Menu

Do you have too many books?

BatmansWife

There is no such thing as too many books. There is only "too few bookshelves".

This. Exactly. My living room looks like a library and we love it that way.

I only regret not getting books on woodworking so my kids could also learn to build beautiful bookshelves.

• Like 7

Too many books???  I'm not sure I understand that concept.  That is like a nonsense sentence.  Something silly I would tell my kids to write to get them giggling.  

I now know where to put the books I need to move to make room for those new sets I'm eyeing though.  Anyone want a slightly used sofa? ;)

• Like 2

Too many books???  I'm not sure I understand that concept.  That is like a nonsense sentence.  Something silly I would tell my kids to write to get them giggling.  

I now know where to put the books I need to move to make room for those new sets I'm eyeing though.  Anyone want a slightly used sofa? ;)

I was actually going to PM you this cartoon personally...thought of you right away and knew you could relate, like I can.   :lol:   Then I decided I should just share it here.

Oh, I should clarify...I also don't think you can have too many books. That IS a nonsense question.  :001_smile:

• Like 1

Now this just makes me jealous.  Was that you're intent on posting these?  If so...you succeeded.

:lol:   JK...these are awesome ideas.

:laugh:  Nope, just trying to inspire you with solutions to help you realize ways of incorporating MORE books into your life and home! ;)

• Like 1

I had too many books, but not anymore. Last week I gave away and threw away more than 9/10th of my book collection and I'm not done yet. I feel so free and unburdened. I was losing more than I was gaining by owning so many books.

I like to read books, and I like to own the book I'm currently reading more than borrowing it. From now on I'm going to try and mostly buy books that are super easy to give away, so that I can just give it right away when I am done with it. Other times, I'm making sure to buy a cheap used copy, if it's curriculum, so I don't feel guilty throwing it away when I'm done with it.

It took me a couple years to go from wanting to downsize to figuring out how to do that, and finding peace with the results of doing that. I'm finally there.

Books were the last thing I needed to break my hoarding tendencies with. Years ago I became an extreme minimalist, but was at war with myself over NEEDING to be surrounded with books.

Not only did I get rid of books, but I got rid of about 1/4 of already very small collection of other possessions. That 1/4 was made up of things I only owned in my attempts to please other people. I decided I don't owe anyone to purchase and store belongings for their benefit. They get to choose what goes on their body and in their home and so do I even if they think I'm weird and a bad hostess and a sloppy dresser. I get to not care about the stuff they care about.