Menu

Very Structured Math Curriculum for 1st grader?

scbusf

My oldest DD is turning 7 next week and she is currently using Miquon math.  I like it, but it's a bit loosey-goosey for her.  She really wants to just be able to go to the next thing without having to ask me for every single thing.

She is somewhat advanced in math - I would guess she's doing end of 1st grade work right now.  (She was adopted from China and I expect her to continue to excel in math, especially if I can find the right format for her.)  She also likes her pages to be colorful.

So:

Colorful pages

Very structured for her

Reasonable cost

Well, it isn't colorful but CLE is structured, more independent, and a reasonable cost.  It is also written more to the student.  DD LOVES CLE Math.  It does have a bit of religious content, but if that is an issue it is honestly easy to cut out.  Also, it is fairly simple to speed up or slow down the lessons as needed.

Also, Math In Focus is structured and has lots of colorful pages.  You can usually get everything used, but in near new condition, through Amazon.

Math Mammoth might work as well, but the pages are a bit too busy for my kiddos...don't know if that would be a problem for yours?

I vote for Math Mammoth. We recently made the switch from Miquon to MM for the very same reason. My DD loved it and learned so much math, but she hated waiting for instruction from mom. She wants to pull out a few sheets and work through them herself. She is my workbook kid and doesn't mind a sheet full of problems either. I print it out in color to make it "pretty" for her. 

Saxon--take the test to see what level (I'd predict a level ahead).

Make it colorful by using colored pencils to fill in the worksheets, and ditch the meeting book--not the meeting itself, but do the calendar and numberline on a big piece of posterboard using colorful sticky notes and make a line around the room just below the ceiling using index cards (colored if you want).

Well, since virtually everyone else's favorite math programs have been mentioned, I might as well recommend Singapore Math. We have really liked the Standard's edition, which is quite colorful. I am not quite sure how to interpret your term "structured," but I found that Singapore moved along easily with ideas building upon one another. Although not completely open-and-go for the parent (you need to read to Home Instructor's Guide to make sure that you are presenting the material in the actual Singapore fashion), a strong math student could easily work very independently in the workbook after covering the material in the textbook with the parent. And for a really good math student, I suspect the presentation could be pretty brief. Plus the instructor's guide has extra suggestions for enrichment.