Menu

Ideas for packed lunches

Night Elf

Dd16 takes her lunch to school every day. She must be getting bored with the few things she always has. We need something that will keep in a lunch box. I do have the frozen ice packs. The lunch bag is insulated.

She likes chicken salad in pita bread, and roast beef or turkey on a hoagie roll. What other ideas can you come up with? We bought 6" flour tortillas but we don't know what to do with them. What about hummus? Will that keep with an ice pack against it?

Salads were a favourite in our house, as was the likes of cottage cheese (as a side dish). I also remember packing casseroles of all sorts for the kids, which once heated at school, comforted me knowing they had something hot to eat.

As for using ice packs, my husband goes that route with his daily lunch and there has never been a problem, and I pack him all sorts of easily spoilable food.

With salads you can also add things like walnuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, etc, just to add extra variety and interest to the plain old.

Today dd took a thermos of chili, a container of shredded cheese, homemade mini corn muffins. She meant to take a small orange, but that got left out.

Yesterday was new potatoes made into miniature twice baked potatoes, extra slices of cheese (cut into star shapes with a food punch), blanched broccoli, small orange. It was all in a bento box; we didn't bother with ice, and it was fine. It is cold here right now, and the studios where she's attending a workshop are kept reasonably cool since they're dancing.

Tomorrow was going to be mini hamburgers from one of our bento cookbooks, but she said she'd rather do the potatoes again (we'd made a big batch and frozen the extras).

Sometimes she likes a container of hummus with a bunch of vegetables to dip. Hard boiled eggs are good, and you can learn cut them into cool shapes from bento books and websites.

Dd loved the bento box method and used it for years. I especially liked that she would take a variety of items and we found that even just a few bites of something was worth saving because it could be tucked into her bento lunch. Two small meatballs left? One radish? Three cherry tomatoes? A sliver of cheddar? All good things to go into a lunch. 

Dd16 takes her lunch to school every day. She must be getting bored with the few things she always has. We need something that will keep in a lunch box. I do have the frozen ice packs. The lunch bag is insulated.

She likes chicken salad in pita bread, and roast beef or turkey on a hoagie roll. What other ideas can you come up with? We bought 6" flour tortillas but we don't know what to do with them. What about hummus? Will that keep with an ice pack against it?

Has she expressed boredom with her choices?  I have always been content with eating just a few different things especially for breakfast and lunch.

Dh always takes what is leftover from previous night's dinner. If there is nothing, we always have cooked rice on hand into which I slice any and all vegetables on hand, some of his favorite Aidell's sausages, ground beef or chicken cubes. I would add some kind of fruit like banana, orange, apple, pear, mangoes or pineapples in a separate container.