Menu

To My Future DIL

creekland

I asked ds again today if he had any laundry he needed washed and he said "no, I still have enough"........meaning there is NO need to do laundry when he still has clothes in the drawers or in the basket clean or on the floor, etc.  He only thinks laundry needs to be done when he is OUT of clean clothes.............

Exactly my dh's line of thinking when we first married.  I reformed him.   :laugh:

My roommate in college noticed that my boyfriend wore the same shirt three days running -- the first day totally buttoned up, the second day with the sleeves unbuttoned, and the third day with everything unbuttoned (and probably the same white t-shirt on underneath). I'm pretty sure he only had two pairs of jeans that he rotated through, too. There were more stories ... which I won't share ... about his time in the armed forces. When he was geo-bacheloring it (and after we were married), I know his sheets & towels only got laundered when I visited - every three months or so. My dad visited him during this time & dh found my dad cleaning the bathroom in the middle of the night so as not to cause dh embarassment.

I'm happy to report that dh reformed mostly on his own. He's now quite a neat freak (as much as you can be with five kids) and does most of the laundry in the house. However, the sheets/towels only get washed when I gather them up to do them. That one is still not high on his to-do list.

Ha, this made me laugh, because sometime last year my grown son decided that using shampoo and soap was actually bad to use regularly, and refuses to shower with it.  He does use vinegar sometimes though, I think.  He swears it gets his hair just as clean.

I'm not sure if this is my guy's reasoning (he's very Green thinking/acting - Pro Earth/nature) or if he's just too lazy to bother.  He has not shared his reason.

I'm not sure any of the rest can be explained with Green thinking - esp leaving his discards (candy wrappers, dirty dishes, etc) wherever they were used.

He's terrific doing yardwork/landscaping and growing things.  I have to try my best to keep his plants alive in his absence!  ;)

And despite that I'm also a card carrying member of the slob-for-a-lifetime club, I am also the family finder.  I am very good at finding whatever went missing. 

According to college dd, this finding thing is a unique mom talent.  She had lost her acceptance to the German university paper.  She HAD to have it to check in.  I mean like required to have in hand.  She looked in her room, through all her stuff for a day or two.  I found in under 5 minutes.

Middle dd, high school senior, is really close to saying the same thing.

I'm not sure if this is my guy's reasoning (he's very Green thinking/acting - Pro Earth/nature) or if he's just too lazy to bother.  He has not shared his reason.

I'm not sure any of the rest can be explained with Green thinking - esp leaving his discards (candy wrappers, dirty dishes, etc) wherever they were used.

He's terrific doing yardwork/landscaping and growing things.  I have to try my best to keep his plants alive in his absence!   ;)

Well I suppose leaving dirty dishes is Green thinking in a way...  It does save on water!  :)

Well I suppose leaving dirty dishes is Green thinking in a way...  It does save on water!  :)

Please... do not share this line of thinking with him!  :huh:  I would have no chance of winning any battles thereafter AND it might mean I never get to actually give this letter to any future DIL!  :lol:

Making things unusable is anti-green.   If he wanted to do a non-washing thing he'd have to limit himself to private dishwasher and just reuse it himself without washing.  

A friend in high school had something like that happen in her family.  She had many brothers and they always got a new drinking glass every time.  Her dad became irate one day and got rid of All drinking glasses and went to a store and bought identical plastic drinking glasses in different colors.  Each person had one glass in their designated color.  Her brothers just never washed their drinking glasses.  

Making things unusable is anti-green.   If he wanted to do a non-washing thing he'd have to limit himself to private dishwasher and just reuse it himself without washing.  

A friend in high school had something like that happen in her family.  She had many brothers and they always got a new drinking glass every time.  Her dad became irate one day and got rid of All drinking glasses and went to a store and bought identical plastic drinking glasses in different colors.  Each person had one glass in their designated color.  Her brothers just never washed their drinking glasses.  

At this point I don't think he's anti washing dishes.  He just hasn't picked up on the "pattern" of taking dirty dishes, etc into the kitchen when he's done with them.  ;)

You're out there somewhere, and I just feel the need to apologize.  Someday you're going to meet my youngest son (if you don't already know him).  You're going to love his charm and his free spirit.  You're going to love his down to earth values.  You'll likely love his religious values.  You're going to love that he will do almost anything for you and will easily join you in deep conversations about many things.

This is how we brought him up, but it's also really him.

Then... someday... you're going to get to know him better and wonder why his mama didn't teach him to change his clothes daily - esp certain pieces of clothing.   You're going to wonder how he became an adult and didn't learn that showers are more effective WITH soap and shampoo (of some sort at least) - esp if heading out into the public.  You're going to wonder why he has no clue how to put his garbage in a trash can or return food/drinks/dirty dishes where they belong.

Might I suggest that rather than some sort of hamper you get a hula hoop and find a section of the floor for him to put his dirty clothes in - when he indeed determines they are dirty?  It will save you a bunch of hassle.

And please accept my sincere apology.  We really did try.  I wish you better luck.  And may you always enjoy his charm and free spirit.

I love my guy.  I really do.  But I failed in certain areas.

Ha...there is ALWAYS a flip side to any trait, isn't there?

You're out there somewhere, and I just feel the need to apologize.  Someday you're going to meet my youngest son (if you don't already know him).  You're going to love his charm and his free spirit.  You're going to love his down to earth values.  You'll likely love his religious values.  You're going to love that he will do almost anything for you and will easily join you in deep conversations about many things.

This is how we brought him up, but it's also really him.

Then... someday... you're going to get to know him better and wonder why his mama didn't teach him to change his clothes daily - esp certain pieces of clothing.   You're going to wonder how he became an adult and didn't learn that showers are more effective WITH soap and shampoo (of some sort at least) - esp if heading out into the public.  You're going to wonder why he has no clue how to put his garbage in a trash can or return food/drinks/dirty dishes where they belong.

Might I suggest that rather than some sort of hamper you get a hula hoop and find a section of the floor for him to put his dirty clothes in - when he indeed determines they are dirty?  It will save you a bunch of hassle.

And please accept my sincere apology.  We really did try.  I wish you better luck.  And may you always enjoy his charm and free spirit.

I love my guy.  I really do.  But I failed in certain areas.

I just read this out loud to my youngest, to the great amusement of him and his older brother (who I hope gets the message vicariously).

His reply?

"You tryin' to tell me somethin'?

:glare:

:laugh:

I just read this out loud to my youngest, to the great amusement of him and his older brother (who I hope gets the message vicariously).

His reply?

"You tryin' to tell me somethin'?

:glare:

:laugh:

All I can say is I wish you good luck!

(And I'm glad so many can relate - it makes me feel that I'm not alone in my incapability to pass on certain concepts!)

NO! Tell me it isn't so! This could be my second son and my hope was that someday a magical switch in his brain would turn on. Are you telling me it isn't going to happen? 

Routinely when we do laundry he will have something like 5 pairs of pants, 10 T-shirts (which is only so many because clean shirts fall into the laundry basket where it sits in his closet and he doesn't pick them up) and one pair of underwear.  :blink:   

And I can't count the number of times I've heard "But you didn't tell me I had to use soap." No, son, I thought soap was implied when I said "Shower" or "Wash your hands". 

NO! Tell me it isn't so! This could be my second son and my hope was that someday a magical switch in his brain would turn on. Are you telling me it isn't going to happen? 

Routinely when we do laundry he will have something like 5 pairs of pants, 10 T-shirts (which is only so many because clean shirts fall into the laundry basket where it sits in his closet and he doesn't pick them up) and one pair of underwear.  :blink:   

And I can't count the number of times I've heard "But you didn't tell me I had to use soap." No, son, I thought soap was implied when I said "Shower" or "Wash your hands". 

Since yours is young, you do still have hope.  ;)  I did when my guy was that age.