Menu

25th anniversary need trip ideas

zimom

Help me out. My husband and I just can't decide what to do. We always thought we would go to Greece but it's just not in the budget right now.

Wants:

Stay in the US

About $2k for a week, including airfare if over 10 hours from Atlanta

Low key

Don't want:

NYC

Florida

Beach main attraction

Edited to add: likely travel May-August 2015

Kennebunkport, Maine.  Stay at the White Barn Inn. It's absolutely magical.  Go in the height of the summer. 

Or, visit the Lake Tahoe area, one of the most stunningly beautiful parts of the country.  I recommend staying in a lakefront part of South Lake Tahoe.  Something for everyone there!

I love Maine. But also consider Chicago in May or June (pretty hot and humid for July and August). The orchestra has a summer park series as well as Shakespeare in the park, Navy Pier is a delightful walk, the aquarium is great as well as the Museum of Science and Industry, the Chicago Institute of Art is fantastic, and staying downtown is fun. You can do it fairly reasonably by staying at the Holiday Inn on the River, expedia also has some nice package deals, flight and hotel combos, and getting around the city is very easy as there is a robust public transportation system.

Another lovely summer option is to fly into Detroit or Flint, rent a car, and hit Traverse Bay (Sleeping Bear Dunes is a wonderful day trip), Petoskey, Charlevoix, cross the Mackinac Bridge, and either take the ferry to the island, or drive to Sault Ste. Marie which is a really neat town, and where you can take a Locks tour or veer west and see Taquamenon Falls and tour Pictured Rocks National Seashort from Munising. Michigan is very pretty and especially in these areas. As a general rule, we are also not an expensive state to hang out in either.

I was trying not to be too specific.  Maybe I should have, although this will also show why we can't decide.  

More don'ts:  

Chicago  :)   I lived there several years growing up and have visited many times as an adult.  I do love Chicago but prefer to take my kids there.

Museums  (especially art)  

Zoos and Aquariums   (have visited many)

Events centering around alcohol (I don't drink).  My husband does but generally with company.  So I'm guessing we wouldn't enjoy a Napa Valley Tour.

San Diego (we visit every year)

New Orleans  BTDT

Not too rural.  We want some stuff to do, even if it is just walking around a quiet city.  

Dos:

Good food a must

Possibilities/Thoughts:

San Francisco ??  Husband is wondering if this would be a good location.  Ideas on things to do here.

Maine.  More ideas for Maine welcome.

Austin.  I've heard it is a nice city to visit but knowledge next to nothing.  

A national park for a day or two would be wonderful but not the whole trip.  

San Francisco sounds like a great option for what I've seen here. There is tons of stuff to do and it is just a charming city to hang out and visit. The weather would be pretty good... Might be foggy but that is normal. There are redwoods near Santa Cruz you could take a day trip to visit and tons of good places to eat.

Two of my favorite places:

Boulder, CO - Estes Park - Rocky Mountain National Park - good places to eat, shop, hike, trail rides, nice weather in the months you are considering.

Mackinac Island, MI - beautiful in the summer. Take the ferryboat to the island, no cars allowed. Rent bikes, horse-drawn carriages, or walk. Shops, events, hiking, good food.

Have you been to Washington DC?  It's got many big city attractions as well as being close enough to Shenandoah NP for a quick trip if that interests you.

It's been a long time since I've been there, but Charleston SC also comes to mind as a fun visit.

Boston?

A road trip up the northeastern coast?  (RI to ME)

I'd also suggest the Canadian maritimes (Halifax + Bay of Fundy area), but you said it had to be US...

Of your options, San Francisco does have a bit to offer, but again, a long time since I've been there to be specific.

Charleston, SC.  A huge no.  the last time we were there my husband shattered his leg :(  Long story short, I wouldn't let an unknown doctor operate on him so I threw him in the back of our SUV (almost against doctors orders) and drove him ~6 hours straight home to our ortho to have surgery.  We were having a great trip until then but my husband vowed to never return  :lol:

Washington DC.  BTDT with the kids.  Don't think my husband would enjoy it.  Too educational.  

Mackinac Island.  Went as a child.  Loved it, but the highlight was riding around the island by bike.  I ride.  My husband does not.  Will look into it more though to see what else it offers now.  I am more active then my husband.

Since you asked about Maine...

We have mountains, huge sandy beaches and rocky coves , a charming small city and endless quaint villages...Summer is ideal, meaning July or August for the best weather. June is often lovely though it can still get chilly (think coastal fog and evenings by the fire), but May can be buggy.

Personally, I would suggest Acadia National Park for a romantic destination. There is lots of great hiking, biking the carriage trails, tea and popovers at Jordan Pond, swimming in the lake or ocean, depending on the weather and your hardiness , lighthouses, even a bus that will take you all around the island if being active isn't your thing. Adjacent Bar Harbor has fantastic shopping and endless dining, plus many many romantic inns.

Let me know if you want specifics in this beautiful state! :)

Eta: congratulations on your anniversary! We just celebrated our 20th and talked about going away, but we love it here so much we didn't want to leave! :)

Sea Ranch, CA. Fly into Sac or SFO, rent vehicle and drive up there. You can rent the house online searanchrentals.com or google. It is along the coast but the beach need not be the only attraction since you would be close to the "Avenue of Giants," Luther Burbank Gardens in Santa Rosa and several coastal towns such as Mendocino with little shops, etc. There are endless trails to hike and nice amenities included in the house rentals, i.e. tennis courts and swimming pool. Weather would be very mild - not humid, around F70 - 80. There could be fog in the summer. "Beach" at the Northern CA coast is not the same as "beach" in Florida. People are not sprawled on the beach rear to rear. It is a totally different kind of coast / beach.

This would not work that well for you if you are looking for a lively nightclub scene or lots of traffic/people since it is definitely a place of peace and quiet.

Youngest and I are going to Toronto in March for a swim meet.   I just feel uncomfortable being too far away in case of emergency which is why I would rather stay in the US, or even Canada.  Although youngest's medical needs are not that great, I still know them best and the thought of being out of country and reliant on an airline to get back to her makes me very uneasy.  Even if I was across the country I know that I could rent a car and drive, worse case scenario.  

I was scheduled to fly across country on 9/12 and several from my office were stranded across country.   They drove 24+  hours home.  I'm sure this is where my irrational fear comes from.  

OK, perhaps it would be helpful to know what he likes to do as well as you.

If eating - what types?  Local diners?  Fancy places?  BBQ festivals?

:)  I nix super fancy but he loves everything.  He is the cook in the family.  The food network and sports is about all that is on in our house.  He would love to tour places from Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.   

He loves Vegas, me no. We are actually very different in many ways but have been together for 30+ years, very happily :)

He will do just about anything with me as long as it doesn't involve high activity (bike riding).  Strolling through cities, dinners, tours of the area, really just a lot of sightseeing.  We are not shoppers.  

I'd probably vote for something in California. San Francisco could be good though the weather can be a bit iffy (at least not what you expect when you think California). The coast is beautiful. San Diego could also be a great option, depending on what style you prefer. Lots of nature nearby - I would probably combine one of the cities there with some nature (i.e. San Francisco/San Diego plus some coastline or Lake Tahoe, Big Bear, Yosemite etc.).

Sea Ranch, CA. Fly into Sac or SFO, rent vehicle and drive up there. You can rent the house online searanchrentals.com or google. It is along the coast but the beach need not be the only attraction since you would be close to the "Avenue of Giants," Luther Burbank Gardens in Santa Rosa and several coastal towns such as Mendocino with little shops, etc. There are endless trails to hike and nice amenities included in the house rentals, i.e. tennis courts and swimming pool. Weather would be very mild - not humid, around F70 - 80. There could be fog in the summer. "Beach" at the Northern CA coast is not the same as "beach" in Florida. People are not sprawled on the beach rear to rear. It is a totally different kind of coast / beach.

This would not work that well for you if you are looking for a lively nightclub scene or lots of traffic/people since it is definitely a place of peace and quiet.

Last summer I did a "girls trip" to Mendocino and it was wonderful.  Good food, nature, shopping...

Listening in, we have our 30th next year... :)

I'd avoid flying with that budget. From Atlanta, I'd look at St. George Isl, FL in August. They start "fall" rates in August, and it'll be just beautiful. Rent a little house in the Plantation or the East End. You can likely find something under $1500, leaving a little spare $$ for special outings. Go to dinner at the Owl Cafe in Appalachicola for a special night.