Menu

A relateable post on "When God Stops Making Sense"

Joanne

Interesting to read. Sad that he seems not to have experienced unconditional love from those who claim to know Christ.

My experience of Christianity is very different from the one he grew up with and left. His description reads a like caricature of the Christianity, the path that I am walking, the God that I know. Some of the same vocabulary but not the same reality behind the words.

It defines and explains a lot of what I went through. The order of my deconversion was different. The Jesus the author re-embraced was a Jesus I tried to embrace as a liberal Christian but ultimately decided that Christians weren't a community of support for my faith.

http://jasonis.wordpress.com/2014/12/09/when-god-stops-making-sense/

I'm sorry you experienced Christianity as 'not a community support for your faith'.  But what about the truth issues?  Even when I am frustrated with my faith community, which occurs much more often than I would like, I still feel an obligation?  joy?  inevitability?  in seeking Truth in God.

I'm sorry you experienced Christianity as 'not a community support for your faith'.  But what about the truth issues?  Even when I am frustrated with my faith community, which occurs much more often than I would like, I still feel an obligation?  joy?  inevitability?  in seeking Truth in God.

I know your question was directed toward Joanne, but I don't understand what you're asking. Truth is God, I believe. And I THINK that's what you're saying. Are you asking how you can find this (God, Truth) outside of Christianity?

Perhaps this quote from the linked blog post will help address your question? (Emphasis added):

See, everything you know has changed. Everything you know has had to restart. You have no idea how to relate to the world around you without weighing every step you take against that beloved pseudo-deity sitting on your shoulder. It’s obvious that something is missing. That’s when you encounter kindness not as a means to an end but as a way of life and you feel like your eyes are beginning to open. 

The joy and obligation is still there, it's just directed at helping and loving those we encounter in this life, and not because we expect some grand reward when we die. 

Personally, the "obligation" to seeking Truth in God fell away as the people most adamant about following His word shared increasingly hateful messages that were inconsistent with my values and beliefs. It was like a line of dominoes. One belief was questioned (where is the love and kindness in Christianity?) followed by another (there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies in the Bible), to another, until my core belief in God could no longer stand.  

I know your question was directed toward Joanne, but I don't understand what you're asking. Truth is God, I believe. And I THINK that's what you're saying. Are you asking how you can find this (God, Truth) outside of Christianity?

No, that's not it.

It's that even at my most exasperated, I still (speaking for myself) have to be Christian because I can't deny its truth.  I can't say, no this isn't true, just because there are aspects of it that don't play out the way I think (or the way the Bible says) they should.  

No, that's not it.

It's that even at my most exasperated, I still (speaking for myself) have to be Christian because I can't deny its truth.  I can't say, no this isn't true, just because there are aspects of it that don't play out the way I think (or the way the Bible says) they should.  

The more I studied and prayed, the less true it became to me. TRUTH became important, but Christian truth became an oxy-moron.

I'm very imaginative, but I can't imagine a universe without God existing.  It's beyond me--I have thought about this a lot, and it's really not something I can even fathom, personally.  (I know that others can, am not speaking for anyone but myself.)

One does not have to believe in Christianity to believe in a higher, organizing force.

The more I studied and prayed, the less true it became to me. TRUTH became important, but Christian truth became an oxy-moron.

Maybe you saw a gap between "Christian truth" and God's truth. In that case, always go with God's truth! :)

The title caught my eye because one of the most difficult things for an analytical person is to find "sense" in a God whose ways are not our ways and whose frame of reference is infinite.