen roses for me and unit medallions for the kids in thanks to us for his 7+ years as commander.  He spoke, his battalion commander spoke.  And the new commander spoke.  It was very nice.  And then we went to lunch.   :patriot:  

That is really lovely.   :)

I just posted on the why history over science thread.  After reading a whole bunch of posts defending the amount of science they do, I decided not to even explain what we do for science.  I love history.  I hate science. 

I saw it and thought that your reply sounded super smart.   :D  I like both, but hands on science just never happened.  I am not a hands on mom.  I am a reader.  We joined a co-op so the kids can do hands on science.   

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

Thank you!  I wish they would get rid of the flashing lights, too.  I am waiting a couple of days and then if ds is still not improved after the Zpack has fully kicked in, I will give a call to the doc.  Once, as an adult, I needed prednisone to clear the fluid out of my ears.  I am most concerned about the headache because he has a history of inpatient hospitalization for intractable migraine.  He insists it is not a migraine, but I am concerned about the fact that shows up every single day.  Let us know how ds is over the next couple days.  I am with you in hoping this does not lead to migraine activity!

That is really lovely.   :)  Thanks! 

I saw it and thought that your reply sounded super smart.   :D  Thanks!  I like both, but hands on science just never happened.  I am not a hands on mom.  I am a reader.  We joined a co-op so the kids can do hands on science.   Little dd is in a cool dissection class this semester, and the boys are taking Biology. Amen and Amen.  Hands on science is the best reason for going to co-op, lol.  

• Like 2

When I was growing up my dad was in prison and many things are normal to me that other people would not consider normal. When I was cleaning out the house, washing the walls and switching out the artwork I found some artwork done by one of my dad's friends (read dangerous felon) and hung it up in the kids room. Matt was just looking at it and yelled from the nursery "This guy Willie that drew this picture of the dragon... He killed someone didn't he?" "Yeah." "And you hung it up in our child's bedroom?"  "Yeah." [long pause] "Okay."  :lol:

• Like 5

When I was growing up my dad was in prison and many things are normal to me that other people would not consider normal. When I was cleaning out the house, washing the walls and switching out the artwork I found some artwork done by one of my dad's friend (read dangerous felon) and hung it up in the kids room. Matt was just looking at it and yelled from the nursery "This guy Willie that drew this picture of the dragon... He killed someone didn't he?" "Yeah." "And you hung it up in our child's bedroom?"  "Yeah." [long pause] "Okay."  :lol:

You hung up a felon's picture, not the felon himself, therefore you are absolved of any type of crime.  :lol:  I've worked with plenty of felons (and not just the juvenile kind or the ones in my family), so that type of thing wouldn't bother me either.

• Like 6

You hung up a felon's picture, not the felon himself, therefore you are absolved of any type of crime.  :lol:  I've worked with plenty of felons (and not just the juvenile kind or the ones in my family), so that type of thing wouldn't bother me either.

We were talking about ways to reach out to the community at church and I suggested a prison ministry. Everybody froze and slowly turned around and looked at me. Apparently it was not a good suggestion.

• Like 2

We were talking about ways to reach out to the community at church and I suggested a prison ministry. Everybody froze and slowly turned around and looked at me. Apparently it was not a good suggestion.

Really??? That's one of the ministries our church in Texas has been involved with for years. Years. My mom has been faithful to that ministry every Monday. I've actually considered getting one started at my current church. After I finish my grad program though. I'm actually not sure if they already have one. If so, I want to be involved.

• Like 5

Really??? That's one of the ministries our church in Texas has been involved with for years. Years. My mom has been faithful to that ministry every Monday. I've actually considered getting one started at my current church. After I finish my grad program though. I'm actually not sure if they already have one. If so, I want to be involved.

The people at my church are well off. They aren't used to being uncomfortable. It used to a great church with people that loved the word and shared the Gospel, but all of the mature Christians either moved away or died. Most were very old when I became a Christian (12?) years ago. Since we've moved back we've seen it improve. My husband held a class on evangelism and we now have a ministry night. We almost left. It was bad.

• Like 4

Our church has a prison ministry.  They have a homeless ministry and a food outreach and orphanages in several countries.  My pastor and his wife send money to a young adult woman in India who grew up in one of the orphanages because it is the only way she can attend trade school and have a shot at a decent life.  He's really cool.  He is kind of a missionary at heart, and he does some really cool stuff, the more "out there", the better.

• Like 5

:grouphug: Slache. Do you need some elephant ninjas to come to your house? :toetap05: We've got your back.

No. I need someone to tell me how to teach the first 5 pages of Miquon because someone spent the money I had saved to download the annotations this week. And fix the dishes that were broken because unloading the dishwasher is hard. And explain to me why crossing something off of a list when you decide that you don't want to do it is acceptable. And retrain my husband to take the trash out!

• Like 1

No. I need someone to tell me how to teach the first 5 pages of Miquon because someone spent the money I had saved to download the annotations this week. And fix the dishes that were broken because unloading the dishwasher is hard. And explain to me why crossing something off of a list when you decide that you don't want to do it is acceptable. And retrain my husband to take the trash out!

My dh has yet to be trained to take out the trash. It sits there until he's tired of it (which doesn't take long, thank goodness!), and then he takes it out.

Where can you download the annotations?

• Like 1

My dh has yet to be trained to take out the trash. It sits there until he's tired of it (which doesn't take long, thank goodness!), and then he takes it out.

Where can you download the annotations?

It took me 4 years to train him. I do not take the trash out and I do not pick up after the dog. I'll do anything else.

Currckick. It's $15. I'm getting it Friday. :)

• Like 3

Wow, only 4 years? I've been with mine for 16, and it's still a point of contention. Quiet, passive-aggressive contention, but contention nonetheless. :D

He's not allowed to come to bed until he takes the trash out and gets a shower. If he gets a shower and comes to bed without taking the trash out he gets to get up, get dressed, take *another* shower and then come back to bed. The first 4 years of my marriage were really bad. He didn't respect me or actively love me. Things are much better now, but I had to lay hard rules down or he'd walk all over me back then. Now he treasures me. Because I'm a princess.

One kid takes the trash out.  I will be glad when the other kid is well because I am doing all of his chores, which includes feeding the cats twice a day, cleaning out two cat boxes daily, and emptying the dishwasher.  It has now been two weeks with my extra chores.

A kid just asked for "second dinner".   :huh: I think it's like second breakfast.

I got a spider bite today that appeared to be going bad fast, then it got better.  My dh prayed for it.  I drew a ring around the red part with sharpie.  I sent Jean text pics of it because she loves stuff like that.   :D

One kid just finished his last test for Jann for Algebra 1.  Geometry starts tomorrow. 

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

He's not allowed to come to bed until he takes the trash out and gets a shower. If he gets a shower and comes to bed without taking the trash out he gets to get up, get dressed, take *another* shower and then come back to bed. The first 4 years of my marriage were really bad. He didn't respect me or actively love me. Things are much better now, but I had to lay hard rules down or he'd walk all over me back then. Now he treasures me. Because I'm a princess.

That's pretty hard core. (said with no judgement behind it, btw.)

• Like 1

Egh hem. BOOYA!

That's pretty hard core. (said with no judgement behind it, btw.)

He's all or nothing. I expect very little, but I expect it done well. Same with the kids. I want to read the book Simplicity Parenting. I think it would really resonate with my thinking.
  • Like 5