Menu

I need a phonics workbook with lots of repetition and writing.

rachelpants

My DS is probably what you would call a struggling reader, although he has made great strides this year.

He was also struggling with number reversals so I bought an EASY math workbook with tons and tons of writing and repetition (Conventional Arithmetic with Spunky the Donkey). I bought the first grade book although he is currently in RS C. It was a struggle for him at first but now the worksheets are easy for him to fill out....which is just I wanted to happen.

I think it's good for him to over-learn concepts and I think adding an easy and repetitive writing component to his phonics lessons would be helpful.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

We're using the phonics workbooks from Christian Liberty Press. My struggling kindergartener seems to be finally making some strides. I like it because it is so repetitious and she can do it on her own most of the time. She gets very nervous when she's put on the spot, so teacher intensive programs don't work well for her. I'm finding that she's picking up a lot more when I'm not working with her.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

Did I read somewhere that ETC was bad for kids with guessing tendencies? It's been forever since I researched it, I could be wrong. I'll have to take another look. :)

Alison,

My DS made it through the end of ARI set 1 in the I See Sam books. I suspected that he was guessing and memorizing words so I put ARI set 2 on hold and am working on Blend Phonics, word lists, and nonsense words with him. He will be done with Blend Phonics in a couple of weeks and I plan on starting him back in the Sam books when he is done because they work so well for fluency. However, I've learned my lesson and will have him continue phonics instruction/review while we work through the rest of the books. ;)

After Blend Phonics, I might use Phonics Pathways (to get him reading on a 4th grade level) followed by either AAR or ElizabethB's lessons (to get him up to a 12th grade level). I'm hoping that increasing his writing will help to solidify his reading... Thus, my search for a workbook because I'm tired of pulling everything together myself. ;)

I'm off to Google BJU, Plaid Phonics, EPS, School Phonics and CLP. :) Thank you all again for the suggestions!

• Like 1

Yes, the repetitive nature of the ETC workbooks leads to guessing for those prone to that, several people mentioned that on a guessing thread a while ago.

The School Phonics workbooks also utilize nonsense words, it is too bad you have to buy the whole thing now, $75 is a bit steep if all you want are the workbooks.

Here are sample pages for school phonics book 1. The 5th and 6th ones shows how they use nonsense words. The first page shows lists of words, they have a serious amount of words per phonogram, perfect amount needed for high repetition students.

http://www.didax.com/schoolphonics/studentbook.cfm

That is a bummer about the price, this sample looks great.

I didn't know that there were ALS workbooks, I thought they just had the readers....thanks Michele :)

• Like 1

My late bloomer really liked the Plaid Phonics workbooks from MCP.

If this program is combined with Spelling Workout, there is a lot of extra reinforcement, too.

I love the Plaid Phonics series -- the program has worked wonders for my dyslexic son.

• Like 1

I really like Marcia Henry's Words. It is a bit expensive, and only the first 1/3 of the book will be easy enough to do now, but you can use the later parts with all your children, including him later, it combines spelling with a bit of word root study. It is also nonconsumable with easy to print PDFs. The sample is from the first 1/3, which is much easier than the end of the book. There is a lot of information in the book, the later activities should help when he is a bit older.

http://www.proedinc.com/customer/productView.aspx?ID=989

Dancing Bears is the best I've found for fluent reading.

Apples & Pears Spelling compliments Dancing Bears, and if you want a lot of writing it might be a good fit.  My dyslexic couldn't handle A&P pace, but my advanced LA girl has done very well with it.

• Like 2

My DS is probably what you would call a struggling reader, although he has made great strides this year.

He was also struggling with number reversals so I bought an EASY math workbook with tons and tons of writing and repetition (Conventional Arithmetic with Spunky the Donkey). I bought the first grade book although he is currently in RS C. It was a struggle for him at first but now the worksheets are easy for him to fill out....which is just I wanted to happen.

I think it's good for him to over-learn concepts and I think adding an easy and repetitive writing component to his phonics lessons would be helpful.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Spalding. Not a workbook, but it reinforces correct directionality, and there's certainly LOTS of repetition and writing. :-)