Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am very frustrated by MIL's schedule. Four of the four weeks off are not full weeks off, but four days off and they go to school on Friday. A kid is not going to learn anything in one day, especially not after 6 days off. Why don't they lose one of their vacation weeks and add the four days to four of the other weeks? This would be better for the kids and for the kids and teachers to plan vacations.

MIL has complained in the past that she only gets partial weeks off but I had never actually looked at it. It is a horrible schedule and looks very inconvenient for everyone involved.

• Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Successfully?

Yes. We change to an 8 o'clock wake up time a few months ago and he wants to go back to 7 because the sun wakes him up at 7 making him cranky. He wants an earlier bedtime to get enough sleep so he can get up when the sun wakes him up.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Oh yeah!  Come to think of it, mine did, too.  Over the first like 6 years, I had either 2 or 4 periods before it completely stopped.

Ok, well, you girls are making me feel better. It is a very “typical” AF. Bloating, cramps, etc. Nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. But of course, I always think, “I’m dying!! Something is wrong with my body, I am dying.” Because..... that’s what I do.?

• Like 3

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

My mother had a surprise period when she was 80. The hardest thing for her was dealing with the radical change in supplies!  

Sometimes I'll tease my dad about wanting a baby brother. He always says that people his age are too old. No they're not!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I found the school holidays. It's very sad. They start in August, have a week of in November, December, January, February, March, April, and school ends in May. The December and January weeks are connected for a 2 week holiday break.

That's a crazy schedule.    Around here a lot of schools start a couple days after Labor Day, get all half days before Thanksgiving (often a conference week), then 23rd of December through January 2nd, then mid-winter break in February around President's Day, then Spring Break in March or April (depending on Easter), out in June.

ETA:  I decided for the sake of keeping things easy to follow, that I'd keep all my classes on the same schedule until we have snow days.  So, if there's a holiday any day of a week, I take off the whole week (maybe run some workshops).  Of course, this was the first week of my new session and we've already had 1 1/2 snow days.  

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Back when my mother waa having “official” periods, they had these garter belt things and all pads were like the ones that they give you postpartum and you pinned the ends to the belt. I am so glad that we don’t still have to do it like that. 

I would love this. Until they invented period panties I was sleeping on a stack of towels, changing hourly and showering at least twice a night. I was searching the internet to see if diapers would work on a menstrual cycle when I found the period panties.

21 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

That's a crazy schedule.    Around here a lot of schools start a couple days after Labor Day, get all half days before Thanksgiving (often a conference week), then 23rd of December through January 2nd, then mid-winter break in February around President's Day, then Spring Break in March or April (depending on Easter), out in June.

ETA:  I decided for the sake of keeping things easy to follow, that I'd keep all my classes on the same schedule until we have snow days.  So, if there's a holiday any day of a week, I take off the whole week (maybe run some workshops).  Of course, this was the first week of my new session and we've already had 1 1/2 snow days.  

Are your kids 100% homeschooled? It doesn't sound like it. I can't imagine working around the public school schedule. Bleh! I won't even do classical conversations! I am very spoiled.

Theoretically we do school every day, taking a week off every 6-8 weeks. Theoretically...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

I would love this. Until they invented period panties I was sleeping on a stack of towels, changing hourly and showering at least twice a night. I was searching the internet to see if diapers would work on a menstrual cycle when I found the period panties.

https://www.medline.com/product/Sanitary-Belts/Z05-PF06260

You can still get them.  But the period panties are so much better.  So much. 

• Like 2

I'm going to sound like an annoying commercial here:

Slache, you should really talk to your doctor.  I have similar issues with my cycle and became anemic to the point of needing a blood transfusion.  I started taking a prescription called Lysteda and it has been life-changing.

OK, commercial over. :)

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Junie said:

I'm going to sound like an annoying commercial here:

Slache, you should really talk to your doctor.  I have similar issues with my cycle and became anemic to the point of needing a blood transfusion.  I started taking a prescription called Lysteda and it has been life-changing.

OK, commercial over. ?

I've been fine since going gluten free. Funny how that works.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

Interesting.  Gluten-free didn't change mine at all, but I did figure out why I usually felt better during my pregnancies and while exclusively nursing.

Huge difference. I used to just lie in bed crying from the pain. I was cold, had migraines, and I was like the mother of the Nile River. It's not perfect now, but I can handle daily life.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Are your kids 100% homeschooled? It doesn't sound like it. I can't imagine working around the public school schedule. Bleh! I won't even do classical conversations! I am very spoiled.

Theoretically we do school every day, taking a week off every 6-8 weeks. Theoretically...

My kids are 100% homeschooled, except for the classes they take at my science center.  I don't work around the public school calendar but I am aware of it since my 4-H club has a lot of public schoolers and my oldest went to public school.   When I say holidays I just mean the national "bank" holidays.  I take off the entire week of Thanksgiving, the weeks of Christmas and New Years, the week of President's Day, the week of Memorial Day.

• Like 3

I tutored a 2nd grader and a K’er. I still enjoy it but I am out of one kind of teaching aid and need to make more. I had started making the originals way back when my kids were little but life got busy with them and I never got it done. I am weird enough to want to continue now since it is really handy for tutoring. 

The mom, aka “random Korean lady” is pushing again for more tutoring sessions per week but I am resisting. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Saturday!!!

this morning we are looking at a house.

this afternoon we are having Thanksgiving dinner at my Mom and Dad’s house with her two sisters and their husbands. It will be nice.

somewhere in between there I need to get to the Afsa and do my grocery shopping.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I did leave the house.  But it was just to go to HEB to pick up a few things, so pretty leisurely this early.  Plus I picked up one night's Hanukkah gift for dc.  Just Ferrero Rochet, but it's their fave.  Now I'm at the Mexican reataurant on the corner, waiting for breakfast tacos to take home.

Ooooh, breakfast tacos. We’ll take a dozen, please!!

• Like 1

Good morning!  

I have been down the long road and back again.  Ds13's audition (for middle school all-regional orchestra) seemed to go well.  He lacks the nervous gene, somehow.  The rest of us seem to have gotten extra large nervous genes.  :blink:  We will find out the results tonight, if I remember to check.

When we got back to the warm-up room, this sweet little kid was standing there with a broken e-string on his violin and his parents were a bit distraught. Fortunately, I had literally 8 e-strings in my purse and gave them one.  Hope his audition went well after that.

Dh is bringing dd20 home for the week.  We're having birthday cake after lunch, and then some people are off to writers club and I have to get way across town to play for a party.

More Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Yay for Slache and Matt!

Yay for Susan's stash of E strings!

DD's back still hurts even with ibuprofen before practice.  If we alternate heat and cold - how long do we do each?  Do you take a break in between or no?  How long do you do it? 

According to my chiropractor you only want to do cold because heat causes inflammation. Do cold for 20 minutes and stop for an hour then do cold for 20 minutes stop for an hour...

• Thanks 1