Menu

n/m

Love

Are there no other OB's in the area?

I had all these same thoughts with my 6th (who is now 6).   I really had to narrow down what bugged me about previous births and what I could do to fix that.  I didn't like being in a large group, or getting whoever was on call.  I hated my appointments in that office.

I found a one-woman OB office and loved it.  Appts were on time.  Nurses were fabulous.  And I knew she'd be the one at the delivery.  I looked at the hospital website for which OB's had privileges at that hospital.  Then I called those offices and asked questions.   Everything I thought was confirmed through my whole pregnancy and then at the birth.  The OB I chose was wonderful all the way through post-partum care and I'm glad I chose the same hospital but a different OB.

Why not ask some of the local moms? They'll have had experiences with your exact local hospitals. Meet the staff at both, If you like Hospital 1, then openly share your concerns with the folks at hospital #1 about it. There could be new staff, but if your youngest is 2 and its a small town, then probably not...Actually a "small" town with 2 hospitals probably isn't so small. sp maybe....

Good luck whatever you decide and happy birthing whatever you choose.

I would go with the more advanced local hospital.  You are attempting a VBAC, there could be complications, you will feel better knowing you have the most advanced medical options available.  But if you can swing it, bringing the midwife with you sounds like a great idea.  If there is any tension, and I really doubt there will be, she could be a buffer between you and the staff.

I chose a rotating group at the hospital with the best reputation for the type of birth I wanted. I disliked not knowing who I was going to get (I loved knowing my midwife well with my four home births), but it worked out ok. I scheduled my appointments with different midwives each time so that I could meet everyone. I got one of my favorites for the birth.

If your anxiety about a repeat experience at the NICU is keeping you up at night, hospital #2 might be the better option. What's that NICU's reputation? Some NICUs are more open to parental involvement/presence than others.

Another option to throw into the mix...  There is one homebirth midwife (who I know and like) who will accompany moms to the first hospital.  She has a good working relationship with the staff, and has really helped some moms in labor there get the care they wanted.  

What do you think?

I like this option.  I think that you should talk to this midwife - if she's okay with the home birth vbac with possible transfer to hospital 1 that's great.  And if she will accompany you to the hospital for the vbac if she doesn't want to do home birth vbac, then that's great too.  She can be your go between person.  The buffer between you and those at the hospital.  

Another option to throw into the mix...  There is one homebirth midwife (who I know and like) who will accompany moms to the first hospital.  She has a good working relationship with the staff, and has really helped some moms in labor there get the care they wanted.  

I like this option. Let her advocate for you.   :001_smile:

I've only had 2, so you have WAY more experience than me! But just wanted to throw out that there are some OB's who deliver their own patients, even if they work in a practice that doesn't necessarily operate that way. My OB made it a point to deliver his patients unless he was out of town. The other docs in his practice rotated. So it might be an option at one of those offices near you, if that makes the decision easier for you. May be worth a phone call/asking around.

Otherwise, I agree with others that the midwife + hospital option sounds like a winner.

Congrats on #9!!!

I like this option. I think that you should talk to this midwife - if she's okay with the home birth vbac with possible transfer to hospital 1 that's great. And if she will accompany you to the hospital for the vbac if she doesn't want to do home birth vbac, then that's great too. She can be your go between person. The buffer between you and those at the hospital.

I think that's what I would do too. She can act as a doula if you or she feel that a transfer is necessary.

If anyone has any thoughts as to why you went into labor at 30w and can shed some light on whether it's likely to happen again, that might also help. I'm generally a very pro home birthing mama (have had a freestanding birth center birth and four homebirths myself), but I'm a low risk mama. I wouldn't want to be planning a homebirth if early labor was likely to happen again.

I've only had 2, so you have WAY more experience than me! But just wanted to throw out that there are some OB's who deliver their own patients, even if they work in a practice that doesn't necessarily operate that way. My OB made it a point to deliver his patients unless he was out of town. The other docs in his practice rotated. So it might be an option at one of those offices near you, if that makes the decision easier for you. May be worth a phone call/asking around.

Otherwise, I agree with others that the midwife + hospital option sounds like a winner.

Congrats on #9!!!

Yes! I had my twins in a hospital after having my first two singletons at home, and I found an OB who agreed to be there to catch my twins, unless he was out of town or otherwise just absolutely unable to do it. I did not have to utilize the rotating call schedule. I also had all my prenatal appointments with him. I was not comfortable with rotating through providers. It worked out quite well. 

I'm a NICU nurse, and have often dealt with repeat families, some of those of the 'problem' variety. I have never been less than welcoming and professional, and have never observed my coworkers being anything but welcoming and professional. Yes, you may likely be remembered, but so what? Healthcare providers are used to working with people under less than ideal circumstances. You can and should be expected to be treated with the same level of care and respect given to non 'problem' patients.

I would go to the second hospital, because I'm worried you have have some very traumatic associatoins with the first one. If you have flashbacks and get tense that could dramatically effect your labor. 

In my opinion the "better" thought of hospitals generally just have nicer food. 

My sister was planning a homebirth and was very anxious when due to complications she had to go to the closest (charity) hospital at the last minute for an emergency caesarian. It ended up being an amazing experience, they were very supportive of her very specific plans, supportive of home birth, considerate and caring.  I wouldn't recommend one for pain issues (they see a lot more drug seeking behavior), but for birth issues they were great, and very respectful of her care plans- she's anti vaccine, she wanted the placenta for encapsulation, and there were a few other strange things she wanted, like never having the baby out of her DH's sight to ensure no vaccines, etc.  They were completely respectful about ALL of it. If you hated the other place, try the charity hospital.

Also, can you go tour the first hospital? I know you have been there before, but you can see how you react, emotionally, to being there again. If it sets you off, gives you a rapid heart rate, makes you feel a bit sick, etc, it is better to know now than in labor. Those reactions would signal an adrenaline release, which would slow/stop labor.