Menu

Sudden crating an adult dachshund because of a back problem

Night Elf

My dachshund is trying to recover from a back problem. The vet, that I trust completely, is worried that he's been like this for 3 weeks now. She wants to try putting him in a crate to limit his movement. Marley is not crate trained. Is it possible he will get used to being in the crate? He's going to freak out at first. I just know he's going to bark and whine. One of her assistants is letting me borrow a crate to see if he will be miserable. I don't know what that means. Of course he'll be miserable. How long do I let him bark and freak out before I decide he's miserable. Will he get used to the crate if he's kept in it for a few hours at a time? I'm going to ask these questions when I go to pick up the crate today, but wanted to get some additional opinions. Since Monday, we've been lifting him up and down so he doesn't use his pet steps. I'm trying to figure out how to limit his walking. The vet said I could take him out of the crate to let him lay down with me on the sofa but I have to crate him again as soon as he starts moving around and wants to get down. Am I wrong to just think crating is just a bad idea? Am I being too soft? I want him to get better. I'm upset that he's still suffering although his episodes have slowed down. What do I do?

Yes, you're wrong to assume crating won't work w/o even trying it.

Many dogs really like their crates.  Some dogs who don't like being crated when they're well don't mind it when they're hurting or sick.

With a small dog (and I assume a small crate) it's pretty easy to move the crate around to wherever you are, so the dog doesn't feel like he's missing out.

So I'd give it a try.  Make it a comfy place for him, and give him a good treat the first time he goes in.  If you have a Kong, sometimes stuffing one of them with something yummy and freezing it will keep a dog occupied for a good while.

Another possibility is asking the vet for a mild sedative that can be used for as long as he needs to be confined.

:iagree: with Pawz...Don't forget he will pick up on your anxiety.  Make it a great place to be with something his favorite person wore and a treat he can only enjoy inside his cozy spot.  I hope the little fellow heals quickly, back problems in them can be pretty bad.

We did that with our Sasha, sadly it didn't help enough, she was very badly hurt.  She would whine a lot at first but got to the point where she didn't want to come out at all (I had to clean the crate and her daily so she HAD to come out).  I would think easing him into it a couple hours at a time would help.  Another thing we did was get a big laundry basket filled with blankets (the dogs have like 10 of them) and I would cart her around the house that way too. 

Why would you assume it's a bad idea before you've even tried it? He may be miserable but if it keeps him less active than you are capable of keeping him it will help. Barking shouldn't be a problem but jumping in the crate would be. Finding a crate small enough to not allow him to jump would solve that issue.small crates can do and a crate divider for a bigger crate will do too.

We have a dog who is never crated but was for two weeks last year due to a back problem. Yes, he whined at first but it was what was best for him and he fully recovered. He has been put back in the crate from time to time for a few days when he exhibits some of the same symptoms and it's kept it from progressing. I would definitely do it. We just kept the crate near us all the time and in the beginning I sat on the floor next to it a lot.

Yes, you're wrong to assume it will fail before trying. I'd trust the vet! ITA that the pup will pick up on your anxiety too. My dogs are crate trained, but when they've been crated for a medical reason, they seem to like the crate being covered or partially covered.

If you have other dogs, you may want to introduce the crate to them too in case medical need arises in the future. I hope this helps your pup! :)

Yes he will be unhappy.  But you must do it.  My dachshund had the same problems you describe.  The vet prescribed absolute crate rest, no movement except to potty/eat.  The disc is in such a fragile state that any sudden movement will cause it to rupture.  You know how dachshunds love to dash off to bark at things without warning.  He may grow to like it but you can expect loud complaints.  Mine like to be wrapped in a blanket warm from the dryer.  If you don't crate him and follow the vet's orders exactly, he will end up with a ruptured disc and paralysis, and will have to have very expensive back surgery or euthanasia because of the pain.   We did the surgery twice, for two different discs, before we had kids, when we were both working.  In my dog's case, in some ways, I think it was inevitable that the disc would go ahead and rupture, but I also sort of blame myself for perhaps not adhering as strictly to the "crate rest" instructions as I might have.  I snuggled with him as much as I could when he would lie down.  At about age 14-15, his back went down again but this time he was in no pain, just dragged himself around.  We got him a wheelchair and he rolled about with it for another couple of  years before we had to put him down.  Get ready for the barking!! :(  No fun.

I'm so sorry your little guy is in pain.

Our dachshund minpin was a rescue and had been crate trained but he was very specific about the crate HE wanted and I of course had no idea what he was used to. The plastic snap together crate I had prepared wasn't for him and it was only after trying the metal Midwest brand crate (and one that was a size bigger than what someone would normally buy for a smaller dog) that he settled in immediately (without treats even!). So if buying a crate I would suggest keeping the receipt so you can return it and try another one if needed.

Definitely agree about treats and getting something you can bring to you if you want to keep him close and soothe him. Also, you might want a crate that has more than one side door...maybe something with a top hatch? This could be valuable if you need to lift him in and out.

Most dogs love crates. Remember, they have a denning instinct and the crate is their den. If your dog isn't used to it, he will need to adjust. Just keep the crate close by and I suspect he'll be fine. I second asking the vet about whether a mild sedative would be appropriate. If you give one, however, don't let your dog run free when out of the crate (i.e., keep him leashed and with you.) The sedative will likely mask the pain, and he might overexert and hurt himself worse.

Okay, I'm home. I was told to definitely crate him anytime I had to leave the house. The rest of the time, as long as he's being still, I can keep him with me. I can let him walk a little, but not run or use any steps at all. She also had me stop one pill and give him Trazodone. I've been on that for insomnia! She told me I could crate him when I give him the medication because he'll settle down fast and go to sleep. I'm going to try that and see how it works. His next appointment is Monday. He gets a laser treatment and electric acupuncture which make him feel really good. Besides his new medication, he's on two other ones as well. Hopefully, he'll be feeling better really soon. My poor little man.

Thanks ladies. I'm such a woosie butt.

Sounds like you've got a very good vet!

Do work on crating him while you're home.  You don't want to just pop him in there the first time you need to run an errand and have him go ballistic while you're gone.  Better to acclimate him to it gradually if you can, and work on associating the crate with good things (treats) as much as you can.  You can even feed him his meals in it to reinforce the idea that it's a good place.

I sure hope he has a complete recovery!