Menu

Does your 11-13yo want to cook dinner?

Mystie

I'm finishing up my latest project: Simplified Dinners for New Cooks

What I want is to be able to plop this in front of my 11-year-old (who has helped me in the kitchen off and on for years) and say, "Hey, why don't you make dinner tonight" and have him be mostly independent in the whole process.

I also want it to be a resource my husband can grab and do dinner when I am out of town or sick or too exhausted.

I'd like to have about 10 other testing families try it out, too, before I sell it, and make it sure it's clear and workable for other people. 

Anyone else have older kids who'd like to try making dinner? I'll send you a free copy in exchange for feedback. :) Send me a private message with your email and I'll send you a review copy. Thanks! 

When this is ready, I think it will make a great "curriculum" for learning how to make a meal! So far my 11 & 9 yo boys have been able to use it and get dinner on the table themselves (main dish, side, and salad). I am totally outsourcing one meal a week to them as part of our school plan next year! 

I have a 10 year old who loves to cook and would give it a sincere try!  He is also a vegetarian, so would not want to make meat dishes.

He is very picky, but will cook things that he knows he won't eat. I keep hoping he will expand his horizons if I keep him cooking.

He has never used a sharp knife before and I would prob chop stuff up for him, but I would totally let him use the stove or whatever.

I also have a 14 year old who has never really cooked, but keeps saying he wants to. He just doesn't have any time. But maybe if I told him this was a test to see if a young person could handle a recipe he would make the time. He's a dancer so he is always off at class, lol.

Yay! Thanks! 

There's one page of bean dinners and several recipes that could be made without meat: Pizza and leave off pepperoni or soups and add more vegetables instead of the meat, that sort of thing. I am hoping to set it up in such a way that once they have some practice, they'd see how to make adjustments according to preferences like that. :) 

I have a few more proofreading edits to make, but I hope to send them out tonight! I was proofreading at the kitchen table while my 9 & 11 yo sons made homemade pizza, including the dough from scratch. Turned out great! :)

Thanks, everyone! I definitely have enough testers now. I'm excited to see if these recipes will work as well for others as they have for us. :) I'll keep you posted when it's ready in its final version!

I have a 12 yo dd who would like that.
But she isn't a total new cook, she can make several one pot and two pot meals.
I can't PM right now, unfortunetly.

You can send me an email at the contact page of my blog if you want: http://www.simplyconvivial.com/contact

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to those who helped with the testing and giving feedback! Simplified Dinners for New Cooks is now available for purchase!

I know I didn't get test copies to everyone who asked, so I created a special discount code for 50% off for WTM people only. :) 

Enter the code wtmcooks at checkout for 50% off Simplified Dinners for New Cooks (or any other Simplified Dinners version, too).

http://www.simplifiedpantry.com/new-cooks

Thanks!