Menu

Help me come up with activity ideas for while we are iced in

MSNative

We are having a lovely ice storm here in the South. I'd love to use this "found time" to get to doing something fun that we don't usually get to do. But my brain is frozen and I cant think what that would be. What do you always want to do but never make time for? What are some of your favorite stuck inside activities?

We might do a PJ day and watch fun family movies all day and eat snack foods.

Baking day might be fun.

Some families like game days but I am not a game person so my poor kids are on their own for that.

Sometimes we use the day to get stuff done in the house that we never otherwise have time for.......but that wouldnt' count as fun.

Indoor picnic. Put on a play or a puppet play. Make videos..my kids would make up their own television shows and record them, including news and commercials. Do a video interview of each kid, having them tell about their favorite activities and interests at this age. These are fun to watch when they are older!!! Read your favorite books. Make a fire if you have a fireplace or woodstove. Roast marshmallows and make s'mores. Put on music and dance like crazy.

We did some bird watching this morning - our feeders were busy, esp the suet feeder. Ds did some drawings and we made a new block for the suet feeder.

Dd helped make the beef stew for dinner.

They broke out the puppets and have been making puppet shows since lunch, after a brief excursion into the wet and cold.

Room time now and WildKratts comes on here in 20 minutes, so some edutainment.

Thinking about watching a movie tonight sonce tomorrow will be all day at home too.

Science day tomorrow I think! Experiments with inclined planes and levers, anyone? Lego catapults or trebuchets?!

Dd has badgework for AHG to do this week too.

ETA: blanket forts may happen here too!! then we will have something to destroy with our catapults.

You can make a light table with an underbed box, some Christmas lights (white), and some wax paper or parchment paper.

Line the box with the paper. Put the lights in a rectangle the size of the box--put the box over the lights (or tape the lights to the bottom of the box and flip over). Then play in a slightly darkened room. Anything translucent works as fun stuff to put on the light box. Check Pinterest for ideas. I use colored glass gems, plastic translucent cups, straws, etc. It's fun, and really pretty. You can put black frames on the box and make transcient art. You can build with magnatiles on it (they are translucent).

It's just different and fun.

Loving these ideas!!! So far we have played every board game I can handle, done read alouds, science and cooking. Keep the ideas coming! I'm gathering supplies to make tomorrow science, light box, puppet, cooking, fort, ice sledding, TV show, pj day extravaganza! Actually looking forward to it!!