Menu

Fear of Snakes vs Eels

creekland

Fear of Snakes vs Eels  

68 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about snakes/eels?

• I love them both and would enjoy seeing either in the wild - even as a surprise - as long as there's no danger from a bite.
    • I detest them both and would shudder/jump if I saw them unexpectedly.
    • I like snakes, but not eels (or don't think I'd like eels).
    • I like eels, but not snakes (or don't think I'd like snakes).
    • Other - does there need to be an other? If so, what should it be?

Esp if you don't like snakes (natural fear type of thing), what's your reaction to eels?

I saw a Sharptail Eel while out snorkeling today - unfortunately, hubby wasn't around to take our own pic, but one can be seen here:

http://reefguide.org/carib/sharptaileel.html

I was thrilled as I'd never seen one before.  In other locations I've seen tons of other types of eels though - in the water - with them.

When I was relating my experience to my mom (and showing her the online pic) she said she was glad she didn't go with me as it looks too much like a snake to her.  That surprised me.  I detest snakes.  Two of my boys detest snakes.  We can all look at them behind glass or if someone points them out in the distance, but we really dislike being surprised by them in the wild.  Yet eels don't bother any of us and never have.  I enjoy seeing them out in the wild.  I do not enjoy seeing water snakes - they give me the same shudder land snakes do.

So... what's anyone else's experience or thoughts?  Curious minds start to wonder.

Totally different in my mind. A snake is a reptile, an eel is a fish, and they don't resemble each other at all:)

ETA: I am jealous about seeing the Sharptail eel...

This, in hindsight, is what makes the difference for me I think, but it appears that we're in the minority on this one as the vast majorities either love or detest them both.

I'll have to keep that in mind when I relate viewings - esp to those I want to join me out in the water... but then again, I'd hate for anyone to panic over a sighting either.  I know if I'm likely to see a snake I prefer to be forewarned.  I'm fine with them when I know where they are and/or to expect them.  It's the surprise of seeing them that triggers the natural fear response.

Live and learn.  It's nice having the Hive to get a wider assessment about these things.

For me, yes, it was a great bonus to see a new (to me) species in the wild.  Rather than fear response I get the pleasure response.  Huge difference!

I'm pretty terrified of snakes, but I don't think eels would frighten me as much. Snakes scare me because every time I've seen one it's been a surprise. I would think eels don't just 'appear' right by your feet, looking like they want to gnaw on your ankles. 

Plus, if I peed my pants when I saw an eel, it wouldn't be as noticeable. 

Yes, I do realize my snake fear is irrational, and that snakes aren't any worse than any other animal. That's what's so annoying- I know the fear is irrational but I can't seem to overcome it. 

How cool that you got to see the eel!!! Sounds like you're having a fabulous time!

Yes, I do realize my snake fear is irrational, and that snakes aren't any worse than any other animal. That's what's so annoying- I know the fear is irrational but I can't seem to overcome it. 

This is why I agree with some of the later studies that claim for some humans (not all) the fear of snakes is natural and not learned.  I'm ok with any other critter out there - spiders, lizards, mice, etc.  But snakes?  Even though I've seen them since my youth and would like to not get that fear response when I see them, I haven't overcome it.  Hubby kills all we find on our farm.  That helps, but I don't even like seeing the dead bodies.  He just feeds them to our chickens.

Out in the wild we don't kill them, of course, but I always want either hubby or the one kid who isn't scared of them to go first to warn me that they are there.  With warning, I'm ok.

IF it's not a natural response, it could be due to the first experience with a snake that I remember.  My dad called my sister and I over to see something new (we were pre-schoolers).  It was a small red snake.  As soon as I saw it she screamed in my ear... so maybe it's learned, but if learned, I'm bummed that I can't overcome it.

I'm just jealous that you live somewhere warm enough to go in water. 

I've never seen a snake other than in zoos and I've never seen an eel other than in pictures.  I don't have strong feelings about either. 

We only live where it's warm enough sometimes in Feb - aka - we're on vacation in the Caribbean.  It was a good year to go.  My hometown newspaper ran an article yesterday saying Feb 2015 is the coldest Feb on record and close to getting the all time coldest month ever designation.  Right now it's in second to Jan 1918 if I remember the year correctly.  I do not mind missing this type of record-breaking event.  We'll be keeping our budget tight to try to do similarly next year.

Snakes we see often on our hikes and occasionally on our farm (those will be killed if hubby's around).  Those I see in zoos or in classrooms (behind glass) do not bother me, but I don't actually touch them or let students get them out when I'm there.  The most I've done is replace heat lamp bulbs or water in their water bowl. 

DH is terrified of snakes but I don't think he'd mind eels, although being surprised by one wouldn't win it a popularity contest with him.

I've eaten both; snake was less gross.

I don't think I'd purposely eat either.  Snakes just disgust me.  From our planet's waters the only creatures that would need to fear me are shrimp and some varieties of fish like Grouper, Flounder, or Haddock and (none as sushi).  All others like crabs, lobster, oysters, conch, clams, scallops, etc, are perfectly safe as far as I'm concerned.

Hubby eats anything, so would probably try both if offered, but he'd have to get them elsewhere.

I remember going fishing in a small rowboat when I was about 10 years old. I felt something on the line, pulled it in, and jerked the line out of the water. On the end of the line was a giant (about 30") eel, writhing and jumping and somersaulting in the air at about the level of my face. I screamed and threw the rod, reel, and eel overboard.

I also check supermarket sushi to make sure that there is no eel in the package.

I think eating a plate of wiggly elvers (baby eels, look like worms) is disgusting.

Op, your eel looks ok. It is staying still.

Snakes are cool. Wouldn't mind at all seeing them in the wild (of course I'd be taking the proper precautions for any snake and would not handle them at all). I have no fear of snakes (well I wouldn't go buying a rattlesnake pet lol) and would keep a pet one if only they didn't have to eat mice. ðŸ˜

If I was snorkeling (1/1,000,000,000 possibility since I hyperventilated last time I tried) and saw an eel, I'd be terrified and would absolutely panic. Something about being out of my element, in the open water, just freaks me the heck out. We went to the Keys a couple years ago and I tried several times to snorkel. I just could not relax enough to do it. Anything touching me in the water totally wigs me out. Seaweed, little fish, even shells in the sand when I'm wading in the shallow areas. Meanwhile, dh had my then 4 and 7 year olds out snorkeling with tons of fish, rays, turtles, and jellyfish (just two or three and not close to them). They went lobstering and caught their own dinner. From the boat we saw dolphins, nurse sharks, and a manatee came right up to the boat in the canal! Kids wanted to jump in and swim with it, which I promptly vetoed lol.

Eels are cool. On a video or in a book or tank. 😳

I voted "other."  I absolutely HATE snakes.  I'm terrified of them.  I even hate seeing them on TV.  Even pictures of them.  Ew!!! 

However, I don't think I'd be bothered by eels.  They are fish and seem very different, though I couldn't really say why exactly.  But, not having ever seen one in the wild or up close and personal, I couldn't say for sure.

But, not having ever seen one in the wild or up close and personal, I couldn't say for sure.

That's a good point! I like to think I'd be ok with an eel but since I'v never encountered one in the wild, I don't really know. 

I'll just stay in denial and continue to think I'd be brave. 

I don't think I'd purposely eat either. Snakes just disgust me. From our planet's waters the only creatures that would need to fear me are shrimp and some varieties of fish like Grouper, Flounder, or Haddock and (none as sushi). All others like crabs, lobster, oysters, conch, clams, scallops, etc, are perfectly safe as far as I'm concerned.

Hubby eats anything, so would probably try both if offered, but he'd have to get them elsewhere.

Oh, I ate them under duress. My parents were of the mindset that I must try everything they wanted to eat (although they did let me off the hook when they made--yes, made--head cheese. Oh gag). So when my brother shot rattlesnakes in the backyard and decided to fry them up I wasn't given any chance to get out of it. But the eel he caught was SO, SO much worse. Thank goodness they can't import worm cheese (don't google that unless you really want to lose it. Maggots jumping out of your sandwich! Yikes!).

Sorry for the gross diversion.

Snakes are cool. Wouldn't mind at all seeing them in the wild (of course I'd be taking the proper precautions for any snake and would not handle them at all). I have no fear of snakes (well I wouldn't go buying a rattlesnake pet lol) and would keep a pet one if only they didn't have to eat mice. ðŸ˜

If I was snorkeling (1/1,000,000,000 possibility since I hyperventilated last time I tried) and saw an eel, I'd be terrified and would absolutely panic. Something about being out of my element, in the open water, just freaks me the heck out. We went to the Keys a couple years ago and I tried several times to snorkel. I just could not relax enough to do it. Anything touching me in the water totally wigs me out. Seaweed, little fish, even shells in the sand when I'm wading in the shallow areas. Meanwhile, dh had my then 4 and 7 year olds out snorkeling with tons of fish, rays, turtles, and jellyfish (just two or three and not close to them). They went lobstering and caught their own dinner. From the boat we saw dolphins, nurse sharks, and a manatee came right up to the boat in the canal! Kids wanted to jump in and swim with it, which I promptly vetoed lol.

Eels are cool. On a video or in a book or tank. 😳

We've seen quite a few snakes in the wild on other trips (only one corn snake here).  We've seen rattlers, copperheads, moccasins, garter snakes, rat snakes, ribbon snakes, my personal favorite (because it was so different) a lyre snake, and countless others that we never figured out the labels for.  If one is looking for snakes on purpose, one can't really beat the Barataria Preserve outside New Orleans in LA IME.  There were more snakes there than I've ever seen on one hike.  We literally lost count and were trying to keep it.  Do NOT go there if you can't handle snake sightings as they will be everywhere - even crossing the boardwalk with you at times.

http://www.nps.gov/jela/barataria-preserve.htm

Otherwise... manatees are cool.  We got to dive with those in FL one year in an area where it was allowed - very friendly inquisitive critters.

We went out snorkeling again today - octopus, corals, fire corals (beware of these), small jellies, a spotted moray eel and oodles upon oodles of fish of every size, shape, and color.  A remora even tried to attach itself to hubby (Whitefin Sharksucker).  He says at least it was a Sharksucker and not a Whalesucker.  ;)

In general, if it's on this website (see other categories off on the side), we've likely seen it.  It's a great place to see a huge variety of tropical fish.  My favorites are the blues (Parrotfish, Wrasse, Tang, etc).

http://reefguide.org/carib/index1.html

Hubby puts some of our own pics on here:

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/creekland/library/General/2015%20Bahamas?sort=3&multi=1&addtype=&page=7

The reefguide site has better pics though.  Our underwater camera is old so the resolution isn't nearly the same.

And for those not wanting to get in the water, there is an option to go on a Glass Bottom Boat.  We did that.  It gives a taste of what is out there, but snorkeling (in the right spots) gives so much more.  Diving would too, but that's out for me for the time being - hopefully health issues will be resolved by our next dive spot trip.  Time will tell.

Creekland, i would have loved to go swimming with the manatee! I didn't let the kids get in because they were small at the time and I was afraid that the manatee would accidentally squish them into the boat or dock lol. Or that they would get trapped and not be able to come up for air.

My dh took underwater footage of the kids snorkeling. it was cool! That is when I saw they had been in the water with the jellies. And fire coral, yes, weve seen that. I will say, I am really glad that the kids haven't taken after me regarding fearing the water. I like that they are more adventurous.

We're all about the snakes, but I wouldn't have problems with eels, either. In general, neither DH nor I are particularly scared of any living creature. Respectful, yes, shy, no. DD is much the same way.

I will say that I find it humorous that so many people have seen wild venomous snakes. In three years of doing field herping with professional herpetologists, the only venomous snakes we've seen have been dead ones. It frustrates DD to no end.

We're all about the snakes, but I wouldn't have problems with eels, either. In general, neither DH nor I are particularly scared of any living creature. Respectful, yes, shy, no. DD is much the same way.

I will say that I find it humorous that so many people have seen wild venomous snakes. In three years of doing field herping with professional herpetologists, the only venomous snakes we've seen have been dead ones. It frustrates DD to no end.

Where do you go?  We've seen rattlers out west and in MD (Catocin Mts - they've been restocking them on purpose in some areas).  We've seen copperheads in MD and points south.  We've seen moccasins in VA and points south.

Around our farm we only get rat snakes, garter snakes, and milk snakes as far as I know - none of which are venomous. 

The vast majority of snakes we see are on hikes, though when we lived in FL, there were enough around our house too.  Hubby also had plenty around his house growing up in NC (swamp next door) and his folks have several around their cottage (along a river) in VA.

I guess with snakes it's location, location, location.  Ditto that for eels actually.

The corn snake we saw here in the Bahamas was wild, but it's not native.  They're the offspring of some that either came over on ships or were brought as pets (according to the wildlife person where we saw it).  There's a pic of it included with our pics of the trip.  There are no venomous snakes here on the island as far as I know.

Snakes are OK but eels freak me out. The way they come out of water onto the land, and travel....ugh...I feel a little anxious even typing this...

Those would be interesting eels to encounter.  The only varieties I've seen have been the land versions - though come to think of it, in HI we did see small eels in the tidal pools that would cross over (hardened) lava to get into other pools, so it makes sense that their larger brothers and sisters could do it too.

I don't think I've ever seen an eel irl. I like snakes. I'm always happy to get a surprise viewing of a creature in the wild. The only thing I find a little bit creepy is hairless cats (which I'm not likely to encounter in the wild). Oh and also maggots. I don't like looking at maggots 

I love snakes and sometimes see them on the property.  I've encountered eels in the water and while fishing.  Both usually startle me because of the sudden movement, but other than that I like to see them.  The only two poisonous snakes in our area are pretty rare so I don't worry about that.  I think they are really cool creatures! 

'Tis interesting reading responses and looking at poll results.  Those who consider them in the same light (like or not) definitely outnumber those of us who see them with different natural reactions.  My mom is far more normal than I am.  I'm not sure if that's a pro or con!   :lol:

Of course, I'd rather be "normal" and not mind seeing either, but that's not likely to happen, so at least it helps to enjoy seeing eels.