Menu

So if I did go to Paris (insert eye roll...), where to stay?

Chris in VA

Yeah, not decided or anything, but...

I'd like to know some options. I'd like a place that really nice, but not a bazillion dollars nice.

I don't know what areas are good--I don't think we are renting a car this time (we usually do), but we'll not want to take the underground EVERYwhere. Well, I won't.

So, hit me with recs.

Those in the know...

THANKS.

We went to Paris this past November and stayed in the 7th arrondissement at this hotel. It was clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, and the staff were friendly, helpful. The neighborhood was nice and yes, the Eiffel Tower (which is huge, btw - didn't expect that for some reason:) ) is maybe a 10 minute walk. Our hotel was not very close to the other big attractions - the Louvre, the Orsay, Notre Dame, etc. and we found that it was a good 30-45 minute walk to reach them. A  'lots to look at as we go' walk but still, it took some time. :)

I was very pleasantly surprised at how polite everyone was in Paris. And our food was always good no matter where we ate and the waiters patient with our attempts at speaking French - to which they would gently correct us in very good English.

Chris, I think you'll have a nice time if you do go to Paris. There is so much to do and it truly is a beautiful city.

Maybe you could take a look at hotels on TripAdvisor.com - lots of reviews to read through.

We stayed here just a couple years ago Hotel Montpensier   (edited to fix link)

It is close to the Louvre.

It was perfectly adequate for us & I'd stay there again. My criteria are basic - decent part of town, clean, hot water, safe.

I got all of our European hotel recommendations from trip advisor. Basically put in my $ & looked at the top rated hotels, deleted all the ones which didn't have quad rooms, & checked out any deals + availability.  I booked this one directly with the hotel but a couple other ones had better deals through the aggregator sites (hotels.com etc)

Feb. 6-8, I'll be at the Hotel Splendid Tour Eiffel, after that I'll be in Caen for 13 days.

I'll let you know what I think of the hotel.

It is in the Eiffel district.

My sister told me to expect that all hotel rooms are very compact, and a room for two often times is two single/twin beds, or one double with a tiny area to hang clothes, and either a very small private bathroom, or shared larger bathroom down the hall. Ours does have Wifi.

I love the places on the Left Bank - so authentic and non-Touristy.  But I was reading the reviews on that one and I will say that I find most of the small Parisian hotels shoebox size, and the beds are not made for 6'4" American man-beasts, LOL!

Granted, it was 20 years ago, but I stayed here once and would like to return: 

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d242962-Reviews-Relais_Hotel_du_Vieux_Paris-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Our family has stayed here several times and love it, as well as the neighborhood.  It's nothing fancy at all and has no elevator, but is full of Old Paris charm.  It also has a kitchen, so you can cook your own meals if you want.  And a washing machine.  It's in the Latin Quarter, close to Notre Dame.

http://www.hotel-marignan.com/