Menu

I can't even dress myself w/o the Hive ... please help me pick travel clothes

aggieamy

We are going on a three week trip at the end of May.  Some days in London and then onto a cruise through Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Estonia, and Russia.  It will be DH, myself, DD, and DS.  We want to travel light for a variety of reasons so I figured DD and I could get some travel clothes - the kind that don't wrinkle and you can wash in the sink in a pinch.  On our last long trip I bought some underroos that I could wash one/wear one and it was great.  DD is a size 4 in ladies so she can wear adult clothes.  

I would like to get a few tank tops, dresses, skirts, and sweaters that we could make a number of outfits out of and then bring a few scarves that she and I could both wear.  Neither of us mind wearing an item of clothing more than once without washing it.  We won't be doing anything to make us sweaty or dirty.  We all prefer to dress up a bit.  We rarely wear jeans and prefer a nice skirt or dress.  

How many tops, dresses, skirts, and sweaters do you think would be necessary for our trip?  

I know that she and I will need at least:

2 x underroos

A few bras

A neutral colored sweater

A trenchcoat/rain jacket

Two pairs of shoes - probably a pair of boots and a pair of dark dressy shoes

Are there any companies with travel clothes that you recommend or clothes you think would work for us?  I've looked at Chicco's (their styles seem a bit older than what DD and I are interested in), JJ Jill (small selection), REI (seem to be a bit more safari and less European cruise), and TravelSmith (great selection but no experience with their quality).  

We are planning a 2+ week trip to northern Europe around the same time. I'm taking:

1-2 skirts (LL Bean),

I black dress (REI),

2 long sleeve t shirts (Gap),

2 short sleeve t shirts (Athleta),

1 sweatshirt (Athleta),

1 nice jacket (LL Bean),

2 pairs black leggings (Gap)

an infinity scarf (REI),

2 pairs of shoes (one waterproof, one pair sneakers).

Everything goes with everything else, it can all be layered/unlayered/dressed up/dressed down as needed. And it all fits in a decent size tote bag. :)

I've never been on a cruise so your needs are probably somewhat dressier than mine, but I'd stick to a similar plan, just maybe more tailored and less athletic.

Sounds wonderful!

Maybe these lists will give you a few ideas:

http://travelfashiongirl.com/what-to-pack-for-europe-copenhagen/

http://travelfashiongirl.com/travel-essentials-packing-list/

Also, will the ship be big enough that it has laundry facilities? If so, you can pack less & plan to just turn in your clothes to the laundry once or twice as needed.

Every trip overseas I take, I always end up wearing exactly what I'd wear around home: Nice well fitting dark wash jeans and nice looking shirts (or sweaters) and my brown keen walking shoes. It's worked in London pubs and the Paris opera house and hiking in Bavaria and on a cruise to the Greek islands. I might take a pair of shorts and sandals if it's really hot weather or a wool pea coat and scarf in cool weather, but my standard uniform has never failed me. I fit in and feel comfortable wherever I go.

Eddie Bauer has a travel line. I just ordered some on sale and don't have experience traveling with it yet, but it was nice to wear to Costco. :D

I got the long sleeved Daisy wrap and a top that's no longer listed: http://m.eddiebauer.com/browse/women/travex/_/N-2785?Endeca_date=2015-01-15T15%3A00&Nf=sku.startDate%7CLTEQ+1.421334E9%7C%7Csku.endDate%7CGTEQ+1.421334E9&No=0&Nrpp=34&tab=travex&viewall=true

I brought a dress from a company called Horny Toad for my European trip last fall. Their tencel dresses are currently on sale. (And the company is changing its name later this month to Toad and Company. Go figure.)

I have a couple of Horny Toad skirts I bought thru Title IX. I love them!

And about the name change...yeah.

I went to Europe for 3 weeks three years ago. April/May. We did London, Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome - so ended in a bit warmer climate. With your travel in May in the northern region, it's going to be hard to predict whether it will be in the teens or getting up to 20's (in celsius) but I'd bet more on cool weather than hot.

I took

1 pair of shoes
1 bra
21 pr of panties
21 pr socks
3 bottoms (jeans & lulu pants & yoga pants)
7 tops (mix of long & short & tank)
1 jacket

I don't sweat through my bra & some of my tops have built in bra so I was ok with just 1 dark colored one. My undies are thin & small & easy to fit tons of them in my luggage ;)  I'd rather bring more clothes or buy clothes there than do laundry while on a trip.

London was cold when we arrived & the lesson I've learned since is that if it's cold somewhere when I arrive, buy a toque, gloves & a sweater right away.