Menu

Tell me about pulling a student half-way through the semester

Ugh.  My now-freshman daughter was homeschooled through eighth grade.  We sent her to a small private Christian school for her freshman year.  We decided at the end of the first semester not to send her back next year, but tuition is paid--we'll finish the year, we thought.  Well, now relations with the school have deteriorated rapidly (over something really, really stupid--it's a long story, but suffice it to say that the two-time offender is married to the head of the school, so we're unlikely to see a satisfactory resolution).  We are considering pulling her mid-year, homeschooling for the remainder of this year and then sending her to a public high school next year.  

So, talk me through how that works for credit purposes.  Can you really have .75 credits (the quarter ends in the next week or two) from an accredited school and .25 from my basement?  Or would she have .5 from the school, and I would essentially give her credit for the work she has done at the school this semester so that she would have .5 from me and .5 from the school?

I can't really ask the school she will be attending because I don't know which school it will be yet.  We have applied for a transfer to a school other than the one for which we are zoned but don't know yet whether we will get one of the spots.  The reasons for pulling her mid-year have nothing to do with her behavior or her grades and everything to do with administration.

(Stupid school.  And stubborn mom, yeah--I'll take my share of the responsibility here.  They are wrong, and I just couldn't let them get away with it.  And now here we are negotiating over how much of our tuition they'll refund.  They have offered 25%; I have insisted on 50%.  If they agree to 50%, I'll be shocked, but I also will be pretty much up a creek.)

Does your state have end of course exams for most of the courses? If it does, I'd have your dd take those as a way to verify the credits. Some public schools are flexible, some are die hard about awarding credits for homeschool work but the EOC exams are a guarantee of credit.

So, for example, in Texas, I'd sign her up for the EOC exams for English 1 and Biology. Then, I'd use the credit by exam option offered by Texas Tech ISD for the correct math, history and foreign language classes because there are no longer EOCs available for those classes. That would give the student a flame proof freshman year that no ISD could refuse to recognize. You'll have to do your research for your state (or ask here for specifics) but I bet you can come up with a similar plan.

• Like 1

Ugh.  My now-freshman daughter was homeschooled through eighth grade.  We sent her to a small private Christian school for her freshman year.  We decided at the end of the first semester not to send her back next year, but tuition is paid--we'll finish the year, we thought.  Well, now relations with the school have deteriorated rapidly (over something really, really stupid--it's a long story, but suffice it to say that the two-time offender is married to the head of the school, so we're unlikely to see a satisfactory resolution).  We are considering pulling her mid-year, homeschooling for the remainder of this year and then sending her to a public high school next year.  

So, talk me through how that works for credit purposes.  Can you really have .75 credits (the quarter ends in the next week or two) from an accredited school and .25 from my basement?  Or would she have .5 from the school, and I would essentially give her credit for the work she has done at the school this semester so that she would have .5 from me and .5 from the school?

I can't really ask the school she will be attending because I don't know which school it will be yet.  We have applied for a transfer to a school other than the one for which we are zoned but don't know yet whether we will get one of the spots.  The reasons for pulling her mid-year have nothing to do with her behavior or her grades and everything to do with administration.

(Stupid school.  And stubborn mom, yeah--I'll take my share of the responsibility here.  They are wrong, and I just couldn't let them get away with it.  And now here we are negotiating over how much of our tuition they'll refund.  They have offered 25%; I have insisted on 50%.  If they agree to 50%, I'll be shocked, but I also will be pretty much up a creek.)

:grouphug: 

Just a note that "accreditation" might or might not have any benefit.

And also wondering why you aren't considering homeschooling forever. :-) 

It is possible that the public school will accept all of her credits, even though it's only 3/4 of the year. You would need to talk directly with the school she's transferring to (and you might have to talk with more than one person. And get it in writing. Seriously.).

Does your ps accept credits from homeschoolers? Some do. Some don't. You really need to call around some of your possible choices for next yr and ask them what they will accept and what they won't. Their answers will be far more relevant than any of our opinions.

That was my first thought too.  At the high school mine would attend, homeschool credits count for nothing in most cases.  You can get math or foreign language credit with a placement test, and I've heard of a  case now where they do that for English with a portfolio and standardized test scores.  The rest would have to be taken over.

If you came in with credits from a brick-and-mortar school, they'd take them.  Go figure.

I don't know all of the details, but frankly I'd stick it out at the current school if you lived in my area.  I don't what they'd do with a mix of brick-and-mortar and mom credits if you withdrew your student now.  Given what I know locally, I wouldn't chance it.

Every area is different though.  You might be OK.

• Like 2

To clarify, yes, my preference is to stick it out for the final quarter.  If that becomes impossible, though, I need a plan.

High schools here can accept homeschool credit or not.  My concern is that we would be asking for a quarter-credit.  I don't even know if a single class can really be prorated like that, as opposed to a half-credit class that is intended to be a half-credit.  As an aside, this school has twenty freshmen and is losing at least NINE of them next year.  You would think they would have tried a little tiny bit to hold onto a good student.  If I told you all the full story, you would (1) be bored but (2) side with me, of course, because you're all right-thinking people.  But that's not the point. . ..

• Like 1

This varies so much by local situation and custom, that you need to contact the schools to which you may transfer (your zoned school and the one you might get into instead) and ask them for advice on how to keep your child on track to graduate on time under the circumstances.

When/if your daughter leaves the school, I'd suggest you ask for a copy of her transcript or other school records.  That should show you what amount of credit the school is issuing your daughter for each of her classes and may help you in determining what amount of credit you will need to issue.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Any suggestion I would have (contacting the schools, state testing, ps now, etc) has already been mentioned, so I'm mainly on here wishing you good luck with it all!

It sounds like a horrid little school - esp if they are losing just about half their class.

• Like 1

I did this with my own daughter. Just a heads up that not all schools will accept homeschool credits. Some require additional things like testing or portfolios. I had to provide the school my paperwork and a portfolio of my daughters work in order to get her credit. Even then they didn't want to accept her credits until each department looked over it.