Menu

Recurrent Stomach Pain in Child - questions

pink&bluemommy

The child is a boy, 8 years old.  This seems to occur about monthly.  He will wake up, eat and then start complaining of nausea/stomach pain around his belly button.  He will be hungry and eat normally throughout the day but tends to have worse pains after eating something.  He doesn't throw up or have diarrhea during these occurrences.  I haven't done anything to track food/digestion to this point.  Before this current bout (today), I always thought it was a little constipation.  He has been going regularly this past week, but did struggle with a little constipation at the beginning of last week at the start of our vacation.  The past few days he has been a little weepy, depressed, and anxious, particularly at bedtime.  The stomach pain will kind of come and go throughout the day.  He manages to play outside some, and jump on our indoor trampoline at times.  We do use some essential oils so when he has one of these, i tend to start on the digestzen on the stomach for the nausea/pain and some onguard on his feet because I'm never quite sure if its a bug or one of his bouts when it starts off.  I've been googling today and am pondering a few things, but thought I'd see if it triggered anything in your mothering experiences.  I've started a food/poop/feelings/pain journal for him to see if anything jumps out as a trigger.

No chewing gum.  He eats dairy, red meat, and probably all those things above without a problem most times.  We did have frozen orange chicken last night, and we have it somewhat regularly, though I never have been able to pinpoint the culprit because I wasn't paying attention.  We will see I guess.  For the most part I make everything from scratch except on rare occasions.

Guest submarines

Describing my DS when he was 8... For him it was gluten. He's been gluten free for a couple of years now, and no stomach / belly button aches at all. His bowel movement are still somewhat on the tighter side--he goes once every couple of days...but this has been normal for him.

Guest submarines

Even with the stomach pain being infrequent? This kid likes gluten foods less than my other kids. He rarely eats the bread I make (grind my own wheat). Though he eats other gluten containing foods, pancakes, quick breads, etc.

Interesting. When DS was having his pains, DD was already GF, so we had less gluten foods in the house already, so DS was definitely on a reduced intake. DS's episodes were once every couple of months--those were the big ones that he'd complain, but I wonder if there was a level of discomfort in between as well. He's a pretty easy going and stoic kid. I couldn't relate it to any food easily.

Then he had a bad episode--he was crying in pain. Took him to the ER, waited for 5 hours, so obviously he was pain free by the time they saw us. Since DD was already GF (for other issues), I simply decided he'd be GF as well. In the last 2+ years he complained of stomach ache maybe 3 times, and each time it was gas and resolved easily.

I'm sure everyone's different, but I'm jus sharing our experiences, as what you describe is very similar to DS's issues when he was younger. I hope you find what works for your DS.

If it only happens once in a while, I'd consider abdominal migraines, as others have suggested.  That was how one of my daughters first started getting migraines.  Eventually they became the more typical headache migraines, but not until she was a teen.

On the other hand, if it happens regularly after eating, it could be his diet.  My son had stomach pains for years, and finally when he went gluten and dairy free, his stomach aches went away.